Best Synthetic 5/40 For My 6.7 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > '11-Up General Questions

'11-Up General Questions General questions related to 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2010, 12:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Best Synthetic 5/40 For My 6.7

In my 7.3 I ran Rotella 5/40 synthetic for years. Worked just great, and I towed a 15000 lb 5ver all over the country.--- Ford recommends 5/40 for severe service in my new 2011 6.7. I will change to the 5/40 synthetic at my first oil change.

I have heard some say that Valvoline synthetic 5/40 Premium Blue Extreme Engine Oil is better than the Rotella synthetic. The price of the Rotella is under $20 per gallon. What does the Valvoline cost and is it really any better???????
FordWilly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2010, 12:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)
Any brand of motor oil that is certified to meet the American Petroleum Institute (API) CJ-4 specs is just as good as any other brand that meets CJ-4 specs. If it also meets SAE 5w40 specs, then that one is just as good an any other that meets SAE 5w40 specs. But pay attention. There are some brands of synthetic motor oil that are not certified to meet the API CJ-4 specs. If it doesn't have the API symbol on the package, I'd look for another brand.

So be sure your brand of SAE 5w40 synthetic motor oil has the API symbol with CJ-4 (or later) on the label, and that brand is good to go.

Shell Rotella T synthetic 5w40 meets CJ-4 specs and includes the API symbol on the package.
- Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic

And per their website, Valvoline’s Premium Blue Extreme Engine Oil meets API CJ-4/SM requirements.
Valvoline’s Premium Blue Extreme Engine Oil

And so does Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40.
Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40

And so do several other brands of synthetic motor oil for turbo-diesel engines, including Schaeffer's, Redline and Royal Purple.

No, the Valvoline is not "better" than the Rotella. But it's just as good. And so is Mobil 1 and several others. So pick the one with the prettiest package - or the cheapest price.

My Sierra Blanca in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it a coupla years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2010, 12:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Any brand of motor oil that is certified to meet the American Petroleum Institute (API) CJ-4 specs is just as good as any other brand that meets CJ-4 specs. If it also meets SAE 5w40 specs, then that one is just as good an any other that meets SAE 5w40 specs. But pay attention. There are some brands of synthetic motor oil that are not certified to meet the API CJ-4 specs. If it doesn't have the API symbol on the package, I'd look for another brand.

So be sure your brand of SAE 5w40 synthetic motor oil has the API symbol with CJ-4 (or later) on the label, and that brand is good to go.

Shell Rotella T synthetic 5w40 meets CJ-4 specs and includes the API symbol on the package.
- Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic

And per their website, Valvoline’s Premium Blue Extreme Engine Oil meets API CJ-4/SM requirements.
Valvoline’s Premium Blue Extreme Engine Oil

And so does Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40.
Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40

And so do several other brands of synthetic motor oil for turbo-diesel engines, including Schaeffer's, Redline and Royal Purple.

No, the Valvoline is not "better" than the Rotella. But it's just as good. And so is Mobil 1 and several others. So pick the one with the prettiest package - or the cheapest price.
Thanks Smokey----As usual, you are a wealth of good info. --- Later I am going to ask a question on the "pyrometer" post. I know you are involved in that conversation too.
FordWilly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2010, 02:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

So is that the consensus? Whatever the cheapest is of the three mentioned above? I have been kicking the same thing around too. Does it make any difference if you switch brands through the life of the vehicle if the deals change? Thanks for the post Smokey, a ton of information.

2001 F-250 CC Lariat, LB, 4x4. 205K and Traded in

1996 F-250 XLT Regular Cab, 4x4, 187K. Bartered for construction work.

2010 Cougar 32RLB 5th Wheel - Traded in 1/22/11

2011 Road Warrior 30C Titanium Edition (SOLD)
dsroka80504 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2010, 07:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsroka80504 View Post
So is that the consensus?
No. That's only if you have already decided that you want to use synthetic 5w40, regardless of the economic sense it makes.

But the use of the higher-priced synthetic motor oil is not cost effective, so if you want the motor oil that makes the most economic sense you will chose a lower-cost dino oil that meets API CJ-4/SM spec. There are several, all SAE 15w40, including Shell Rotella T, Chevron DELO 400, and Mobil 1300 Super. And don't forget Wal-Mart's house brand, SuperTech or some such. If it meets API CJ-4/SM, that's as good as it gets. Any differences are in hype and advertising.

Yes, it's okay to mix various brands of turbo-diesel motor oil. It better be okay. Because when you change oil you only change a certain percentage of the oil, and the remainder stays in the engine and mixes with the new oil. For example, my 7.3L takes 15 quarts for an oil and filter change, but there is at least another quart in the HPOP reservoir that doesn't drain. So every oil change I'm mixing 15 quarts of new oil with at least one quart of old oil.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > '11-Up General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.