Ripples in sheet metal - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > '11-Up General Questions

'11-Up General Questions General questions related to 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 02:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ripples in sheet metal

Bought a new 2012 F-250 4X4 last week. Today i was sitting in the garage enjoying a cigar and admiring my truck in the driveway when i noticed on the drivers side door near the bottom some waves in the sheet metal, there are no scratches or dings so i know that it was painted this way from the factory. Looking at the truck straight on you can not see the flaws but looking from the side you can notice them. For a 64k truck this is unacceptable, now my eye goes directly to that area. The truck should have never left the factory this way. The truck only had 10 miles when i drove it off the lot. Knowing that the NEW truck now needs to go into the body shop for repairs is crazy, has anyone else had the same issues?
RH67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 03:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

I wouldn't let the body shop mess with mine. Just go have the hole lower sides LineX'd and you won't notice it. I just don't trust the dealers body shops much.
"SOLD" 2012 F350 CC/SB 6.7 4X4 Lariat, 3:31 Gears
dslbrnr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 04:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have noticed all the new trucks seem to have some rippling. I'm thinking they use thinner sheet metal than they once did. I'm with you...I don't like it.

Last edited by RedF-350; 11-09-2012 at 09:29 AM.
RedF-350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 06:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

All of the other doors look good it`s just the drivers door. To me it looks as if the door was damaged then repaired, i know that it was not the dealer because i saw the truck 20 mins. after it was unloaded at the dealer. It`s just hard for me to believe that it was released from the factory this way.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

I try not to look to close anymore, I always find something.
"SOLD" 2012 F350 CC/SB 6.7 4X4 Lariat, 3:31 Gears
dslbrnr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 08:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dslbrnr View Post
I try not to look to close anymore, I always find something.
What he said... Its not a fine hand crafted work of art, its a thrown together pile of mass produced, stamped and welded metal. You can't really say its a $60k truck the body should be perfect because its the same cab they slap on a $30k XL superduty work truck...

Funny thing is today I got asked by 3 different people, "Are you sure you want to have a hole drilled in your roof?" because I need a county gov radio installed in my truck for plow/salt contracting.
My reply, I don't care its a work truck, hell pop a extra hole up there for my ham radio antenna Pretty sure I have a small ding or 2 on the truck already as well , mine had 2 miles on it when picked it up, only has 500 on it now lol
And how did you get a f250 up to $64k? mine was only $60k sticker... well mine did come without a bed
Custom~ fabbed rear bumper, tarp gantry, rear warning led setup, SEIC & rear strobe control panel (in the drivers side powerpoint trim)
And more to come

'99 F350 XLT CC LB 4x4 dually 7.3, Dents build character 408,000ish miles on the clock (2nd motor)
'93 Exploder Sport, 5.0 swap, 4r70w+Baumann TCS, Atlas 2 T-case 3.8:1 twin stick, Narrowed D44 '79 f150 solid axle swap, bunch o other junk...
'69 Ford rust bucket, err Bronco, "resto"/mods in the planning stages

Last edited by Wolf451; 11-09-2012 at 08:36 PM. Reason: dings not dents...
Wolf451 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 09:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
I am amazed at the spendy luxury cars that I see with waves or ripples around the door handles sitting on the lots.

I can see things like that everywhere.
Get over it or it'll make you crazy.
Just remember it's not your offspring and it's not terminal cancer. It is a truck and they make hundreds of thousands of them.
36 feet on the floor Elite/Outlaw LQ horse trailer.
36 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer.
36 foot Sooner 6 horse large dressing/ mid tack.
2003 EB Expedition 149K (no engine repairs, gas burners are the new longevity leaders)
2004 Volvo V70R AWD-high miler in fleet, 215K (no engine repairs)
2007 BMW 550i 6MT 112K
jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 10:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

I own 3 Raptors and every panel is perfect, my F-450 was perfect and my last 4 F-250`s had nothing like my new truck. I will not lower my standards and accept this as the new normal, it does not have to be this way, we need to hold them to a higher standard.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:53 AM   #9 (permalink)

^^ X's 2 ^^
RedF-350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 10:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

My 350 sheet metal all looks good.

I bought an 02 Ranger new. The dealer had to get me one from another lot so that I had the options that I wanted. I bought it sight unseen, but hey it was a new truck so I had nothing to worry about... I took delivery and there was literally a thumb print in the paint of the passanger door by the window channel. I dont even know how that could possibly happen in the manufacturing plant, or how it could have been missed. Dealer had it fixed under warranty, and I got it back with a ding on the passanger door. OK I get it back from having that fixed and there is overspray in the door jam that makes the paint look dull (black truck). Got that fixed and a year later (long story) I talk to the same dealer about trading it in, and they wanted to devalue it because of "bodywork."
scjmc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 11:50 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scjmc View Post
My 350 sheet metal all looks good.

I bought an 02 Ranger new. The dealer had to get me one from another lot so that I had the options that I wanted. I bought it sight unseen, but hey it was a new truck so I had nothing to worry about... I took delivery and there was literally a thumb print in the paint of the passanger door by the window channel. I dont even know how that could possibly happen in the manufacturing plant, or how it could have been missed. Dealer had it fixed under warranty, and I got it back with a ding on the passanger door. OK I get it back from having that fixed and there is overspray in the door jam that makes the paint look dull (black truck). Got that fixed and a year later (long story) I talk to the same dealer about trading it in, and they wanted to devalue it because of "bodywork."
I hear you, that is why i have to leave it the way it is. This is the first new truck or car for that matter that i have ever an issue like this, just POOR quality control. I never thought that i would have to examine a new car for such defects, show me the car fax.

The only real fix would be a new painted door from Ford. What do you say Ford customer service?
Old 11-19-2012, 09:15 PM   #12 (permalink)

I agree with prior post. My 2011 sheetmetal has waves and fit isnt what my 99 was. I guess I was so excited about getn new truck after 11 years I had goggles on. Tooooo late now
Mighty White is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 10:23 PM   #13 (permalink)

A new painted door would be the only way to go. If I had gotten that 10 years ago with that Ranger I would have saved so much headache.
scjmc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 11:19 AM   #14 (permalink)

I also have a 2012 F350 and haven't noticed any ripples but haven't had the opportunity to look that close. I will look at it in the next couple of days and get back to you.
luvfordtrucks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 10:56 AM   #15 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH67 View Post
Bought a new 2012 F-250 4X4 last week. Today i was sitting in the garage enjoying a cigar and admiring my truck in the driveway when i noticed on the drivers side door near the bottom some waves in the sheet metal...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty White View Post
I agree with prior post. My 2011 sheetmetal has waves and fit isnt what my 99 was...
RH67 & Mighty White,

Iím sorry for missing this thread the first time around. I want to help by having this escalated up to your regional customer service managers. Please send me a PM with your full name, VIN, daytime phone number, dealer name/state, and approximate mileage.

Cory

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordTrucks @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordTrucks facebook.com/Ford

Last edited by FordService; 11-27-2012 at 11:02 AM.
FordService is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > '11-Up General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.