The Diesel Stop banner

7.3L to 6.7L!

10K views 28 replies 22 participants last post by  badbart 
#1 ·
I took the plunge..sold my 01 7.3 in my siggy. Sold quickly to the first guy who looked at it. Am the new owner of a Kodiak Brown/Pecan 2014 F250 Platinum! So far love the truck....I drove the 01 12 years, I had no idea what I was missing in comfort and power. Time to change my siggy!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

#2 ·
#6 · (Edited)
I got 10k cash for 200k mile 13 year old ext cab 4x4 XLT. It was modded tastefully as shown in my sig. I thought I did pretty well. Ext cabs do not sell as well, or for as much money as crew cabs here in Texas. I was happy with the deal. I watched what the dealers were asking in my area for quite some time for similar trucks. They were getting maybe a couple thousand more, but they were also willing to tote the note for most of these buyers I had a serious cash buyer, more tire kickers and texters out there than serious buyers. Especially for a cash non finance deal. When one comes knocking, you had better be ready to sell.

#10 ·
Nice truck. They are so nice. Keep using Stanadyne Lube formula and Power Service every tank. I do and have gotten 92000 trouble free miles so far. No sensor issues,etc. I even put a little DEF in the fuel tank different 2 times at camp many many thousands of miles ago. I didn't drain the fuel tank just the water separator every few miles for a while and added lot's of Power Service. I am either lucky or the truck is well built. I wasn't in a position to have it towed. No cell service out in the boondocks. I carry power service all the time for fill ups.

#12 · (Edited)
I also traded. Sold my 2000 F350 7.3L, 140k miles; got $14.5 from the first guy that looked at it; didn't even haggle about the price.

It was hard to let my old friend go; I'm gonna miss the sound and smoke of that diesel; my wife is not! She is already in love with the new truck.

Even with all the mods to my 7.3, the 6.7 is a full second faster 0-60.

#13 ·
z21ranger, great looking truck, you will love the comfort that you get with this model truck , good luck.:thumbsup:

Scottz, you have done so well with you sale, have you something in mind to purchase now you 350 is gone.

#15 ·
Wow that's one wicked looking bit of gear, old mate. :thumbsup:

#16 · (Edited)
very nice trucks you have there.
now that some of you have had the 6.7 for awhile, any particular thoughts you can provide coming from a long history of 7.3?
I love the 7.3 and have logged many hrs in research, wrenching, improving modding.....on and on but, 6.0 and 6.4 is not an option and a CC 7.3 in good shape with low miles is almost 1/2 what a brand new truck costs. Given I will drive my next truck at least 6 yrs, it would be over 20yrs old when I'm done with it. I have a feeling that the massive price increase in 7.3's over last 4 yrs is about to come to a pretty drastic hault as more move into the 6.7.
I too am about 10yrs into my y2k 7.3 and I'm looking to move into a brand new 6.7 lariat pkg CC longbed.
Once I have the truck I will most likely pull the bed and put something more useful on it such as this:

I test drove one today and definitely powerful and comfortable. Didn't feel quite as much like a truck as my 7.3 but then again I've been behind the wheel for 170k miles

I like all the creature comforts and even though it's a $50k truck, I'm looking for something to be happy with for another 10yrs or so.

Thanks for any suggestions you can provide. I really would like to straight pipe so if anyone has done that, what kit did you go with?

#17 ·
I recomend the swap. I had many mods done to my 7.3 and it was a beast but when it was stolen roughly 3 months ago I had no choice but to get a new vehicle with top notch security in it. My 7.3 had limited security and with the amount of money I put into it, that was very stupid of myself. I got a 2014 F250 CC SB Lariat a week later and had LoJack installed and a GPS tracking device. The 2014s already have the chipped key and touch alarm system but I felt like I needed more after my experience. On another note the power transition from 7.3 to 6.7 is unreal. Mine is still stock at the moment but the other day a convertible came up beside me not letting me over in a merge and at 20mph I was able to roast the tires with ease in order to get around him. The turbo in the 6.7 is great and spools so quick. you would love the change. For the straight pipe I have talked to many companies and few will do the full hookup for me but the most recommend has been a mini max tuner with the dpf delete and pipe inserts. The mini max puts a maximum of 160hp to the vehicle which would make the truck well over 500hp and believe me that is plenty! Hope this helps and I plan on doing the exhaust upgrade in the near future and will let you know how it runs.

