What a mess! - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > '11-Up Upgrades and Aftermarket

'11-Up Upgrades and Aftermarket Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2011-Up Super Duty.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 07:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What a mess!

Completed my first oil change yesterday and although everything is very accessable, I was caught by suprise when the oil gushed out of the oil pan!! I was quick enough to raise the catch pan quickly, but the resulting slash was very messy. Then that tiny filter drained a large amount of oil before I twisted it completely off to drain same. This is not how my 7.3 acted.
So first thing this a.m. I ordered my Fumoto Oil Drain Plug similar to what I had on my 7.3. I can then add a small piece of hose to reduce spillage to almost nothing.
It should be noted that my pan has a standard plug, not that yellow gizmo I watched on UTUBE. As such, ordering from Fumoto was possible.
2012 F 350 S/C 4X4 Lariat - Armaguard liner, OEM rear wheel tubs, adobe powder coated cab guard & fifth wheel gate, Beamer HID's, Rigid 20" light with adobe bar, Kenwood stereo with Nav & back up camera, flush mount led b/u lights
Cowcop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 10:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

Has anybody noticed that the oil pan is different on the 2012 F550 than on the 2011F 250? My F550 has a steel pan with a regular threaded drain plug as opposed to the plastic pan and quarter turn drain plug of the 11 250.

2011 F250 CC Lariat Ultimate, Royal Red/Pale Adobe, 18" wheels, 3.31 locker, 172"WB factory Nav/Sync,etc.

Also have a 1997 F450 7.3 XLT with 14' box, Hypertech programmer
1987 F350 6.9 Banks Sidewinder, 12' box
Still going at 200K+
Traded:08 F250 CC 4x4 Lariat, 172"WB
Traded:01 F350 CC 4x4 Lariat, 172"WB
SCORPIO26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 09:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (15)
mine is steel and reg plug it's a 250
Old 12-05-2012, 10:36 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (29)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPIO26 View Post
Has anybody noticed that the oil pan is different on the 2012 F550 than on the 2011F 250? My F550 has a steel pan with a regular threaded drain plug as opposed to the plastic pan and quarter turn drain plug of the 11 250.
Yeah, Ford changed it in Nov 2011. I had to "train" my dealer about this. They didn't have a clue when I picked my truck up last March.

2002 F250 CC, 4X4 - Sold
2004 F350 CC, FX4, loaded - Sold
2006 F350 CC, DRW, FX4 - Sold
lincster is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 12:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

Have Fumoto waiting to be installed once I drain the oil in the next couple of weeks!!!
Old 12-05-2012, 01:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

I've just never found it a big deal. Even with my 1/4 turn yellow plug.

I put a 5 gallon pail in line with the oil drain and pull the plug. at first it arches to the far side of the bucket and as it slows it drips straight down to the near side of the bucket.

I punch the filter and let it drain for a bit before I start to turn it.

http://www.fuelly.com/sig-us/59436.png
Painted Horse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 11:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

The normal method Painted, but when you use a flat catch pail from the 7.3 era, where the oil does not shoot out with the intensity of the 6.7 , you have to react to the extra flow.
The oil filter drips as you unscrew it for several minutes longer than the 7.3 which is yet another, but minor suprise. (I drain filter after it is off)
We have adapted and we will overcome and this was never a big deal, just a messy observation.
2012 F 350 S/C 4X4 Lariat - Armaguard liner, OEM rear wheel tubs, adobe powder coated cab guard & fifth wheel gate, Beamer HID's, Rigid 20" light with adobe bar, Kenwood stereo with Nav & back up camera, flush mount led b/u lights
Old 12-08-2012, 09:59 AM   #8 (permalink)

I have the steel pan and last time I changed the oil I still had a huge mess. Don't remember what went wrong, but I do remember the big mess! I was glad that I had already ordered a Fumoto valve (yes, I was thinking ahead), and put it on after the mess was cleaned up.

I'll be due for the second oil change any time now, and am actually looking forward to it!

One thing nice about the Fumoto is you can get a sample of oil if you want for analysis.

