2012 f350 options? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > '11-Up General Questions

'11-Up General Questions General questions related to 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 07:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2012 f350 options?

I am thinking about purchasing a new f350
I am having a difficult time in finding one in the right color with the right options. So I wanted to see if anyone know which options could be added on after the purchase? Such as nav or heated cooled seats? I think I found the right truck and it is only missing the nav head unit. I have read about the new kenwood units that can be integrated in with the sync system but so far the reviews don't sound to great. I also like stuff to just work so I am thinking about a factory nav unit. Can it be installed and still function like the factory installed unt?

Also I have found a few short beds but most f350 are long beds. Is there a big difference in driving? Granted I know the difference in length I am asking more from a maneuverable and ride quality stand point?
Thanks
Rlbol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 07:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

I test drove a SB 350 when I was looking and it was as good as any thing else. My dad had a 250 LB and it was tough to park and turn around. If you are going to haul stuff in the bed all the time I would go with the long box but if you are using it to tow go with the short bed. These trucks ride like a caddy anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App
20"wheels, 3.55 EL gear, Dual Alternators, FX4, Upfitter Switches, Bullet Liner, Weather Tech mats, Reacon side mirror smoke lens

Passed down to my step son:
2006 F-250 Lariat 6.0L Crew Cab, Black w/ Chrome package, Chrome bug guard and door latches
18" stock wheels, Nitto Tera Grappler, 4" Turbo Back MBRP, AccuFab Power Elbo, Edge Insight Monitor, Tinted Windows, Rhino Liner, Husky Floor Mats, B&W Turnover, Air Horn, ZooDad mod, Recon's all around, ARP studs, EGR Delete, SCT from IDP, and a heavy foot

Turned 100K miles 12-23-11

-New Head Gaskets 58K
-New EGR Cooler 29K
mlsteele is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 07:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

I will be using it for towing almost exclusively.
Rlbol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 10:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

Don't ever get a short bed in a HD truck for any reason! That is just wrong and for lack of a better word down right gay. I can't believe what I see anymore. Short bed F350 dually. Talk about wrong. Want a short bed get a F150, like it should be. Prior to 1996 they didn't even offer short bed in a F250/350. I can't imagine having a shortbed HD truck. I would be embassassed at the mere mention of it, let alone actually owning one. Just the thought of that makes me sick. Had a F150 shortbed once and that was stupid enough, but a HD truck in shortbed???? Worthless as tits on a bore.
1997 F350CC, 4x4, PSD Tipper pro kleenex open filter. Roggen 6" lift kit with 26" ratflex 12" offset tires. Downpipe cut and welded to adapt 3" into a 12" outlet. 12" muffler cut and adapted to 2", then a special turbo manifold from a volkswagon modified to flank out to 3" to the tail pipe. Interior from a Corvair modified by cutting 6" off the padding. Snize and snide 32gallon aux tank mounted in rear seat, rear seat relocated to bed. Bed shortened to 4ft.
RonKZ650 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 11:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

Hey RonKZ650 looks like in your sig you have a 4ft bed?

1997 F350CC, 4x4, PSD Tipper pro kleenex open filter. Roggen 6" lift kit with 26" ratflex 12" offset tires. Downpipe cut and welded to adapt 3" into a 12" outlet. 12" muffler cut and adapted to 2", then a special turbo manifold from a volkswagon modified to flank out to 3" to the tail pipe. Interior from a Corvair modified by cutting 6" off the padding. Snize and snide 32gallon aux tank mounted in rear seat, rear seat relocated to bed. Bed shortened to 4ft.
"SOLD" 2012 F350 CC/SB 6.7 4X4 Lariat, 3:31 Gears
dslbrnr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 05:17 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dslbrnr View Post

Yeah, but that's not "gay"! What a ridiculous analogy. There's nothing functionally wrong with the SB 350, unless you need a larger fuel tank (I'm thinking, you either tow most of the time, or live in the Western US). I wanted the larger fuel tank when I went looking for a new 2012, but I didn't want to try to park a crew cab, long bed truck. I haven't missed the 8 ft bed at all. If I towed all the time, I'd get an aftermarket 50 gallon tank.

MK160
2012 F350 Lariat, 4x4, CCSB, pale adobe/adobe, Chrome package with "chrome clad" wheels, Ultimate package, 20s, 3.55 ELD, bed liner, cable lock, 5th wheel prep. Now with Bilstein shocks and steering stabilizer.

Gone but will never be forgotten: 2000 Ford F250 SD 4x4, Ext. Cab, SB, Weld wheels, Ford AIS, Edge Evo, automatic with 6.0 cooler, 4 inch downpipe and exhaust, Bilsteins, air bags, A-pillar trans temp and exhaust temp gauges. Putco Boss Bars. LanceLite 845 camper. JW Towmaster transmission, BFG 33x12.50x16.5 A/Ts. Powerslot rotors, EBC pads. 219k at time of trade-in. The best vehicle I've ever owned.
MK160 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 07:54 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dslbrnr View Post

Old 11-11-2012, 08:46 AM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Back to the original question, if you want to add factory navigation to it, you might see if the guy mentioned in this thread can help you. Added navigation thanks to a fellow member

The Kenwood deck you mentioned that's compatible with Sync can be found here: Kenwood - DNX7190HD
madsonp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 08:55 AM   #9 (permalink)

My 2000 and 2003 trucks were Short beds, In 2005 Ford redesigned the front end and the 2005 and later longbed trucks turned as good as the 99-04 short beds. So my 2006 and now my 2011 are long beds. I've never regretted the change.

