vehicle tracking - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > '11-Up Upgrades and Aftermarket

'11-Up Upgrades and Aftermarket Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2011-Up Super Duty.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 10:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (16)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
vehicle tracking

I'm looking at a vehicle tracking device that hard wires under the dash of the vehicle for about $150 and can be tracked on a smart phone. Prior to ordering, I'm wondering if the truck can be tracked through it's navigation system and Ford Sync in the event it's stolen; anyone know?
2012 F-350 SD Crew Cab, SRW, LWB, 4 X 4, FX4 Offroad, Bilsteins, AirLift Air Bags, BedLocker electric bed cover, White Platinum w/Adobe, Navigation, Moon Roof, 5th Wheel Prep, Step Tail Gate, King Ranch Package

'99 E-350 HiTop Companion Van Conversion, 7.3 SD Diesel, 5-tune DP Tuner, Triple AutoMeter C2 A-pillar gauge pod, twin K&N's, 203* mod, Deraler tubed trannie pan, B&M trannie cooler, AirLift air bags, Bilsteins, 4" DiamondEye turbo back exhaust, US Gear Underdrive Auxillary Transmission
clev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 04:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Don't think sync would help track anything, seeing that it uses your phone as its connection to outside world... ( I think)
Custom~ fabbed rear bumper, tarp gantry, rear warning led setup, SEIC & rear strobe control panel (in the drivers side powerpoint trim)
And more to come

'99 F350 XLT CC LB 4x4 dually 7.3, Dents build character 408,000ish miles on the clock (2nd motor)
'93 Exploder Sport, 5.0 swap, 4r70w+Baumann TCS, Atlas 2 T-case 3.8:1 twin stick, Narrowed D44 '79 f150 solid axle swap, bunch o other junk...
'69 Ford rust bucket, err Bronco, "resto"/mods in the planning stages
Wolf451 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 07:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf451 View Post
Don't think sync would help track anything, seeing that it uses your phone as its connection to outside world... ( I think)
The navigation and Sync stand alone and do not need the phone to be functional.
2012 F-350 SD Crew Cab, SRW, LWB, 4 X 4, FX4 Offroad, Bilsteins, AirLift Air Bags, BedLocker electric bed cover, White Platinum w/Adobe, Navigation, Moon Roof, 5th Wheel Prep, Step Tail Gate, King Ranch Package

'99 E-350 HiTop Companion Van Conversion, 7.3 SD Diesel, 5-tune DP Tuner, Triple AutoMeter C2 A-pillar gauge pod, twin K&N's, 203* mod, Deraler tubed trannie pan, B&M trannie cooler, AirLift air bags, Bilsteins, 4" DiamondEye turbo back exhaust, US Gear Underdrive Auxillary Transmission
Old 11-19-2012, 08:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

LoJack
2012 F-250 SC 4x4
outlw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 08:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlw View Post
LoJack
Why pay a monthly fee?

Old 11-19-2012, 11:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clev View Post
The navigation and Sync stand alone and do not need the phone to be functional.
Yeah I understand that, but I don't think either system has a outgoing data radio.

ETA: I'll also guess that the $150 tracker will probably require at minimum a sim card with sms enabled to allow remote tracking via smart phone, if I'm wrong I really would like to know what system it is
Custom~ fabbed rear bumper, tarp gantry, rear warning led setup, SEIC & rear strobe control panel (in the drivers side powerpoint trim)
And more to come

'99 F350 XLT CC LB 4x4 dually 7.3, Dents build character 408,000ish miles on the clock (2nd motor)
'93 Exploder Sport, 5.0 swap, 4r70w+Baumann TCS, Atlas 2 T-case 3.8:1 twin stick, Narrowed D44 '79 f150 solid axle swap, bunch o other junk...
'69 Ford rust bucket, err Bronco, "resto"/mods in the planning stages

Last edited by Wolf451; 11-19-2012 at 11:15 PM.
Wolf451 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 07:22 AM   #7 (permalink)

You're probably right on the Nav. The tracker I saw advertised tracking with any smart phone. I'll check it further and let you know.

Old 11-23-2012, 09:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
Dak

My Photos: (1)
I thought LoJack was one flat fee, not a monthly fee... The online vehicle trackers I have found all have a monthly fee.

FWIW, may want to look at the generic 'onstar' -- no one would really be looking for that in a non-gm vehicle.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:44 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dak View Post
I thought LoJack was one flat fee, not a monthly fee... The online vehicle trackers I have found all have a monthly fee.

FWIW, may want to look at the generic 'onstar' -- no one would really be looking for that in a non-gm vehicle.
Yah but the big and real thick mirror are a dead giveaway that can be ripped out and tossed out the window.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Term3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 12:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

Yeah, after closer reading, there are monthly fees with the one's I was researching. I'll give LoJack a quick look.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
Dak

My Photos: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Term3 View Post
Yah but the big and real thick mirror are a dead giveaway that can be ripped out and tossed out the window.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
In the real one, there is a separate control box that is hidden (or built in to the ECM/PCM). Not sure how that any brand one works. If it is 100% in the mirror than,yes, you are SOL.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:58 PM   #12 (permalink)

Yes, the add-on OnStar is all in the mirror and it looks like bloody brick with a mirror glued on. Way too obvious that all a car thief would need to do is grab hold and heave it out the window as he's driving away with your ride.

Last edited by Term3; 11-23-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:50 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clev View Post
Yeah, after closer reading, there are monthly fees with the one's I was researching. I'll give LoJack a quick look.
I happen to work for LoJack and know a lot about it. If anyone has any questions please let me know. Thx.

Jason
jasonthemason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 12:33 PM   #14 (permalink)

Is LoJack available in Canada?
Old 02-11-2013, 02:10 PM   #15 (permalink)

Cool LoJack story. Only one of 13 cars had a LoJack but it led to the recovery of all 13 and broke up a theft ring. http://www.autotheftblog.com/2013/02...to-theft-ring/
jasonthemason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > '11-Up Upgrades and Aftermarket

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.