Fuel tank issue - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > '11-Up General Questions

'11-Up General Questions General questions related to 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 11:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel tank issue

I just bought a 2012 f250 swb 4x4 and have done two fill ups. Each one I hve put in 22 gallons and the gauge is right at the red line and has 10 miles to empty.
I know these are supposed to be 28 gallon tanks but to only put 22 gallons in it when it's on empty I just don't get.
When I fill it up its poring out the spout so I know I'm filling it up all the way.
Has anyone else had these issues or know what it could be.
I'm wondering if its the gauge is not reading right.
I wouldn't think it would hve a 22 or 24 gal tank in it.
Toyo 35/12.5/20 on Harley wheels

2012 Grey f-250 4x4 swb |full options|20" factory| no mods yet

2006 Pontiac Gto 6.0| Maggie 2300| 600 rwhp & 590 rwtq|& a lot more mods|
Silver08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 11:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

Diesel foams a lot. It can take 20 minutes to fill a tank up if you keep waiting for the foam to settle before you start filling again. On the 99-03 models, the fill tube goes several inches below the top of the tank - cutting that down is called the Harpoon mod and allows one to fill up faster. I haven't had a 2012 tank apart, but I suspect you have a similar issue.
2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM
RT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 12:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

I experienced the same thing on both the stock tank and the Titan tank. I think it does that to keep people from running out. Nothing worse on a diesel than sucking off the bottom of the tank or running out of fuel.

cwtex04

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Golden Bronze Metallic , Pale Adobe Two-Tone
Black interior option
Chrome Package
Supplemental heat option
LineX bed liner
Frontier Grill guard ( Line Xed Pale Adobe)
Roll N lock bed cover
Titan 50 gal. tank
Ford all weather mats
cwtex04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 01:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

Well I have two 2008 f-250 and one has the factory tank and I can run it to 5 miles to empty and I can put 29 gallons in it so I'm also filling the tub up.
My second 08 would do the same before I put the Titan tank in it now when I Get to 50 to 100 miles to empty I've ran it out twice so far,
but I'm having it checked out next week.
I will be taking the 12 in tomorrow to be checked out. I was just seeing if anyone has had these issues with y'all's.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

On the 6.0 I think 'E' actually means a couple gallons minimum are left in the tank. Still, I try not to run it down that low. Keeping the tank higher is good for multiple reasons.
rforsythe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 02:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

I normally fill up at 50 miles to E or a 1/8 of a tank. But when the first tank did it I wanted to test it again and when I head back to work and go out west I will need every bit of 26 gallons cause there isn't any gas stations out there and some times I can be coming Bck In pushing it. So I would like it to be correct or fixed.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

I think being at E with a small reserve in the tank is "correct" by Ford's definition of the term. If you want an absolute empty indicator, pretty sure the truck isn't going to tell you. But if you can find the reserve amount at E and know your mileage, you should be able to ballpark how much farther you can go at least. Would suggest carrying a jerry can or something though if it's that tight for you, running the fuel system empty makes components unhappy. At your 50 miles to E mark, pull over and add a spare 5-6 gal and go on your way.
rforsythe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 04:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver08 View Post
Well I have two 2008 f-250 and one has the factory tank and I can run it to 5 miles to empty and I can put 29 gallons in it so I'm also filling the tub up.
My second 08 would do the same before I put the Titan tank in it now when I Get to 50 to 100 miles to empty I've ran it out twice so far,
but I'm having it checked out next week.
I will be taking the 12 in tomorrow to be checked out. I was just seeing if anyone has had these issues with y'all's.
Swinging by your dealership is the ideal first step, Silver08. Let us know what your service tech's verdict was.

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordTrucks @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordTrucks facebook.com/Ford
FordService is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 11:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

Silver08, the swb trucks have 26 gallon tanks in them. I've not run out yet and have run as much as 15 miles beyond DTE zero while pulling a 40' 5ver, although I did put 25.6 (+/-) gallons in it after finding a station.

Also, on the subject of not "sucking off the bottom of the tank", hogwash. The pickup in the tank ALWAYS pulls off the bottom of the tank. This line of reasoning would infer that the tank has a large amount of contaminants in it and that somehow you're protecting yourself by having a bunch of fuel in the tank to keep the contaminants suspended or diluted and thus not "sucked" up. Filling earlier than what is required to be confident that you can get fuel before running out is merely wanting to spend more time standing next to a fuel pump. I rarely pull into a station with more than 10 miles to empty, the more you get out of each tank the fewer fill-ups you'll require in the end.

Sold - 2011 F250 6.7L SD CC KR with Firestone airbags and Airlift wireless compressor ( Firestone wireless compressor --> GONE, what junk! ), B&W gooseneck hitch and Pullrite Superglide 5th wheel hitch. 5er, Work and Play 40FK toyhauler.

Last edited by texascyclist; 01-02-2013 at 11:12 PM.
texascyclist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 09:50 AM   #10 (permalink)

Set one of your trips each time you fill up. ( I reset the "A Trip " each fill up. I find the gallons used to be fairly close to the actual amount I can put into the tank. On several occasion when I've been paying cash, and I've had to pre-pay and the clerk ask how much do you want. I've give the trip reading and been almost exactly right for the amount I needed to prepay.

With a little practice you will figure out how much is left you tank when it reads empty.

For that matter, You could put a 5 gal jug in the bed and just drive till you run out and see how far past empty you can go. If you run out, Basically treat it like you just changed the fuel filters. KOKO 6 to 10 times and then try cranking.

The one time I ran out, My truck said, 1 mile to empty and pulled into the fuel stop and the engine died as I was idling waiting for the car in front to pull out. I had to push my truck forward the car length to get up to the pump and it took 37.5 gallons. So I was dry.

http://www.fuelly.com/sig-us/59436.png

Last edited by Painted Horse; 01-03-2013 at 09:53 AM.
Painted Horse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > '11-Up General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.