The Diesel Stop banner

Intermittent whistling noise at 75 mph

54K views 58 replies 33 participants last post by  Mickey Coffman 
#1 ·
2011 F350 with 34,000 miles. Great truck. Very happy with it. But it has this intermittent whistling type of noise at about 75 mph. Very irritating when it gets going. It was fairly common for about the first 10,000 miles or so. I took it to the dealer once or twice and they couldn't find anything. Then it pretty much stopped until it has resumed the last few thousand miles. I really thought it might be wind on the outside mirrors but I've repeatedly tried moving them in and out and folding them and it doesn't stop or change. It was so bad on a recent trip that I caught it on a video on my phone. Any thoughts or suggestions? Planning to take it to a different dealer but i'm not real optimistic if I cant give them something more specific to go on. Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Mine does that (when it's running) very same thing. I tell my wife it's a speed alarm. My whistle comes from the drivers door where the "A" pillar meets the window frame a few inches below the top of the door. On mine, it will stop or change tone if I stuff my finger through the little gap and push against the weather strip. It's especially bad when going about 70-75 and there is a stiff wind from the side. I think there's a weather strip fix on here some place that might be the answer.

#3 · (Edited)
I have a whistling noise at highway speeds, more noticeable on windy days, and it is intermittent just like yours, seems to be the front windshield weather strip. I can tell its on the drivers side, and I even had a buddy listen to it to make sure that I was not imagining it. Good luck getting this one duplicated at the dealership.

I will also add to this that there are some evident problems with the 2011-up weatherstrips in several locations, check your seal between the door and vehicle on top, both my rear ones have an issue, one wont stay in place, the other side is permanently disfigured, must have gotten loose, then the door being shut on it must have deformed it. Same with front ones. Also the outside lower window weatherstrips do not drain water properly, I keep getting water streak marks in the corners, I can see this potentially being a problem down the line with that area rusting or at least being permanently discolored.

#4 ·
This is exactly what I'm experiencing. Sounds like its coming from the area of the drivers side front pillar and more common when its windy. Ay ideas about how to escalate this with ford? Is Cory still monitoring this website or is there someone else doing it now? If this hadn't stopped for the last 20,000 miles I would have been jumping up and down on the dealer to find and fix it. It is very irritating and distracting when it gets going and I can't imagine living with it if it continues.

#5 ·
I had a similar issue at high speeds on windy days. Sounded like a "kazoo" sound. Originally thought it was coming from the sunroof but after hearing it a few dozen times I narrowed it down to coming from the windshield area.

Found a couple other threads online with the same problem and quite a few people found it to be the weatherstripping around the windshield. Some were able to convince their dealer to reset the windshield but without duplicating the sound for the dealer (which always seems impossible) that seems like an uphill battle.

I ended up getting some auto glass sealant from autozone and resealing the strips on both sides of the windshield. On mine those two weatherstrips were obviously loose. So far so good and haven't heard the noise since. Make sure to use some masking tape to hold the weatherstrip down after applying the sealant.

Hope you all find what's making the noise. I know mine drove me crazy till I found what was causing it.
Jeff

#6 ·
Hi everyone,

If you're currently experiencing this concern, I want to look into options to assist. Send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name. Also include whether or not you've already visited the dealership to have this addressed.

Thanks!

Crystal

#59 ·
Crystal.
I purchased a 2019 Ford Truck Super Duty in February of last year. It had 19 thousand miles on it. I have a whistling noise that is driving me crazy. I have 58,000 miles on it now
and it does seem to do it more on windy days, or going 70+ miles an hour.
I have not been able to pinpoint where it is coming from. It sounds like i'm not the only one with this problem. If you have any answers to my problem it would sure appreciate
Hearing about it
Thanks,
Mick Coffman

#7 ·
I've got it also...2011 with 50,000 miles. It only started about 10,000 miles ago though. Mine sounds like a "vibrating Kazoo" with a slight whistle/hum to it...if you can picture that. Almost sounds like it is coming from the dashboard...or through the front speakers. It doesn't sound like a typical "air coming through an open door" or "slightly cracked open" window. This is kind of a weird sound....like one of the posters mentioned...like a Kazoo..if you can believe that. I can't always duplicate it. I'll try to notice if I bucking a headwind next time I hear it.

Ken

#8 ·
Take a look at the plastic weatherstripping all along the outside of the windshield. I'd bet there's some areas where it's come unglued.

I think googling "superduty wind noise" or "superduty kazoo sound" should show the different threads out there with same problems and some of the solutions.

Hope you get it fixed. Def an annoying noise. I was hesitant at first and couldn't believe some cheap auto parts store glass sealant could fix it be it did the trick.

