The Diesel Stop banner

2017 F250 5th Wheel Trailer Weight Rating decrease

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  clev 
#1 · (Edited)
Anyone notice the weight rating decrease on the 2017 F250. I was looking at getting a new 6.7l Crew Cab SRW 4x4 with 3.55 gears but it looks like they decrease the rating by 400 lbs. on the 4x4 from last year. Also there's a 2100 lb. difference between the 2017 4x2 and 4x4. How does it go up on the 4x2 and down on the 4x4? In comparrison the same configuration 2017 F350 went up several thousands lbs. and there is only a 400 lb. difference between the 4x2 and 4x4. Could this be a misprint? Maybe I'm looking at it wrong. Has anyone seen any different numbers. I would ask my local dealer but I already know the answer I would get.

See less See more
#2 ·
My guess 4x2 tow weight increases due to the lack of weight for 4x4 axles and such. A F350 4x2 dry weight will be less and provide more weight to add to reach GVWR. IE IF GVWR was 11500 and a 4x2 weight was 7k, you should be able to carry 4500 lbs payload not to exceed axle ratings.

It's not a rocket science project but it can get confusing trying to be sure you are safe.

I think Ford is now using the specific standard (SAJ??? whatever it is) to determine the weights. This was done due to many manufactures using their own methods. Now they all seem to be moving to the same standard to compete "fairly" and give consumers better idea of actual weights for these trucks.

So when the weights are checked using a "new" standard they may actually read lower, but if we checked the older trucks to the new standard we may find we are not getting what we paid for.

Ford nor the GOV would allow anyone to re-qualify the older trucks to new standards. Talk about lawsuits flying....Then you need to consider the numbers posted are what Ford is going to say is the limit, while we all know there is some safe percentage built in to protect Ford from people overloading trucks.

In the end following the Ford numbers within a personally acceptable range and do whatever inspections and maintenance checks are required.

#3 ·
Red, the figures displayed for the 2016 are identical to my 2012. The 14k rating for conventional towing is based on under truck receiver limits. There is no Class IV 2" receiver that will carry more than 14k. The Class V is a 2 1/2 receiver and will carry up to 18k, I think. My truck came with the 2 1/2 receiver. On your 2017 chart listing 18k and 21k for under receiver, I think that's a misprint. I don't think they make a Class V to carry that much weight. As far as the 5th wheel towing for 2017 gcwr at 28.7k; I wish!

#5 ·
Thanks, I did look at it and it basically stated the same thing I stated about the under truck receiver. But I didn't fully understand the gcwr's listed for the same rear end. For the F350 SRW (page 16) with a 3.55 rear end gear, they have listed 20.2k gcwr all the way up to 28.7k gcwr. How do you determine which applies to your truck? And the notes indicated that the higher ratings were for Gooseneck towing and that the 5th wheel towing pin was restricted to 18k. And if this 3.55 has a gcwr for 28.7k with a Gooseneck, what have they done to increase it since 2012? Yes, I'm a little confused with this information.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.