5th wheel attachments - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > '11-Up General Questions

'11-Up General Questions General questions related to 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013, 12:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
5th wheel attachments

Good day, I have a 2011 with the bed already set to receive a 5th wheel hitch. I was wondering what some of you all are running for hitches in the bed and recommend for brands. I will be pulling a 42 foot 5th wheel toy hauler, empty weight is 14K, the spec sheet said it was going to have 3100lbs on the hitch.

Any info is appreciated,

Thanks!
K Rut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2013, 12:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Welcome to the Diesel Stop

IIRC Reese makes a hitch that is designed to install directly on the factory mounts. Reese is a very respected and highly rated brand, and I would buy the highest weight rated one you can get. If your a short bed, then you'll want a sliding hitch, if you have a long bed then you don't need it. Some of the newer trailers are being designed with the front corners made so you don't have to have a sliding hitch on a short bed. My 2012 Copper Canyon is made that way, but I have a long bed so it didn't matter.
1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually Photos
ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler: Pictures Here
2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure
Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns: Pictures here

PM please not visitor message
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 01:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (17)
I agree with chuckster57. Reese is a good hitch with a great reputation. My new truck (see sig) was ordered with the Reese hitch. I haven't towed the fifth wheel with it yet so I can't vouch for it yet, but I certainly anticipate it will be fine.
I would also like to recommend Pullrite hitches. I've owned two of these, one a regular 5th wheel hitch and one was their "Superglide" model which slides automatically back and forth in the event that you have a short bed truck.
Both Pullrite and the higher end Reese hitches (like the one that I ordered with the new truck) have a single piece steel jaw that wraps around the kingpin on your trailer instead of two "dog ear" jaws that clamp around the kingpin. This is a very secure connection with extremely close tolerance so there is no banging or slack.
'Hope this has helped..
2013 F-350 Lariat 6.7 L PSD Crew Cab Dually, FX4, white platinum metalic tri-coat with black interior, N-Fab step bars, factory spray-in bedliner and 5th wheel hitch, trailer tow package, integrated brake controller, upfitter switches, Sync with My Ford Touch, memory group, remote start, reverse sensing with rear view camera, nav, satillite radio, Weather Tech floor mats, limited slip diff, moon roof, climate controlled seats, engine block heater and tailgate step.

2014 Lifestyle (formerly Carriage) 5th wheel 38' long with 3 slides & all the goodies.

SOLD: 2005 F-350 Lariat, 6.0 PSD, Torqueshift auto trans, crew cab, SRW, short box, FX4, ESOF, limited slip dif., tow command, upfitter switches, 6 CD changer, Lariat Lux. package, camper package, engine block heater, triple A-pillar gauge set (Autometer) with pyrometer, trans temp & voltmeter, MBRP 4" cat back exhaust w/5" dual wall chrome tip, dark shadow gray/ med. flint interior.
wpetko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 01:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for asking this, I have been wondering this myself.

What about the gooseneck ball, will any old ball fit in the factory installed mount?

Don't want to poach your thread, I was just wondering.

Thanks
←snow∞motion→ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 01:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpetko
Both Pullrite and the higher end Reese hitches (like the one that I ordered with the new truck) have a single piece steel jaw that wraps around the kingpin on your trailer instead of two "dog ear" jaws that clamp around the kingpin.
I am using a Robin that has a big flat bar that crosses the "gate" and locks in.
Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy

Old 01-12-2013, 03:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

I got an Adapter plate from hensley if you would want to expand what hitches that you can use. works great and fits perfectly into our trucks. cant remember off hand the limits but i do know it exceeds what the 2011 250s can tow. the plate was 4000lbs max hitch.

2005 F-150 XLT 5.4L - traded 88,560 miles

1994 F-250 XLT 5.8L (no engine issues-EVER) - Sold 300,000+ miles

2011 Forest River Rockwood 8280WS
heed250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 04:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ←snow∞motion→ View Post
Thanks for asking this, I have been wondering this myself.

What about the gooseneck ball, will any old ball fit in the factory installed mount?

Don't want to poach your thread, I was just wondering.

