Block Heater - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > '11-Up General Questions

'11-Up General Questions General questions related to 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2010, 11:50 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Block Heater

I am in the process of having the block heater installed on my truck. Dealer indicates the heater itself was not installed on the engine/truck so I have to pay for the heater, cord, and installation.

Does anyone know if there is a FORD document that indicates the block heater (not the cable) is standard on the engine/truck like it was in the past?

I am looking at $330 to have the element and cord installed. Ouch!

I live in Oklahoma and travel to the northern states so I need the heater. Just wasn't on the truck I purchased. Guess I should have ordered the truck instead of buying off the lot.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

John
John Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2010, 12:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

This sounds odd to me.

I was told by a reliable source that the element was in the block itself and that the only thing that would be need to be added if I didn't order the 'block heater' would be the chord.

Besides, if one does choose to order the block heater its only something like 50 or 60 dollars.
86' F250 SC 460 LB SRW (Sold)
SAsh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2010, 02:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

I was told the same thing by someone else but it may not be true. I need to find an actual reference from Ford that clearly states the engine block should have the heating element installed when it was built. That would save me the extra cost of paying for the element. That's the way my 2007 6.0L was built.

John
Old 09-10-2010, 02:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Here it is right from the Ford 6.7 diesel systems overview manual. I don't know the actual name of the manual, but a link to it was on one of the sites.

Engine Block Heater
The engine block heater is located on
the right side of the engine block. The
block heater uses 110V AC to heat
the engine coolant in cold weather
climates. Use the engine block heater
must be used whenever ambient
temperatures are at or below -23C
(-9F).
The engine block heater is standard
on every engine. The power cord is an
optional accessory.
Just hit 100K Jan 21st 2009
'07 Keystone Outback 21RS
boats313 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2010, 04:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks, Boats... I was able to find the Coffee Table Book (Diesel Technician Society last book on the page) for the 6,7 motor and it is mentioned just as you stated. However, I don't know if this book is published by Ford or a third party.

Any other links to a specific Ford producted document would be greatly appreciated!

By the way, my dealer is top notch. Mod friendly and does fantastic work and service. I have ZERO complaints after dealing with them for over 6 years now!

John
Old 09-10-2010, 06:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

I don't think that you are gonna find the documentation for which you are looking.

It's a bit crazy that you would need it at all given the fact that we know the element is already in the block but I understand why you would want it.

I suggest that you just avoid the issue of confronting your dealer entirely. Go on ebay and pick up the chord and install it yourself. Done.
86' F250 SC 460 LB SRW (Sold)
SAsh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2010, 08:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

The engine block heater is standard equipment in the following states: AK, CO, IA, ID, ME, MI, MN, MT, ND, NH, SD, VT, WI, & WY.

I may be mistaken but I thought the motors shipped with the heater core installed, you just bought the option which is basically the plug-in cord. It's a $75 option on the window sticker and it's option 41H. It would be nice to have clarification if the engine block heater option is both the heater core and the plug-in cord that is mounted just inside the grill.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

Why not just get under and have a little look see??
Old 09-10-2010, 09:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_F View Post
Why not just get under and have a little look see??
It has been confirmed that the heating element is not installed in the block. What I am trying to determine if it was left out because that is what Ford decided or if it was a mistake.

Since I am near retirement age I have lost my desire to crawl under the truck and put my body into odd positions like I used to. Getting older also means getting wiser and paying for someone else to feel the pain.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind paying if thats what it takes... I am getting conflicting information so I am just trying to find the right answer.

I do appreciate all the help and suggestions...!

John
Old 09-11-2010, 09:16 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hagen View Post
It has been confirmed that the heating element is not installed in the block.
Confirmed by who? I suspect they made an error. The block heater element is installed on every PSD engine at the engine factory in Mexico. The truck assembly plant in Kentucky simply adds the cord if the truck is destined for a cold-weather state, or if the cord was ordered for that truck.

