DEF price confusion. - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > '11-Up General Questions

'11-Up General Questions General questions related to 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2011, 04:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DEF price confusion.

I went to the dealership today to top off my def because it said less than half. I asked the dealer for a 2.5 gal container he said it was $37.00. I asked how much 1 gal was and he said $16.00. Seems like too much if you ask me. He said we can top you off using the bulk def and it will cost $6.92 per gal. I said how come there is such a difference in price his answer was "I dont know I just sell it." How much are you guys paying for this stuff?
Strokedagain11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2011, 05:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

You can buy def at wal-mart in the 2 1/2 gallon container for about 12.00. Check out your area for a truck stop, they may have a def pump which is way cheaper.

05 F350,4X4,DRW,CC,White/Silver,6.0,torqshift,4.10 limited slip,Lariet Luxury Group,13000#GVW,ESOF,Moonroof,Sliding Rear Window,Camper Pkg,FX4,6Disc CD,Adj Gas/Brake,Upfitter Switches,Reverse Sensor,15K Hitch,Captain Chairs,Heated Seats,Tow Command.

03 F-250 6.0

92 F-350 Dually 7.3
kgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2011, 05:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strokedagain11 View Post
He said we can top you off using the bulk def and it will cost $6.92 per gal. I said how come there is such a difference in price his answer was "I dont know I just sell it."
According to the Ford color glossy titled "2011 Diesel Exhaust Fluid Job Aid" ("for use by Ford dealership personnel only") published Jan 2011:

"Motorcraft DEF is widely available in 1- and 2.5 gallon bottles for customer use. Ford recommends only API-certified DEF."
** Note that it doesn't even "specify" Motorcraft as required/recommended in its own internal job-aid.

Also: "Q. Does it cost more to operate a 2011 Super Duty since it requires DEF?
"A. ... 5-8 percent increase in fuel effeciency compared to ...[non-Ford] ...
"Assumptions ... DEF is $3-5 per gallon"

Goes on to say that 2011 Ford is "more cost effective to operate than Silverado HD" using their assumptions. Guess the stealers saw a way to level out that advantage for their own good.

- Don
Notice: Anything that I or anyone else writes about my vehicle on this, or any other, website pertaining to modifications or alterations, is only for discussion purposes and/or to gain acceptance from my peers, and may not actually represent anything existing on my truck, and thus, can not and should not be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, whatsoever that may arise for any cause.
deliberate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2011, 10:02 AM   #4 (permalink)

I've always filled mine before the warning comes on. From usage and short filling intervals it seems like I'm using 1 gallon per 1,000 miles but then again I tow at least half of the mileage. All I can find from the screen though is the DEF calculation method. Where's the 'reset' and 'level' screen?
Nickelplated5s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2011, 10:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)
The average national pump price at truckstops is now about $3 per gallon. Wholesale cost (by the pallet) for a one-gallon jug of DEF is less than $4, and for 2.5-gallon jug is less than $9. I wouldn't pay more than about $5 for a one-gallon jug or more than about $12.50 for a 2.5 gallon jug.

DEF | Diesel Exhaust Fluid | Packaged Supply | Jugs/Bottles

My Sierra Blanca in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it a coupla years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2011, 10:13 AM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickelplated5s View Post
seems like I'm using 1 gallon per 1,000 miles
Sorry, should have put this into my prior post about Ford's claims on DEF (from same Job Aid as above): Also under "Assumptions": "Customer will use approximately 5 gallons every 7500 miles".

- Don
Notice: Anything that I or anyone else writes about my vehicle on this, or any other, website pertaining to modifications or alterations, is only for discussion purposes and/or to gain acceptance from my peers, and may not actually represent anything existing on my truck, and thus, can not and should not be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, whatsoever that may arise for any cause.
deliberate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2011, 08:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

NAPA has 2.5 gallon Jugs for $12
Old 05-29-2011, 10:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgeorge View Post
You can buy def at wal-mart in the 2 1/2 gallon container for about 12.00.
My Wal-Mart doesn't have any - neither on the shelves nor in the grease pits.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2011, 10:42 AM   #9 (permalink)

walmart doe's have it i was looking at it the other day12.99 1 gal, 2.5 was 24 i think in canada
2005 f-250 xl reg cab 6.0 glad its gone
king rancher 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2011, 11:01 PM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Saw it for $1.22 a gallon at the pump over the weekend. It was at the "Flying J" truck stop along I-10 near the California-Arizona boarder, on the AZ side.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:44 PM   #11 (permalink)

It is said that certain Pilot Truck Stops has bulk DEF. On the list offered by Pilot, one particular location, Hesperia Calif. is listed. The first time I asked the clerks where the DEF Pump was located, all I got was a blank stare. Well today I went back in determined not to pay $6.00 a gallon, but instead $2.89 a gallon that they have advertised. Here is the secret. There is only one pump at this location, pump #25 located where the semi's get refueled, the pump does not accept credit cards, you must prepay, and for a 2 1/2 gallon container, prepay only $8.00 and the container will be full. Thank you for allowing me to rant and vent!
tom92397 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2011, 10:58 AM   #12 (permalink)

O'reilly (checker auto) sells the 2.5 gallon jig for $12.99.
'94 Bronco Eddie Bauer (sold)
'73 F250 4X4, sold after 17 years of great rides
Rodsnreels is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2011, 04:24 PM   #13 (permalink)

Just filled mine for the first time, I bought from Ford so I could get the nozzel adapter for future use. It was $48.00 for two 2 1/2 gallon jugs and I filled it myself. Rediculous
2011 6.7 Lariat, CC, LWB, FX4, 3.73 gears, and 20 inch rims. Dark Pearl Blue, with the Grey at the bottom. 5th wheel prep, with the ford removeable ball. Xtreme spray in bed liner, Access roll up bed cover, and I also have ordered a Buckstop bumper, that will be painted two toned to match the truck, along with housing 2 - 6" and 2 - 4" PIAA lights.
Bull73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2011, 04:26 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull73 View Post
Just filled mine for the first time, I bought from Ford so I could get the nozzel adapter for future use. It was $48.00 for two 2 1/2 gallon jugs and I filled it myself. Rediculous
All of the aftermarket jugs (I have bought DEF Blue and the Valvoline product) come with the nozzel adapters too. Best price I have paid is $10.49 for Valvoline at NAPA, which included the spout.

2001 F-250 CC Lariat, LB, 4x4. 205K and Traded in

1996 F-250 XLT Regular Cab, 4x4, 187K. Bartered for construction work.

2010 Cougar 32RLB 5th Wheel - Traded in 1/22/11

2011 Road Warrior 30C Titanium Edition (SOLD)
dsroka80504 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2011, 04:47 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsroka80504 View Post
All of the aftermarket jugs (I have bought DEF Blue and the Valvoline product) come with the nozzel adapters too. Best price I have paid is $10.49 for Valvoline at NAPA, which included the spout.

Really, I was going to check with NAPA but a friend of mine said when he went there and they said the jugs did not come with the spout. Go figure that is a great price, I can not beleive Ford charges so much for this stuff.
2011 6.7 Lariat, CC, LWB, FX4, 3.73 gears, and 20 inch rims. Dark Pearl Blue, with the Grey at the bottom. 5th wheel prep, with the ford removeable ball. Xtreme spray in bed liner, Access roll up bed cover, and I also have ordered a Buckstop bumper, that will be painted two toned to match the truck, along with housing 2 - 6" and 2 - 4" PIAA lights.
Bull73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > '11-Up General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.