Also, I have a small, portable plastic oil pan that only holds 10 quarts that I like. I just shut off the Fumoto after it gets about 3/4 full, empty the plastic pan, and then continue.
United States Navy Veteran
juneau92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 02:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

Sliding a 5 gallon bucket under the drain solved any mess issues for me.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
NAHFWT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 09:15 AM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (17)
Greetings, Friends!
Here's a trick I learned and previously posted here years ago:
Remove the oil fill cap under the hood and put the hose of your shop vac over it & turn the vac on. No, you are NOT going to vaccuum oil out of the engine. 'Just putting a little negative pressure (vaccuum) on the internals which won't hurt a thing. Have a catch pan in place just in case & remove the drain plug. At this point no oil should drain out, but you should hear air bubbling up through the oil which still won't hurt a thing. Go back up top and remove the shop vac hose from the oil fill tube and the oil will drain normally. You have just avoided the dreaded "oil bath".
My 6.7 hasn't been delivered yet so I haven't done an oil change on one of these yet, but it seems to me that this shop vac trick should also work for removing the filter without a mess. Maybe someone will give it a try & let us know how it works.
'Later
Warren (wpetko)
2013 F-350 Lariat 6.7 L PSD Crew Cab Dually, FX4, white platinum metalic tri-coat with black interior, N-Fab step bars, factory spray-in bedliner and 5th wheel hitch, trailer tow package, integrated brake controller, upfitter switches, Sync with My Ford Touch, memory group, remote start, reverse sensing with rear view camera, nav, satillite radio, Weather Tech floor mats, limited slip diff, moon roof, climate controlled seats, engine block heater and tailgate step.

2014 Lifestyle (formerly Carriage) 5th wheel 38' long with 3 slides & all the goodies.

SOLD: 2005 F-350 Lariat, 6.0 PSD, Torqueshift auto trans, crew cab, SRW, short box, FX4, ESOF, limited slip dif., tow command, upfitter switches, 6 CD changer, Lariat Lux. package, camper package, engine block heater, triple A-pillar gauge set (Autometer) with pyrometer, trans temp & voltmeter, MBRP 4" cat back exhaust w/5" dual wall chrome tip, dark shadow gray/ med. flint interior.
wpetko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 04:41 PM   #11 (permalink)

Now that is a new one! Thanks....
Old 12-11-2012, 09:55 AM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (17)
Oops! I forgot to mention that I've installed several Fomoto valves for friends WITHOUT draining the oil using my "shop vac trick".
2013 F-350 Lariat 6.7 L PSD Crew Cab Dually, FX4, white platinum metalic tri-coat with black interior, N-Fab step bars, factory spray-in bedliner and 5th wheel hitch, trailer tow package, integrated brake controller, upfitter switches, Sync with My Ford Touch, memory group, remote start, reverse sensing with rear view camera, nav, satillite radio, Weather Tech floor mats, limited slip diff, moon roof, climate controlled seats, engine block heater and tailgate step.

2014 Lifestyle (formerly Carriage) 5th wheel 38' long with 3 slides & all the goodies.

SOLD: 2005 F-350 Lariat, 6.0 PSD, Torqueshift auto trans, crew cab, SRW, short box, FX4, ESOF, limited slip dif., tow command, upfitter switches, 6 CD changer, Lariat Lux. package, camper package, engine block heater, triple A-pillar gauge set (Autometer) with pyrometer, trans temp & voltmeter, MBRP 4" cat back exhaust w/5" dual wall chrome tip, dark shadow gray/ med. flint interior.
wpetko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 05:57 PM   #13 (permalink)

So someone could crawl under the truck and open this valve? By hand? Hmm sounds like convenience but sceptical.
2012 6.7 DRW Lariat 4x4 crew, tuxedo metallic black with black leather interior. Factory installed gooseneck prep. 8,000 Miles and still satisfied! (Warranty items so far - Rear tailgate emblem, drivers exterior mirror, steering box, front tow hook)
Munfrobie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 07:49 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munfrobie View Post
So someone could crawl under the truck and open this valve? By hand? Hmm sounds like convenience but sceptical.

Does anyone know where I can get a FOMOTO valve, that is being referred to here?
VermontWayne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 08:44 PM   #15 (permalink)
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

http://www.dieselorings.com

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM
RT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > '11-Up Upgrades and Aftermarket

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.