The Diesel Stop banner

Less Regen's with new truck - why?

4K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  larrgh 
#1 ·
I'm sure there's 10,000 regen posts on here, so sorry if it's redundant. The posts I found didn't quite answer my question.

Until about 2 weeks ago I owned a 2012 F250 6.7. I bought it used with about 50k miles on it. The prev. owner was very gentle with it and used it as a daily driver. Naturally, I went through a lot of exhaust regen's in the first few weeks and months as I'm sure I was burning all his funk off. Had the truck about 3 yrs and towards the end before I traded it in, it would regen on me what seemed to be every 400 miles or so.

2 weeks ago, I traded it for a very very nice 2014 F350 6.7 with 17k miles. I've since put over 700 miles on it and it hasn't regen' on me yet. Not really complaining, but I'm a little curious as to why this might be? I'm driving the same distances, with similar loads and my mode of driving hasn't changed.

Is it possible that the previous owner worked the engine enough that the exhaust filter is just that clean? Just a little surprised I'm not getting regen's so far.

Any thoughts ?

Thx,
Hd

See less See more
#2 ·
Ford has the regen distance set at 500 miles since last regen as the max distance. I am not aware of it being change. Maybe Keith, Ford Doctor, will chime in and verify this. It is possible you may have missed the cleaning exhaust filter message. You can get the exhaust screen turned on and it will tell you the percent full the DPF might be. It cna be turned on by the dealer or by using FORScan.

not sure if it was posted on this forum or not.

FORSCAN: Enable Exhaust Filter - WITHOUT DEALER - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

#3 ·
Ford has the regen distance set at 500 miles since last regen as the max distance.QUOTE]

Thanks larrgh. So are you saying that Ford sets the regen's to run automatically when you hit 500 miles over your last regen? That would mean that at a maximum of 500 miles past the last regen, the regen will clean the filter even if it didn't really need it. It was based on mileage.

Naturally, the regen can happen more frequently than 500 miles due to driving habits and such but if I understand you right, even if your operating the truck as it should be... expect a regen every 500 miles or so.

Am I right on this or off base?
Thx,
hd

#4 ·
There are 2 types of regens.

Passive and Active.

Doesn't active happen when the message pops up?

I tow often so I don't see a lot of regen screens pop up.

#6 ·
So correct me if I'm wrong.
Active is when the the DPF needs to be cleaned and your not running hot enough to do it. So it dumps fuel to get there.

Passive is when you are towing or driving hard enough that you don't need to dump "extra" fuel to get there. Then the DPF gets cleaned.

So to build on lincster's question. Does the dash message pop up for both active and passive regen's? Or only during Active?

Thanks!

Reactions: dirtytires
#5 ·
Doesn't matter if you have passive regens or not. When the distance since the last regen hits 500 miles, the truck will do active regen regardless of the soot load.

My CTS2 has shown soot less than 2gr/l with filter at like 45% and it went into active regen when the truck registers 500 miles since previous active regen.

HD883, you are spot on. You can get the Exhaust Filter screen turned on and watch what the ECM computes the DPF load is.

#7 ·
HD883, you are spot on. You can get the Exhaust Filter screen turned on and watch what the ECM computes the DPF load is.
Well that is pretty darn cool. I am definitely going to go talk to the local Ford dealer and see if I can get that added to the HUD display. Thanks!!!!

#8 · (Edited)
yes, passive is just that...hauling a trailer up and down mountains, etc that causes the truck to heat up the exhaust without extra fuel. There is not screen display for passive. Active regen is only time you get a message and the ECM dumps extra fuel to generate the needed heat in the CAT and DPF.

If you have a computer and an interface to the OBDII port, you can add the screen yourself.

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/ge...can-enable-exhaust-filter-without-dealer.html

#10 ·
#9 ·
Hmmmmm..... When I am towing my 17,000lb 5th wheel at 75mph on a 600 mile round trip, I don't get the Active Regen message one time.

I figured I am running hot enough the whole time that it is keeping the filter clean.

I know I am running 20lbs of boost the whole time and getting 8mpg. Love it. :)

#13 ·
Back to the original question, I believe your answer will be the physical size of the DPF. I have a buddy with a 2014 F-250, comparing his DPF to my 2015 F-350 DRW, it is night and day. Yes, I average greater than 450 miles per regen, he is in the 150-200 mile range.

Cale

#14 ·

Whoa! Really? The DPF filters are different sizes therefore clog up at different rates under the same conditions?

#16 ·
To have your Ford service department turn on the regen screen give them the below procedure. Someone kindly posted this awhile back and when I had my first service I gave it to the service coordinator. Neither he nor the tech knew anything about it but followed the procedure and turned my screen on:

Ford Service Department

Those with the monitors have that ability. I just use the second trip information and reset it when I notice the "Cleaning Particulate Filter" message. I also had my dealer activate on the gauges screen, the filter status. This gives me a good heads up as to when the next Regen is getting close. On the XLT that you have, not sure you have all of these options unless you have the 4.2 inch info screen in your gauges.

Print this off and give to tech as they probably will have no idea what you are talking about.

Connect IDS to truck

click toolbox
click module programming
click programmable parameters
select "personality" parameter
change "forced regeneration request" to "enabled".

#20 ·
Sorry for the delayed response, traveling for work. One cannot argue part numbers, that is the proof. My only comparison was a quick look once, about 2 years ago. My buddy, with his 2014 F-250 CC short bed always regenerates around 200 miles, give or take. I am usually above 400 miles. I have always been since I have owned the truck. Even my CTS notes the average regen distance around 418 miles. I do prefer the Torque Pro app, as it gives the no kidding Distance From Last Regen... My buddy and I worked at the same place and were neighbors (military), so our driving habits were nearly identical.

Another possibility for regen distance could be gear ratio??

Larry, looking up those part numbers, I can guarantee mine will disappear when it needs to be replaced. Have you seen those prices?? $2500!!! Screw that.

Sorry for passing bum gouge on the DPF sizes.

Cale

#21 ·
Yes, the prices are a bit extreme and the DPF is considered a consumable like brake pads.

The way distance is computed for the distance between regens is odd but correct with the CTS is you think about the way Ford imposes the 500 miles limit. It is the distance sine the END of the last regen. Many of us use the mileage from the START of the regen which includes the regen miles also. Using the START will give you approx 520-525 miles since last regen if you went to max mileage. If you use the mileage from the END of the last regen to the START of the next regen, it would be approx 500 miles at max mileage.

No problem own thinking the DPF's were different size. I have made my own mistakes and learned the facts from the guys on the forums such as yourself. That what discussing problems and/or solutions are about.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.