Thanks
Reese makes that as well. It is all part of their elite line up. They seem to have the market cornered for the factory options. The only way to get away from the elite line is to get the adapter that was previously mentioned.
2005 Bobcat T300
gtstang462002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 04:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thank you
←snow∞motion→ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 05:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

I went with both the Reese fifthwheel and gooseneck from Ford. The gooseneck I don't think you'll save much money going elsewhere, but might be able to get a fifth wheel set up a bit cheaper. To me though it was just easier to purchase it with the truck that way I was all set and knew it would work. I Believe my fw is rated at 24,000 lbs which is right at the tow capacity of my truck. I figured I wanted to match the hitch weight to my truck capacity rather than a specific trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-12-2013, 09:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

To the OP - The Reese hitch from ford is awesome. I really like it. i like the fact that there are grease fittings that you can getgrease into the working of the hitch. Hooking up is also easy. the thickness of the pin jaw is thicket than my old Reese 20K hitch. The truck tows my 5er beautifully. We are fulltiem RV'ers and have a little over 15K on the truck already.

BUT. Forget about that empty weight of the trailer. It is a useless number. As soon as you put flatware into the kitchen drawer that number is out the window. ALWAYS use the GVWR of the trailer when doing any of your weight calculations. And always use 18 - 20% of the 5er weight (until it is weighed, use GVWR) to figure what the pin weight is going to be.

2012 F-450 Lariat. Golden Bronze over Beige. 25K Ford (Reese) 5th wheel hitch, Pace-Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit cover, Grover Stutter-Tone Air Horn.
Full time RV'er Pulling a Newmar 5er weighing in just under 18K.

Last edited by jss35lksa; 01-12-2013 at 09:42 PM.
jss35lksa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 10:26 PM   #11 (permalink)

Thanks for all the good information! I will definenatly look into Reese!

I put the Empty weight out there as it was just a place to start, but I fully understand that after adding 160 gal of water, every day things, kitchen stock, 2 dirt bikes........ The weight adds up. I have out grown the current trailer I am using and I am tired of hooking the weight distribution hitch up all the time.... Am I getting lazy? I don't know but possibly I am finding every possible reason to upgrade!

I have a F350 long bed, so no need for the sliding hitch. Is there any adjustment to the height of the plate, looking to adjust the clearance between the truck bed and trailer.

Thanks
K Rut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 10:37 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Rut View Post
Thanks for all the good information! I will definenatly look into Reese!

Is there any adjustment to the height of the plate, looking to adjust the clearance between the truck bed and trailer.

Thanks
My Reese Classic 22K has three height positions. I keep it in the top one so less weight is on the truck.
1997 F350 XLT Crew Cab Dually, 7.3 Powerstroke, 4:10 limited slip, K&N Air Filter, MBRP 4" Turbo back w/muffler, Edge programmer, Billet torque converter, Monster tranny cooler.

2004 Cadillac CTS V 5.7 LS6, Tremec 6 speed,
K&N Cold Air, Magnaflow Exhaust, MSD Ignition,
LS7 clutch, Getrag 3:73 posi-trac, 377 RWHP
badbart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 10:44 PM   #13 (permalink)

As soon as you start towing a fiver, you're going to ask yourself what took you so long. As for clearance, you want about 6" from the bed rail to the skin of the trailer on flat level ground.
You can adjust the height of the hitch, or the pin box on the trailer, or a combo of both.

I have air bags, and you might want to consider them, keeping in mind that they do nothing to increase the weight rating of the rear axle, but will go a long way toward leveling out the ride. My old fiver had a1795 pin and dropped my bumper about 2-3", my new one is only 1250 and it drops the bumper less than 2 inches. Your pin weight is going to squat your butt. If you plan on driving after dark, your going to make enemies of on coming traffic, and you'll think your searching the skies for aircraft.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:47 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbart View Post
My Reese Classic 22K has three height positions. I keep it in the top one so less weight is on the truck.
I don't think the height of the plate changes the weight of the pin. It just makes the trailer high in the front or back. Pin weight is affected by weight distribution forward or aft of the axles.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:24 PM   #15 (permalink)

I would look in to the B&W OEM compatible companion 5th wheel hitch. Cost is little less, well built but most people haven't heard of them unless they are pulling horse trailers.
Custom~ fabbed rear bumper, tarp gantry, rear warning led setup, SEIC & rear strobe control panel (in the drivers side powerpoint trim)
And more to come

'99 F350 XLT CC LB 4x4 dually 7.3, Dents build character 408,000ish miles on the clock (2nd motor)
'93 Exploder Sport, 5.0 swap, 4r70w+Baumann TCS, Atlas 2 T-case 3.8:1 twin stick, Narrowed D44 '79 f150 solid axle swap, bunch o other junk...
'69 Ford rust bucket, err Bronco, "resto"/mods in the planning stages
Wolf451 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > '11-Up General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.