Attachments

#19 ·
ENJOY! I made the same switch. Haven't looked back yet for the past year. I highly modified my '02 7.3 but I discourage it on the 6.7. Its got plenty of power in stock configuration (my opinion) and (starting a pissin' match) it aint worth it to modify the 6.7 warranty wise. Flame suit on but I like my new truck just the way it is, just wish the rear seat would convert into a sleeper (see other thread by me). Happy trucking

#20 · (Edited)
I agree; I threw most of the popular mods at my 7.3 not just for power gains but also longevity.
With this 6.7 I just got, definitely doesn't need any help in the power department and IMHO if you do throw power at it, really can't expect for other components to hold up long term....I mean, many of the drivetrain parts joints etc....are probly all still same strenth rating from 20yrs ago when they were in 200hp trucks. In my mind it only makes sense that the more power you throw at a given part and USE said power, then it will by default wear faster than when used with less power used in the same manner.

My only complaint so far for the 6.7 (any later model diesel for that matter) is the EPA tree hugger package that is mandatory! Talk about twice as much stuff to go wrong, fail, and/or otherwise potentially shut your truck down along side the road simply because of one (one of dozens) @$%#@$ faulty sensor somewhere.

#21 ·
another 7.3 switch here. The 6.7 was the only engine I would get rid of a 7.3 for. I have owned both a 97 and 2001 7.3s and while they are great engines and trucks the swap was worth it. I sold the 7.3 for quite a bit more then I paid for it 6years ago so it was a win win.

My 6.7 is even a job 1 2011 with 109k miles. Family owned since new and Ive done the services on it personally since day one. Brand new would have been nice but couldn't pass paying cash for this one. Ihave no doubts the 6.7 will live up to the glory of the ol 7.3 days

#22 ·
Super nice truck Z. I'm glad that I still like my 01 but I'm careful how much time I spend around the new ones. My 01 has 78K miles and I'm the only owner.

#24 ·
After years of owning an OBS 7.3 (1996), I bought a 2011 6.7. It was like going from a WWI biplane to a 787! Now, I still kept my '96. Heck it's paid for and runs fine. I use it as my daily driver and use the 6.7 on weekends for road trip & to tow my boats.

#26 ·
I started camping last year pulling a 12,000lbs 5r. Had to sale my trusty 02 Duramax due to the camper being a little much for my old truck. I traded into an 08 F-350 6.4 DRW with a tow boss package. The truck only had 49k miles and ran and pulled fine but the more I read the more those engines scared me to death. 2 weeks ago I traded into a 2015 Ford F-250 6.7 (silver super cab)…WOW!!! This thing pulls like a freight train and drives/rides like a dream. The torque is incredible along a wide range of RPMs. I LOVE IT!!!

#27 ·
I am toying with the Idea of a 2017 250 or 350. Bought my 1997 250 new and lightly tweaked with 4" exhaust, airbox and tuner. Used it as everyday driver and tow 25' boat. But got a real problem with the 6.7 being made in mexico, now I know my 7.3 motor was made in Canada but I would rather have a Canadian made motor than anything made in mexico! So how do you guys like giving your hard earned dollars up to provide jobs in a foreign land and screwing your U.S. fellow workers and citizens?

#28 ·
You know even back then, most are the parts came from Mexico, right?
You know the plans are to build the new bronco/Ranger in that same place....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

#29 ·
Ford pays it's US. workers between $20-$35 per hour on the assembly lines in Kentucky at the truck plant. So you figure that's why your new F-250 cost upwards of $60,000 right? Then you learn that the one in Mexico that builds that stout 6.7 turbo diesel don't even make $4 an hour?! Burger flippers at Mickey D's make at more than double that! Vote TRUMP and bring the jobs back home where they belong!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.