Pet barrier for 2011 crew cab. - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > '11-Up General Questions

'11-Up General Questions General questions related to 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2011, 12:27 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Pet barrier for 2011 crew cab.

My new truck is scheduled to be here in about a month. The dogs were hard on the interior of the last truck and it had cloth seats. I'm getting leather interior heated/cooled seats and will get a seat cover for the back. Once it warms up enough, I'll tether the big dogs in the box. Have any of you installed a pet barrier to keep dogs out of the front seats?
Nthorseman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2011, 10:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

Same problem here. We use a full harness on the atv that hooks into the seat belts. I believe it's more common among truckers for their companions.

I keep the lead on it short and I'm going to try it and see if it will keep the dogs off the front seats. My plan is to sew several freight blankets together to protect the entire back of the truck and the back of the front seats when they ride with us.

Completely off topic: we took a rear seat beat out of the vw and bolted it to the atv rack to anchor the dog, works well.
fasterfizzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2011, 01:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

'Belting them in' is a lot like having kids...only kids don't get all twisted up in the harness.

There has to be a good working barrier out there that someone is aware of.
Nthorseman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2011, 01:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

i always think of being in a wreck. a restrained dog can not help itself get out. a restrained dog can not get help for you. good chances are in a wreck a restrained dog will be more injured then a nonrestrained dog. a restrained dog is pointless if someone comes up to rob you in your vehicle and or steel your vehicle. a thief would look at you and laugh. i have leather in my pickup and have no trouble. keep your dogs nails trimmed and the fur trimmed down too. i also drive tractor trailer and my dog goes with me. the dog is never restrained.
2002 F-250: CREW CAB: SHORT BED: 4X4IESEL: 6SPD MANUAL: ALUMINUM AIR INTAKE: 4" BANKS DOWN PIPE: CUSTOM MADE 5" DUAL EXHAUST IN FRONT OF REAR WHEELS: TS PERFORMANCE 6POSITION 140HP: AUTOMETER GAUGES ON PILLAR AND ON INSTRUMENT CLUSTER: DUAL FRONT SHOCKS: DUAL STEERING STABILIZER: KYB MONOTUBE SHOCKS AND STEERING STABILIZER: LIFTED 2INCHES: TOYO OPEN COUNTRY AT TIRES LT285/75/17 LOAD RANGE E: 17" AMERICAN RACING WHEELS: CUSTOM MADE WHEEL SPACERS: WARN HUBS: POWER SLOT FRONT BRAKE ROTORS: HAWK SD BRAKE PADS UP FRONT: SMOKED CAB LIGHTS: SMOKED TAIL LIGHTS: POLK AUDIO 10" SUBS IN HOMEMADE BOXES: SONY HEAD UNIT AND SPEAKERS: KENWOOD AMP
claw444 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2011, 02:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

If you have the 40/20/40 seat, you may not even need a barrier. I just flip up my center seat and it is only about 10 inches from the ceiling. My lab can't possibly fit through there. That center seat with the headrest is quite high when you put it in the upright position. Everytime we stop, I just flip it up and he stays in the back seat.

2001 F-250 CC Lariat, LB, 4x4. 205K and Traded in

1996 F-250 XLT Regular Cab, 4x4, 187K. Bartered for construction work.

2010 Cougar 32RLB 5th Wheel - Traded in 1/22/11

2011 Road Warrior 30C Titanium Edition (SOLD)
dsroka80504 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2011, 02:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsroka80504 View Post
If you have the 40/20/40 seat, you may not even need a barrier. I just flip up my center seat and it is only about 10 inches from the ceiling. My lab can't possibly fit through there. That center seat with the headrest is quite high when you put it in the upright position. Everytime we stop, I just flip it up and he stays in the back seat.
Then for sure the Great Dane won't fit, still not sure about the Weimaraner. I was going leather for sure but I also think I'm going to use some kind of heavy duty covers.

I want to keep them off the backs of the front seat too.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (11)
There could only be a 6" gap and a Weimaraner could figure out a way to get through it. I know my shorthair could.

