What upgrades can you add to a 6.7L? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'11-16 Upgrades and Aftermarket Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2011-Up Super Duty.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What upgrades can you add to a 6.7L?

Im buying a 2016 6.7 Powerstroke and I was wondering what upgrades I can add and still make it through emissions. Will a straight pipe coming from the turbo pass emissions or do I have to keep my converter? This is in Maryland.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 05:13 PM

Why not just drive the truck some and see if you really think you need any of these mods? This is not your dad's 7.3 nor 6.0 engines and trucks.
HeavyAssault likes this.

Larry

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat 6.7L CCLB DRW 3.73 Limited Slip, Green Gem Metallic w/ Caribou accent, Camper Package, Titan 65gal tank, Rapid Heat, Block Heater, Upfitter Switches, Dual Alternators, Camper Package, Cable Lock, Husky Floor Liners, Spray in Bedliner, 5th Wheel Prep, 25K 5th Wheel Hitch, Ford Goose Neck Hitch.

Traded 2011 F350 XLT CCLB SRW 6.2L gasser 6,000 miles for 2015

Sold 1996 F350 XLT CCLB DRW 7.3L 208,000 miles

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 03:58 AM

What he said. Enjoy your truck, and it is good to stay stock for the meantime since your rig is still under warranty.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 03:31 PM

it's so nice the way it is, just drive it it's smooth and quiet and powerful, no mods necessary IMO

2016 F-3506.7 PSD, Crew Cab, Long bed, Lariat with the Ultimate package, Fx4, Bench seat in the front, tan interior, white platinum with Caribou accent 5th wheel prep package, 3.55 rear end with Electronic lockers - Purchased New

2002 F-350 Crew Cab Long Bed, Lariat, 4x4, Automatic, , In-Tank Hutch Mod, Edge Insight Monitor. 320k miles

2000. Stock F-350 XLT 330K+ miles, white, 4x4, 6 spd manual, extended cab, Long Bed. Marinco Block Heater Mod, Tymar Intake. 4" Turbo Back Straight pipe, In-Tank Hutch Mod, Swamps Diesel 175/146 injectors - with TS Performance 6 position chip
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 08:40 AM

I did the dpf,egr and def delete recently. Also added a CAI and 5" downpipe back exhaust with a 30" resonator.

Truck runs amazingly well and is quiet.

Also have a 6" lift and 37's.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-25-2016, 09:29 AM

For over 10 years, I used to teach people how to drive their brand new Porsches at Road Atlanta. They would take delivery of their shiny new car and then Porsche would sponsor driver education events so the new owner would know how to handle their finely engineered vehicles. Invariably, the first question of the new owner would be, what upgrades should I do to this car. Even though they just spent+$70,000 on a new sports car, they thought the engineers missed something (like a special oil - OMG) that could be improved by a guy in a garage with an idea. Anyway, after two days with me on a track, they learned about what that new car could do and i guarantee they always walked away amazed. To be fair, once they learned how they wanted to drive their car - after learning all they could about the car in stock form - we would talk about enhancing something. Anyway, regardless of the equipment, learn it as you bought it, then note what you like and don't like, and apply those lessons. It'll save you a bunch a money and disappointment.

That being said, I changed the stock rear springs for a more compliant ride, supplemented with air bags. Next will be the EGR and DPF when the warranty expires - the inconsistency of the DEF fluid level and low fuel economy is my incentive. But I will make sure it is as quiet as stock - love a quiet sleeper monster motor.
McGuire4 likes this.

2016 F-450 Platinum, triple-black
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Pilot View Post
For over 10 years, I used to teach people how to drive their brand new Porsches at Road Atlanta. They would take delivery of their shiny new car and then Porsche would sponsor driver education events so the new owner would know how to handle their finely engineered vehicles. Invariably, the first question of the new owner would be, what upgrades should I do to this car. Even though they just spent+$70,000 on a new sports car, they thought the engineers missed something (like a special oil - OMG) that could be improved by a guy in a garage with an idea. Anyway, after two days with me on a track, they learned about what that new car could do and i guarantee they always walked away amazed. To be fair, once they learned how they wanted to drive their car - after learning all they could about the car in stock form - we would talk about enhancing something. Anyway, regardless of the equipment, learn it as you bought it, then note what you like and don't like, and apply those lessons. It'll save you a bunch a money and disappointment.

That being said, I changed the stock rear springs for a more compliant ride, supplemented with air bags. Next will be the EGR and DPF when the warranty expires - the inconsistency of the DEF fluid level and low fuel economy is my incentive. But I will make sure it is as quiet as stock - love a quiet sleeper monster motor.
Very well said!

