Navigation DVD Override Parking Brake - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > '11-Up General Questions

'11-Up General Questions General questions related to 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2010, 05:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Navigation DVD Override Parking Brake

I was told at the Ford dealer my truck will play DVD on the Navigation Screen if the truck's parking brake was set. I was wondering if anybody knew which wire you could cut in the radio wiring harness and either send power to or ground to make the radio "think" the park brake is on but really isn't so DVD can be watched while driving. I know this is very dangerous but my truck doesnt have rear seat dvd package.
2012 F350 King Ranch FX4 6.7L CC DRW, Green Gem, Nav, Factory Installed Gooseneck Hitch, AMP Steps, Tan Front and Rear Ranchhands, Firestone CoilRite and RideRight Air Bags, American Force Direct Bolt-On 19.5" Wheels, Hancook DH01 265/70R19.5 Tires
BIGwhiteF350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2010, 05:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Cutting the parking brake lead or anything with it will not accomplish anything. The radio knows you are moving because of the GPS capability. You would need a LockPick or similar software program to trick the software into thinking the truck is not moving. Any radio with GPS will have the same issue.

2001 F-250 CC Lariat, LB, 4x4. 205K and Traded in

1996 F-250 XLT Regular Cab, 4x4, 187K. Bartered for construction work.

2010 Cougar 32RLB 5th Wheel - Traded in 1/22/11

2011 Road Warrior 30C Titanium Edition (SOLD)
dsroka80504 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2010, 05:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

i was able to ground one of my wires on my pioneer avic d3 with gps that would allow the use of it with the truck in drive but I am sure the new factory units would have a deterant to prevent..... but you never know. Does not hurt to ask around.
rfishoutofwater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2010, 06:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Dak

My Photos: (1)
I'm interested, but resigning myself to having to spend the $$ on a lock pick or similar device.

It doesn't hurt to ask, but I believe dsroka is correct - it knows you are moving because of a speed sensor and/or GPS. Even if Cut and ground works, it will make NAV performance suffer. So whatever you do, make sure you can easily (maybe via upfitter switch?) be undone.

OR Better yet, do what I did a few vehicles ago. I bought a set of cheap strap to the seatback DVD players with rechargeable battery packs. With the 2011's you can lock them under the seat when not in use and actually keep them charged up. Plus you can move them from vehicle to vehicle and bring them inside the hotel room when on vacation.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:23 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
Quote:
Cutting the parking brake lead or anything with it will not accomplish anything. The radio knows you are moving because of the GPS capability. You would need a LockPick or similar software program to trick the software into thinking the truck is not moving. Any radio with GPS will have the same issue.
In one of my older trucks I had a in-din fold out DVD player and to get the dvd player to work there was a wire that was supposed to get grounded when the e-brake was on, but you couldn't just ground it and be done, it had a special sequnece like you had to apply the brake twice and leave it on to work, so I had it hooked up on a toggle switch that I fliped twice. As for the GPS I don't think the GPS DVD and Radio are all tied together with one program, I would think its three seperate programs that are in the same unit, as in the parking brake would not affect GPS because the GPS signal comes from antenna not the truck.
Quote:
I am sure the new factory units would have a deterant to prevent
I don't think Ford radio are that smart yet but they might be.
2012 F350 King Ranch FX4 6.7L CC DRW, Green Gem, Nav, Factory Installed Gooseneck Hitch, AMP Steps, Tan Front and Rear Ranchhands, Firestone CoilRite and RideRight Air Bags, American Force Direct Bolt-On 19.5" Wheels, Hancook DH01 265/70R19.5 Tires
BIGwhiteF350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2010, 09:35 AM   #6 (permalink)

Maybe a silly question, but has anyone tried putting the parking brake on 1 click and then driving to see if that'll do it?
TRoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2010, 10:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
Dak

My Photos: (1)
Don't have mine to try - ut when I did the transmission had to be in PARK for it to work. As soon as I shifted out of park the DVD Video portion turned off.
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > '11-Up General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.