2011 F350 Lariat, SC, SWB, 6.7L, 4x4, 3.55ELD, FX4, Lariat Int Pkg, 20's

SOLD 2003 Mustang SVT Cobra, black convertible. - 6/2007 - 9/2013

SOLD: 2002 F250 Lariat, V10, 4x4, auto, 3.73LS, SC/SB, camper & off-road pkg. 12/2001 - 12/2010

Link: Fuel Mileage Spreadsheet With spreadsheet open click File then Download if you would like a copy of the spreadsheet.

Link: Rapid-Heat Sup Cab Heater Test Data and Graphs
doczenith1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2011, 12:21 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doczenith1 View Post
There could only be a 6" gap and a Weimaraner could figure out a way to get through it. I know my shorthair could.

Yup she'd get through. Plus I'm too much of a softy. I let her ride stretched out on the front seat and head on my knee. Won't work for an '11 with console though.

For those searching for options like I am check this out, found it wandering on the net today:

Canine Covers
Old 01-26-2011, 10:08 AM   #9 (permalink)

I used a Covercraft cover on my back seat for the 01. It was made of Jean material and held up great. They have custom fit for our trucks so you can fold etc. Washable also.
Stsmark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2011, 12:05 AM   #10 (permalink)

I don't travel much with my pup in the bed but when I do I plan on using a specially made bed tie down and harness contraption that i found online. Pup is outside loving the breeze and no scratches, fur, seat covers to deal with. I understand there are safety concerns of doing such but for what I use it for it works for me. Harsh weather conditions would be a different ball game though.
Thecmonz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2011, 09:01 AM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (11)
My dog used to love riding in the back of my truck. Only at speeds less than 50 mph though and no restraint. He was trained not to put his paws on the bed rail and not to jump out!

2011 F350 Lariat, SC, SWB, 6.7L, 4x4, 3.55ELD, FX4, Lariat Int Pkg, 20's

SOLD 2003 Mustang SVT Cobra, black convertible. - 6/2007 - 9/2013

SOLD: 2002 F250 Lariat, V10, 4x4, auto, 3.73LS, SC/SB, camper & off-road pkg. 12/2001 - 12/2010

Link: Fuel Mileage Spreadsheet With spreadsheet open click File then Download if you would like a copy of the spreadsheet.

Link: Rapid-Heat Sup Cab Heater Test Data and Graphs
doczenith1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2011, 09:07 AM   #12 (permalink)

Haven't tried yet in the new truck - still too new and we are not traveling yet.

In my GMC for short trips I used a rear seat cover that I got from Duluth Trading (there are others). Uses straps around the head rest to form a basket of sorts in the rear seat. I don't think it will be big enough for the SD, as the interior seems bigger then the GM.

For longer trips I put he seat bottom up and the back down. This made a nice big 3x5 platform for the dogs, had a cushion made that matched the floor shape at a local boat shop.

With both options I used a 1.25" piece of PVC wire tied to the head rest to keep the girls in the back. That worked, my one Golden was always jumping in my seat when I got out.

With the new truck I am planning on a platform for the rear seats with the bottom folded up. Looks like it will be about 2x5 when finished and hopefully enough room. I already have a piece of marine vinyl that I will make a cover that goes from the head rests down and over the platform. I will also be making a cushion for that platform.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:17 PM   #13 (permalink)

In past trucks I would fold up the seat, put a large blanket down then 2 petbeds on top. I have a cargo net from harbor freight that I would hook to the clothes hook and then hook to the bottom front seat supports. That would keep them comfortable. I also used 3m clear protective film on the rear arm rest and top of door to keep their paws from scratching anything.

With the new superduty's the clothes hook is not there so I will have to figure something out. Probably buy stock hooks from ford and install them closer to the front seat where they used to be.

You can take the cargo bin out by removing 6 bolts. I am thinking of building a platform to bolt onto this and extend it to the front seats. That way they can look out the window without having to lean up and put paws on window edge.

If we go on long trips then I will probably just take the rear seat out.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:41 AM   #14 (permalink)

Made a PVC barrier and painted it black. Without a barrier every time I would get out of the truck my one girl would sit in the drivers seat. Its cute a couple of times.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:30 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by porthole View Post
Made a PVC barrier and painted it black. Without a barrier every time I would get out of the truck my one girl would sit in the drivers seat. Its cute a couple of times.
Pictures of what you built and installed would be nice...
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > '11-Up General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.