Portable fuel tank... - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > '11-Up General Questions

'11-Up General Questions General questions related to 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 07:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Portable fuel tank...

I have two old military diesel fuel cans, Jerry cans, is what I have heard them called. IS it a bad idea to put diesel in these for a long road trip? I like to have that "just in case" on hand. Suggestions?
2012 6.7L SRW F350 Lariat FX4 w/ 3.55 gears, 20" wheels, Oxford White in color with Adobe Leather seats and lots of other stuff I haven't figured out how to use! Thanks dear wife for buying it for me!
JFordBronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 08:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

the only thing I can think of is if they are galvanized then NO. The diesel will eat the zinc coating off them and cause an expensive repair bill when the zinc goes threw your fuel system

1995 F150 5.0L Eddie Bauer Extended Cab two-tone Dark Blue/Tan Crane Cam, Roller Rocker arms, duel exhaust, Rhino bedliner with diamond plated bed and tailgate rails, Chrome bumpers front and back
thatmedic88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 03:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

How would I tell if it's galvanized? The only thing I can tell you for sure about it is it's olive drab and it's old but it works well...
2012 6.7L SRW F350 Lariat FX4 w/ 3.55 gears, 20" wheels, Oxford White in color with Adobe Leather seats and lots of other stuff I haven't figured out how to use! Thanks dear wife for buying it for me!
JFordBronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 09:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

Most of them are made out of pressed steel. Galvanized steel has a dull look to it. I cant say Ive seen any in galvanized steel. Most of these are made to an old OSHA standard, if I remember correctly. Google it. Might have a requirement of being made out of a certain material.

I doubt its galvanized but I just saying FYI galvanized steel and diesel dont mix. I would hate for you to have to pay a huge repair bill.

1995 F150 5.0L Eddie Bauer Extended Cab two-tone Dark Blue/Tan Crane Cam, Roller Rocker arms, duel exhaust, Rhino bedliner with diamond plated bed and tailgate rails, Chrome bumpers front and back
thatmedic88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 09:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

Me too

I'm doing the same thing. I have to "gerry cans" (ie German gas cans) I carry for extra diesel. Mine are bare steel inside. Galvanizing would be used for water cans to prevent rust. Diesle doesn't rust steel. That's the way I finger it anyway.
Headspace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 10:42 AM   #6 (permalink)

Check them out carefully. Maybe put some fuel in them and slosh it around in the back of your truck for a day or two. Dump out your sample and carefully inspect it to see if any specs are now in the fuel.

I've found that a lot of the old Jerry Cans have started to rust over the years and are more nostalgic than functional. And I hate the new generation of plastic jugs. The govt has made the spouts almost worthless.

http://www.fuelly.com/sig-us/59436.png
Painted Horse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 03:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
Unless ya got a good funnel them pos spouts are worthless.
2011 F-350 Superduty 6.7. CC,LB, SRW 3.31 ELD.Vermillion Red.Bakflip HD,Spray in bedliner. Tint all windows.Edge Insite CTS. DDM Tuning,Hi/Low HID'S (H13,55W.Bull Bar. red grill lettering/stainless tailgate letters.AMI chrome locking fuel door.Plazma light bar.
2011 F-350 Superduty 6.7. CC.LB SRW Oxford white. (FORD BUY BACK)!!!
2009 F-250 Superduty 6.4. CC.LB SRW Trade in.
2010 Ford Focus. All the bells and whistles. Red Wifey's econo box
1994 F-150.XLT.5.8 litre 351. E4ODE.Extended cab LB. 198,000 miles.Don't use a drop of oil.
Hdslider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 08:30 AM   #8 (permalink)

12 volt pump

Yeah, those plastic spouts are worthless and I can't lift a five gallon can because of bad back. So I bought a 12 volt diesel transfer pump that comes with hoses, nozel and wires with clips from Harbor Freight.
I do a lot of off road RV with my '13 f-350 6.7 with a slide in camper. Pulled the back seat out of the crew cab and replaced it with a custom "tool box" that takes up the entire back of the cab. Bolted in with all the original seat and seat belt bolts. Go for miles into remote county in the southwest so I carry extra water and diesel. In stead of built in tanks I can choose how many gerry cans and water jugs to carry on each trip.
Headspace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > '11-Up General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.