2016 F-3506.7 PSD, Crew Cab, Long bed, Lariat with the Ultimate package, Fx4, Bench seat in the front, tan interior, white platinum with Caribou accent 5th wheel prep package, 3.55 rear end with Electronic lockers - Purchased New

2002 F-350 Crew Cab Long Bed, Lariat, 4x4, Automatic, , In-Tank Hutch Mod, Edge Insight Monitor. 320k miles

2000. Stock F-350 XLT 330K+ miles, white, 4x4, 6 spd manual, extended cab, Long Bed. Marinco Block Heater Mod, Tymar Intake. 4" Turbo Back Straight pipe, In-Tank Hutch Mod, Swamps Diesel 175/146 injectors - with TS Performance 6 position chip
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrgh View Post
Why not just drive the truck some and see if you really think you need any of these mods? This is not your dad's 7.3 nor 6.0 engines and trucks.
Agreed. The 6.7 comes from Ford as a beast. I also have no clue on Maryland emissions as I live in Florida but I would guess that if there is any type of emissions testing going with a straight pipe would not pass.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 03:14 PM

I came from a tuned 6.4 fully deleted. Love the power of my 6.7 15. Doing nothing to it. Running it as is. Get some seat time in yours.

2015 F-350 Drw Platinum PSD.
2016 385 Fuzion Toy Hauler
2013 Can-Am Maverick Xrs
2015 Can-Am maverick Xds Turbo
07 Can-Am 800 xt
08 Can-Am 500 Renegade
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 08:42 AM

I've had my 15 F350 2 years and have left the engine stock.
But coming from a Spartan tuned 08 F350 with 5" turbo back exhaust putting out 525 hp and 1100 ft/lbs to the rear wheels; my stock 15 F350 seems totally gutless. The turbo lag is very bad. One big turbo compared to 2 small ones on the 6.4, and 25 psi boost vs 40+psi on the 6.4 make for lack luster performance on the 6.7
That being said I'm not going to tune my 15...for now anyway.
The 15 does handle and drive much nicer than my 08 and even my 12 F350.....just wish it had a bit more of the obnoxious instant power my 6.4 had. But that's tuned vs stock for you ; )

Chrome ash tray with extra LED light!
Blacked out rear view mirror
Badazz sticker on bumper
3.5" x 10" exhaust tip.....painted BLACK!!!
One floormat...hope to get a Wethertek one someday!
Lots of really cool black stuff! Yes I'm a rebel!
TWO pairs of BLACK Driving gloves (made from GENUINE Saskatchewan seal skin)
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 08:18 PM

I hope that I never end up with a used 2007+ diesel truck that someone thought they had "upgraded". We pulled 15K# campers all over the US in the 70s and 80s with 200-250 HP trucks and never looked back.

We have moved into a society of never-ending-eternaly needy egos and competitiveness. That's OK if you have the need; i just don't want to end up with one of those spent toys. My assessment after reading Ford, Cummins and GM diesel pickup forums since 2008, is that there is a far larger number of these trucks destroyed after they were "upgraded" vs stock.

Just remember that if you use one of these trucks for 'recreation', it's not going to be cheap.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprice View Post
Im buying a 2016 6.7 Powerstroke and I was wondering what upgrades I can add and still make it through emissions. Will a straight pipe coming from the turbo pass emissions or do I have to keep my converter? This is in Maryland.
Maryland has no emissions testing for diesels.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 11:39 PM

My Photos: (8)
Good wax job.
DENNY

1999 F350 CC SRW LB 4X4 SIX SPEED.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 01:54 AM

Tuning these trucks hardly ruins them. I put 40,000 miles on my tuned 08 F350 running the 275 hp tune. Which pretty much doubles the stock hp to the rear wheels. I had no issues at all and the fuel mileage was alot better than stock.
Removing the DPF and stopping regens helps the engine.

Chrome ash tray with extra LED light!
Blacked out rear view mirror
Badazz sticker on bumper
3.5" x 10" exhaust tip.....painted BLACK!!!
One floormat...hope to get a Wethertek one someday!
Lots of really cool black stuff! Yes I'm a rebel!
TWO pairs of BLACK Driving gloves (made from GENUINE Saskatchewan seal skin)
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 08:59 PM

My assessment after reading Ford, Cummins and GM diesel pickup forums since 2008, is that there is a far larger number of these trucks destroyed after they were "upgraded" vs stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duties > '11-16 Upgrades and Aftermarket

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.