Quote:
Since I am near retirement age I have lost my desire to crawl under the truck and put my body into odd positions like I used to.
Nonsense. I retired in 1992, but I can still put the pickup on ramps and crawl under it and look at the so-called block heater. I pay my dealer's tech to do anything that requires contortions or grease under my fingernails, but looking at the block heater doesn't require anything contortionate.

That book in PDF format on the Diesel Tech's website is the official Ford publication. If you go to www.fleet.ford.com and look around, you can probably find it there. But you may need a fleet password to really get into that website. So the blurb on page 32 in the PDF reader or page 30 in the document is a Ford blurb. It says:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford pub
Engine Block Heater
The engine block heater is located on the right side of the engine block. The block heater uses 110V AC to heat the engine coolant in cold weather climates. Use the engine block heater must be used whenever ambient temperatures are at or below -23C (-9F).

The engine block heater is standard on every engine. The power cord is an optional accessory.

Page 13 in the file or 11 in the document, at the bottom of the page, shows the location of the block heater element. Notice it's directly above that screw-on filter, on the passenger's side of the engine near the back of the engine. However, if yours doesn't have the cord installed, it probably has a rubber/plastic plug covering the prongs of the element, so you may need to look close to see it. And maybe remove the cover plug to confirm that it's there.

For those that don't know what PDF file we're discussing, click on the following link, then scroll down to the bottom right of the screen and click on the 2011 6.7L file.
Diesel Technician Society

It's a 20mb PDF file, so if you have a dial-up connection to the internet, it will take a while to download. But if you have a 2011 PSD, then you'll want to save that file to disk and then go over it at your leisure. One surprising thing I learned while looking for block heater info is on pg 25 of the file or 23 of the doc:
Quote:
Motorcraft Specialty Orange coolant mixed with distilled water is the only coolant to use in the 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine.
Motorcraft Specialty Orange is DEXCOOL. So Ford changed to DEXCOOL for the 6.7, after using Zerex G-05 "gold" coolant for the 2002 thru 2010 PSDs with International engines.

My Sierra Blanca in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it a coupla years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2010, 12:35 PM   #11 (permalink)

Thanks for the info, SmokeyWren. I have passed it on to my service rep at the dealership and will see what he has to say on Monday. He has my truck or I would go look myself. I am getting the flash update and the heater cable installed.

John
Old 09-11-2010, 05:51 PM   #12 (permalink)

FWIW I learned not to plug in the truck directly to the ford installed block heater cord. Up here I would have to make a connection 4 times daily and over time the cord fractures right at the end of the plug. THe ford block heater cord is horrendously expensive, so I hook a lighted winter flexible 12 foot extension to it and loop it around. Now when it breaks I replace the $10.00 extension cord.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:52 PM   #13 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)
Any auto parts store sells the cord as well
Full Force Stage 1 Singles & TS 6-Position
2 Optima Red Tops
Auto Meter Boost and Pyro Gauges
8,200lbs---Cat Scale---Thats me and and 38 Gallons of Diesel

1987 Mustang GT Cobra Clone

34 Ft Kaufman Solid Deck 2-Car Hauler
TonkaThunder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2010, 09:36 PM   #14 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_F View Post
FWIW I learned not to plug in the truck directly to the ford installed block heater cord.
A more common fix is the Marinco Plug mod. Replace the male plug end of the block heater cord with a Marinco plug designed for charging the batteries on boats using "shore power", and mount the Marinco plug on the front of the truck. Here's an article that shows how to do it on older trucks, but I'm sure you can adapt it to work on a 2011:

Marinco Plug DIY article

BTW, that Marinco plug comes in either black or white, so you can chose the one that will best match your truck. If you do a search within TheDieselStop forums, searching on Marinco, you'll probably find threads within the last year or so with part numbers, sources and prices.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2010, 01:48 PM   #15 (permalink)

I have received a partial copy of the History Vehicle Bill of Material (HVBoM) for my truck and it clearly states the Engine - Heater, DEBAA LESS IMMERSION HEATER on the report. To me, that seems to imply the element was not part of the engine build.

I have my dealer sending me a complete HVBoM report so I have it in my files. Pretty disappointing.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > '11-Up General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.