True, I don't park in parking terraces, I rarely go down town and have to try and find a parking spot. Home Depot, Lowes and most grocery stories seem to have adequet parking for a long bed truck.

As far as serious towing, I'll take a Long Bed F350 every day over a short bed. The ride is great on any of the wheelbases. Wouldn't worry about that. So basically the trade off is a little harder to park in the down town areas vs having the extra space when I need to throw a few extra bales of hay in or when I need to haul lumber it doesn't stick out the tail gate as far.

http://www.fuelly.com/sig-us/59436.png
Painted Horse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 10:27 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKZ650 View Post
Don't ever get a short bed in a HD truck for any reason! That is just wrong and for lack of a better word down right gay. I can't believe what I see anymore. Short bed F350 dually. Talk about wrong. Want a short bed get a F150, like it should be. Prior to 1996 they didn't even offer short bed in a F250/350. I can't imagine having a shortbed HD truck. I would be embassassed at the mere mention of it, let alone actually owning one. Just the thought of that makes me sick. Had a F150 shortbed once and that was stupid enough, but a HD truck in shortbed???? Worthless as tits on a bore.
Get a flippin life!!!! Up hear in the Dakotas we spell "boar" the correct way!!! And who pi$$ed in your coffee!!
2012 Ford Explorer
2002 Ford Taurus 280,000 miles
TNT755 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 10:39 AM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlbol View Post
Also I have found a few short beds but most f350 are long beds. Is there a big difference in driving? Granted I know the difference in length I am asking more from a maneuverable and ride quality stand point?
Thanks
Can't speak to the Nav part. I have owned long beds since my first full size truck. First was a '72 Ford standard cab. From there went to an '86 extended cab, and now have a crew cab. I never noticed any difference in the "ride" and as far as maneuverability, it's just a matter of getting used to what your driving. I like the long beds for the ability to carry a 2X4 in the bed or a full size piece of plywood. I have towed fivers since 1989, and yeah a CC LB with 33' of fiver takes a little more road to make a turn, but you adapt quickly. No need to have a slider hitch either, and I have had my truck past 90 degrees to the trailer on occasion.

To each their own, and in the end you need to decide based on YOUR needs. BTW, I park out from the store, less chance of door dings, and no-one complains that I am taking 2 slots.
1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually Photos
ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler: Pictures Here
2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure
Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns: Pictures here

PM please not visitor message
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 10:46 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT755 View Post
Get a flippin life!!!! Up hear in the Dakotas we spell "boar" the correct way!!! And who pi$$ed in your coffee!!
Typical post for that guy, just ignore him.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:52 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
This is a forum where people post their opinions. Don't get pissy about someone else's opinion. I tow a lot and I like the short bed. It rides good and is what I am use too.

As far as the nav goes I would try to stay factory.

20"wheels, 3.55 EL gear, Dual Alternators, FX4, Upfitter Switches, Bullet Liner, Weather Tech mats, Reacon side mirror smoke lens

2006 F-250 Lariat 6.0L Crew Cab, Black w/ Chrome package, Chrome bug guard and door latches
18" stock wheels, Nitto Tera Grappler, 4" Turbo Back MBRP, AccuFab Power Elbo, Edge Insight Monitor, Tinted Windows, Rhino Liner, Husky Floor Mats, B&W Turnover, Air Horn, ZooDad mod, Recon's all around, ARP studs, EGR Delete, SCT from IDP, and a heavy foot

-New Head Gaskets 58K
-New EGR Cooler 29K
Old 11-11-2012, 07:09 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
This is a forum where people post their opinions. Don't get pissy about someone else's opinion. I tow a lot and I like the short bed. It rides good and is what I am use too.

As far as the nav goes I would try to stay factory.

-New Head Gaskets 58K
-New EGR Cooler 29K
Old 11-14-2012, 02:06 PM   #15 (permalink)

My Photos: (22)
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Bob Maxey
If you are looking for some loaded trucks I might have them in stock.

FORD TRUCK SALES

517-338-0238 direct line
517-546-5642 fax
spratt@bobmaxey.com email.

CONTACT ME DIRECTLY FOR ALL SUPERDUTY SALES.

BOB MAXEY FORD OF HOWELL
2798 GRAND RIVER
HOWELL, MI 48843

BDS LIFT KITS AVAILABLE INSTALLED.

2015'S IN STOCK !!!

BLOW OUT PRICING ON 2014 INSTOCK TRUCKS NEED TO MAKE ROOM FOR THE 2015's

PLACING ORDERS FOR 2015 SUPER DUTYS.
MANY INSTOCK Selling at Invoice

2014 Duallys in stock Huge selection,
Largest Selection Around.

I stock lots of F-250's, F-350's and F-450's.
Need a truck give me a call today.

X AND A/Z Plans accepted.

www.bobmaxeyhowell.com
Bob Maxey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > '11-Up General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.