Jeff

#13 ·
Yes. That's it. I had mine on video too. Took the truck to ford dealer yesterday and played my video for them. They told me that they drove the truck and couldn't get the noise but that they think they know what it is and will fix. I haven't gotten it back yet. Will report back later.

#12 ·
I have a 2011 as well. 18K on it. Does the same whistling thing. Door seals look like those posting above as well. Looks like the next trip to the dealer I will need a rental car as I have long list of growing minor problems like my squeaking passenger seat belt. So much for quick lane next oil change..........

#14 ·
2011 without sunroof, 97,xxx miles. Does the same thing as everyone else is describing. I thought it was the mirrors as this is the first diesel I have ever had. Asked a couple locals about it with same trucks. They looked at me like I was crazy and said they've never had problem. I will check out my window seal. Thanks for this thread!

#16 ·
Mine does it it as well....with a good cross wind at around 75 miles an hour. Consequently, I had to get my windshield replaced so we'll see the next time I'm on the road.

#27 ·
Any updates on the highway speed wind noise problem and possible fixes? After getting the door seals replaced and doors aligned mine was much better, but not gone. Just less frequent and, when it occurred, not as long or loud. One problem for me is that I frequently drive my truck at 55-65 mph, but not so often at Interstate speeds where this problem shows up- at least for me. Just got back from a highway trip and the howling wind noise got going real good. I taped it on my phone and am scheduled to return to the dealer next week. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem and whether it's been fixed? Thanks.

#28 ·
I just had mine in the dealership and determined the noise was from the seal around the windshield. They resealed it and so far, it is fine.

#29 ·
Just got mine back from the dealership. As with WormDrowner they found a void in the sealant at the lower, driver's side corner of the windshield, which is where I heard the noise coming from. Replaced and resealed the windshield. Will have to wait for a few trips on the Interstate to confirm that this resolved the problem. Fingers crossed that it did!!

#30 ·
Mine whistles from the top of the drivers door, particularly with a strong crosswind. I was able to feel the wind coming through by holding my fingers near the seal. Dealer replaced the seal, which helped a bit, particularly at first, but the noise is still there and seems to be getting louder again. I'll address it with them again the next time it is in for service. I wonder if there is a thicker seal that can be put in.

#31 ·
I thought I was going crazy with my truck whistling. Now after reading the posts I know I am not alone in the looney bin. Thanks to the forum once again and tomorrow hopefully the dealer will believe me. And I can save on mental health co-pays also��

#32 ·
I thought I was going crazy with my truck whistling. Now after reading the posts I know I am not alone in the looney bin. Thanks to the forum once again and tomorrow hopefully the dealer will believe me...
Any news from the dealership, Incorrigible? I'm always just a PM away if you need me to step in and assist. :thumbsup:

Crystal

#33 ·
I have a 2011 f250 super duty with the same noise. After numerous trips to the dealer and a windshield change the repair tech finally found the noise was coming from the triangle pice of plastic that covers the pivot arms on the drivers side door where the plastic piece meets the rubber strip on the door. There was a small gap between the piece and the rubber weather-stripping. They replaced the plastic piece with a new one that fits right against the rubber strip. Problem solved. Now if I could figure out how to feel the crappy leather King Ranch seats from falling apart I would be a happy man.

Kent

#35 ·
...Now if I could figure out how to feel the crappy leather King Ranch seats from falling apart I would be a happy man...
What's going on with your leather seats, Kent? Reach out to me via PM and I'll see what I can do to help. Be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, mileage, VIN, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

#34 ·
Had it happen to me for the first time heading out to DIA to catch a flight last week in a strong crosswind up Pena blvd. I plan on getting a new windshield in spring (good ole Colorado sand blasting) so I'll address it then getting new seals done at the same time....

#36 ·
mine doing the same thing, sounds like from the area where the windshield meets the cowl, I will look at the windshield trim

#37 ·
BINGO, did you find the noise??

#39 ·
My 2011-F250 also makes/made the 'Kazoo' noise. Will not bring it to my dealer, Allstar, Denham Springs, LA, they might not be able to find the windshild. Thanks for the help, I thought I had located the noise just where the forum guys say it is, will look closer at the fit. Thanks, great forum.

#42 ·
Just finished first trip on Interstate after windshield replaced. No kazoo wind noise. Earlier efforts to align doors and changing door seals helped, but it wasn't gone. Just not as loud, long and frequent. When they popped out the old windshield they said they found a gap or void in the sealant right where it sounded like the noise was coming from. Fingers crossed its finally fixed now. Only took almost 3 years, 45,000 miles and 5-6 trips to the dealer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.