How to extend Idle past 15 minutes? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > '11-Up General Questions

'11-Up General Questions General questions related to 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2010, 09:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How to extend Idle past 15 minutes?

Since these trucks automatically shut off after 15 minutes, how do I get mine to Idle past 15 minutes? As I need the truck to occasionally idle for up to 30 minutes.

Would the High Idle Mod be appropriate?

Ideas?

Previous: 2003 F-250 Lariat CC, 6.0 PSD
1999 F-250 Lariat CC, 7.3 PSD
Schmagma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2010, 01:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Actually, the High Idle mod makes the truck idle faster, not longer. Basically its just a switch that increases the rpm slightly in order to warm the engine faster. As far as I know, there is no way to adjust/override the idle timing because it is a safety feature.
viper_09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2010, 05:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Safety?

2006 F350 CC LWB Dually XLT Oxford white manual 4x4 6.0 PSD 6 speed. 4.10 LS front and rear, Built May05. 4" turbo back, 55 gal aux fuel tank. A real pig from a stop, give me 15' and she'll slowly come to life, then watch out!
165K miles, 12 injectors, EGR cooler, Fuel pump, 8 glow plugs, GPCM, FICM rebuilt FoMoCo engine at 150K under 7/200 warranty.
RatherBNtheWoods is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2010, 06:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

The 2011 6.7's shutdown after 15 mins of idle? I have not heard that before. That is stupid. I know the Cummins in 4500/5500 Rams have to be clean idle certified, which gets you a big sticker on the fender, to continuously idle. Maybe Ford has something like that too. What state are you in? California by chance?
Old 08-07-2010, 07:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

Extended Idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis B. Driftwood View Post
The 2011 6.7's shutdown after 15 mins of idle? I have not heard that before. That is stupid. I know the Cummins in 4500/5500 Rams have to be clean idle certified, which gets you a big sticker on the fender, to continuously idle. Maybe Ford has something like that too. What state are you in? California by chance?

California CAFE requires shutdown, Calf mandatory option, not sure where else it extends to. Think it's just Ca., or trucks ordered for Ca. for now. This includes all Diesels... from GM, Dodge, etc

Pls correct me, if necessary..
SOLD -2000 F-350 SRW, ORDERED 8/22/99, Built & released from Manufacturing 10/2/99/, At dealer 10/19/99, Picked up 10/22/99, 2000 F-350, CC, SRW, LWB, PSD, 6sp, Power-T-Mirrors - 54E, 4x4, Camper Setup, TT, Island Blue, Steps, CD, P-Glass, Manual 4WD Shift/Hubs, Warranty Voiding CUPHOLDER (saved a lot of money on ESP)
SOLD - 1991 SRW F350 7.3
SOLD - 1987 SRW F250 460 Gas

Last edited by Y2KPSD; 08-07-2010 at 07:35 PM.
Y2KPSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2010, 08:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmagma View Post
Since these trucks automatically shut off after 15 minutes, how do I get mine to Idle past 15 minutes? As I need the truck to occasionally idle for up to 30 minutes.

Would the High Idle Mod be appropriate?

Ideas?

The only way as far as Im aware to keep it running is to have the PTO on, if you have one.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:03 AM   #7 (permalink)

Are you talking about the remote start? That will only idle for 15min or less depending on how it is programmed. California requires an auto shutdown after 15 minutes. Otherwise, trucks are not equipped with an idle shutdown. Mine will idle all day.
2011 f-350 Lariat, 6.7l, SRW, LB, CC, 4x4, 3:55 e-locking diff (play truck)
2008 f-150 XLT CC, 5.4l, 4x4 (work truck)
SOLD--1996 f-250 XL, 7.3l, 4x4, 5 speed manual, 4:10 rear, as stock as the day I drove it off the lot
SOLD--1995 f-150 XL 4x2, 5 speed manual, 4.9l straight 6
Junked 1989 Ranger 2.9l v-6.
equidoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2010, 09:11 AM   #8 (permalink)

Nevada was the delivery state. We had 4 delivered.

After 15 minutes of idleing they all shut down. I will have to go talk to the dealer to see if they can be reprogrammed to allow them to idle past 15 mins. I had hoped the high idle mod would work.

