Antifreeze Testing Kit - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > '11-Up General Questions

'11-Up General Questions General questions related to 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2011, 08:06 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Antifreeze Testing Kit

For the 6.7, can you buy the coolant check kit somewhere other than from a Ford dealership? Ford told me the check light will come on around 16K, and for $30.00 plus cost of the additive, they would be happy to take care of me.
winter traveler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2011, 07:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

since im new whats in the coolant to check i have 4 big rigs and numerous superduties just not sure what his stuff on the new 6.7 is all about
idratherbestrokin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2011, 03:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

The light will come on around 600 hours of use. For me that was about 13,500 miles.

Pay the $30 to your dealer. That is reasonible. The test kits are more expensive than that, They include 10 test. But with two radiators per truck, you will get 5 test out of a test kit.. But they have an expiration date. Which will probably expire before you need to test your coolant 5 times. Bottom line $30 is cheaper than the test kits and hour of your time to do the test.

The VC-12 additive is about $14 if needed.

The Ford Speciality Orange coolant is the next generation of coolant that Ford has brought out. It replaces the Ford Gold coolant ( that was Nitrate based) that was used in the 2003 thru 2010 power stroke engines. The Speciality Orange Coolant is a Organic Acid Technology or OAT type of antifreezed. The 6.7L is running higher performance and hotter than previous Powerstrokes and needs a higher performing coolant than previous generation engines. Nitrates in this coolant are considered a reason to flush and replace.

http://www.fuelly.com/sig-us/59436.png
Painted Horse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2011, 08:39 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks, Painted Horse
winter traveler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2011, 08:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painted Horse View Post
The Ford Speciality Orange coolant is the next generation of coolant that Ford has brought out. It replaces the Ford Gold coolant ( that was Nitrate based).
That would be "nitrite", not "nitrate".
Racklefratz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2011, 05:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Oops. Thanks. Mind gets thinking one thing and fingers typing another,

Old 12-17-2011, 06:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Painted Horse View Post
replaces the Ford Gold coolant ... that was used in the 2003 thru 2010 power stroke engines.
Why is it that we hear of problems with the 6.0 and Ford gold coolant, but nothing much about Ford gold in the 6.4L?

TIA,
- Don
Notice: Anything that I or anyone else writes about my vehicle on this, or any other, website pertaining to modifications or alterations, is only for discussion purposes and/or to gain acceptance from my peers, and may not actually represent anything existing on my truck, and thus, can not and should not be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, whatsoever that may arise for any cause.
deliberate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2011, 06:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

I agree with PH, PLUS you will have DOCUMENTED that it got done with a dealer, so heaven forbid you have cooling system issues later you will have proof that it was serviced in a ford approved manner.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deliberate View Post
Why is it that we hear of problems with the 6.0 and Ford gold coolant, but nothing much about Ford gold in the 6.4L?
Different type of oil coolers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > '11-Up General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.