Previous: 2003 F-250 Lariat CC, 6.0 PSD
1999 F-250 Lariat CC, 7.3 PSD
Schmagma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2010, 12:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2KPSD View Post
California CAFE requires shutdown, Calf mandatory option, not sure where else it extends to. Think it's just Ca., or trucks ordered for Ca. for now. This includes all Diesels... from GM, Dodge, etc

Pls correct me, if necessary..
This is how it worked with the 6.4, the 6.7 is clean idle certified so the ESS is fleet option but not a regulatory requirement for 6.7 trucks:

Description:
CALIFORNIA HEAVY-DUTY DIESEL ENGINE IDLING REQUIREMENTS
The California Air Resources Board approved a regulatory measure, effective January 1, 2008, to further reduce
emissions of toxics and criteria pollutants by limiting idling of new diesel engine trucks with a gross vehicle weight
rating (GVWR) greater than 14,000 pounds, with vocational exemptions for certain buses, school buses,
recreational vehicles, medium duty vehicles, military tactical vehicles and authorized emergency vehicles, as
defined in various California Vehicle Code sections. The regulation primarily requires manufacturers of new
California certified 2008 and subsequent model-year diesel engines in these trucks to incorporate a system that
automatically shuts the engine down after five minutes of continuous idling or to certify the engine to an oxides of
nitrogen (NOx) idling emission standard of 30 grams per hour.

• Vehicles over 14K GVWR with 6.4L diesel engines must be equipped with an Engine Shutdown System
(ESS) in California and select California Emissions States (Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Maine, North
Carolina, New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania).
• Automatically ordered for vehicles being delivered to states with diesel engine idle regulations.
• Not available for ordering on vehicles with rear parking aid modules or manual transmissions.
• ESS automatically shuts down the engine after 5 min of continuous idling operation with the parking brake
engaged (15 min if the parking brake is not engaged) and the transmission set in “neutral” or “park”.
• Engines used in buses, RVs, military tactical vehicles and select authorized emergency vehicles are exempt
when ordered with option code 63E.
• ESS overrides:
Engine is operating in power take-off (PTO) mode
Engine coolant temperature is below 60F
Exhaust emission control device (DPF) is regenerating

Quote:

After 15 minutes of idleing they all shut down. I will have to go talk to the dealer to see if they can be reprogrammed to allow them to idle past 15 mins. I had hoped the high idle mod would work.
If the trucks have the idle shutdown option engaging the pto option in the SEIC should override the shutdown.
jasonmt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2010, 01:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmt View Post

If the trucks have the idle shutdown option engaging the pto option in the SEIC should override the shutdown.
Ours have PTOs and they are not shutting down, the will idle as long as you need. I can't think how scary that would be with 5K lbs on the crane and the engine shuts down. The trucks are F-350 SRW to F-550 DRW.
MonteCarlo31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2010, 03:03 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCarlo31 View Post
Ours have PTOs and they are not shutting down, the will idle as long as you need. I can't think how scary that would be with 5K lbs on the crane and the engine shuts down. The trucks are F-350 SRW to F-550 DRW.
So for clarity's sake are you talking about 6.4l equipped F-450/550 C&Cs with California Emissions AND/OR 6.7l trucks ordered with the 63T Engine Idle Shutdown?
jasonmt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2010, 07:53 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:

Lots of Nevada dealers order their units with Ca emissions, since that where they sell lots of units (I livew in Nv also).

So, it could have been speced as Ca. ready....
SOLD -2000 F-350 SRW, ORDERED 8/22/99, Built & released from Manufacturing 10/2/99/, At dealer 10/19/99, Picked up 10/22/99, 2000 F-350, CC, SRW, LWB, PSD, 6sp, Power-T-Mirrors - 54E, 4x4, Camper Setup, TT, Island Blue, Steps, CD, P-Glass, Manual 4WD Shift/Hubs, Warranty Voiding CUPHOLDER (saved a lot of money on ESP)
SOLD - 1991 SRW F350 7.3
SOLD - 1987 SRW F250 460 Gas
Y2KPSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2010, 06:11 AM   #13 (permalink)

Im not sure but maybe the guy that installs that part in my main compter was off that day, because I went to a cow sale, got to BS'ing and left my truck running,,Idled for nearly 2 hrs.
B&W Hitch 3:55 grs
Line X
SS 3 1/2 inch Nerf Bars
3 1/2 in Bull Bar
Rear Camera
Vent Visors
Brown and gold two tone
lhensley007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2010, 08:46 PM   #14 (permalink)

When we took delivery, the salesman had the truck idling because the temp was high 90's. We got in and spent almost 90 minutes learning about Sync and other gizmos. Nothing shut down. This thread had really bothered me up to that point because we often leave the engine idling with A/C on high to keep dogs from dying while we run in somewhere for an errand. Glad it seems to be only a CA thing.

This is my 4th SD
farnsyh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2010, 11:59 AM   #15 (permalink)

i'm in california. anyone here in california can confirm the CA trucks have the auto idle shutoff after 15mins? Is it true just by having the PTO, i could idle all day long.
sandboxdoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > '11-Up General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.