Sync won't answer phone - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > '11-Up General Questions

'11-Up General Questions General questions related to 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2011, 09:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sync won't answer phone

I see others with this issue on the net but I don't see any answers. I have a Motorola W409g phone from Net10 that Sync refuses to answer. The Bluetooth connects fine. The phone book down loads. I can make calls. Everything else works as it should but it ignores incoming calls until I answer them on the phone, then Sync will take over. I have paired them several times. I have reset both the phone and Sync to factory default. I don't know what I am missing. Any ideas??

SOLD - 2001 F250 XLT 7.3L SC/SB 4x4 (ESOF) - Tranny Upgrades; SCMT 1705; AIS Intake w/trimmed Snorkel; ZooDad; Turbo back 4" Exhaust; Issopro Pillar Mount Gauges; TC lockup LED; Auto Magic Heater Bypass; 2W Low Switch.
Cool_Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2011, 06:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Is it listed as compatible?
Not all Bluetooth implementations are fully compatible, leading to weird behavior.
BCooke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2011, 08:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

I can't find a listing that includes Net10 or Tracfone.

SOLD - 2001 F250 XLT 7.3L SC/SB 4x4 (ESOF) - Tranny Upgrades; SCMT 1705; AIS Intake w/trimmed Snorkel; ZooDad; Turbo back 4" Exhaust; Issopro Pillar Mount Gauges; TC lockup LED; Auto Magic Heater Bypass; 2W Low Switch.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

when it rings, does the box come up with the number, and ask you if you want to answer or hang up (with the red and green buttons)? Have you tried answering via the green button AND the button on the steering wheel? (just curious).

Also, I used to pair up my phone via the media (for bluetooth) and sometimes had problems with Sync. When I deleted the phone, then added it as a new phone via the "phone" button instead of "media", the problems stopped.
2009 F250 6.4 KR CCSB 4x4 FX4 (sold)
2011 Raptor 6.2 Crew SVT (sold at 9,000)
HoustonRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2011, 06:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

Synce is nice but far from what they could do with it. The chip Ford uses from Micro Soft cost only $24. You get what you pay for.
2011 F350 Lariat DK.Blue/Silver,Black Leather Crew Cab,Short Box SRW. Supplemental Heater,3.55 ELD, Remote Starter. Used for hauling 16ft x 8.5ft. Work Trailer , 8ft. Fisher Plow, Lance 820 truck camper for those days I can get away.
Captcaper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2011, 08:12 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRider View Post
when it rings, does the box come up with the number, and ask you if you want to answer or hang up (with the red and green buttons)? Have you tried answering via the green button AND the button on the steering wheel? (just curious).

Also, I used to pair up my phone via the media (for bluetooth) and sometimes had problems with Sync. When I deleted the phone, then added it as a new phone via the "phone" button instead of "media", the problems stopped.
The phone itself rings. Sync does nothing and the radio keeps playing. If I try to answer it with the steering wheel button, Nothing. If I answer the phone itself, then everything starts going through Sync.

I've paired this phone so many times and ways. It's always ends the same. Yes, I used the phone button because it seems better that the Media button.

The longer I own this truck, the more disappointed I get with Sync. I thought it was pretty cool at first. I'm not the biggest Microsoft fan to start with. This message is coming via Linux.

Old 12-24-2011, 11:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captcaper View Post
Synce is nice but far from what they could do with it. The chip Ford uses from Micro Soft cost only $24. You get what you pay for.
Didn't know that, but I agree. I like using it to talk on the phone, but for directions and stuff like that, I'll take the Google Maps and GPS built into my Android phone over Sync directions anytime.
Racklefratz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2011, 11:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool_Canuck View Post
The phone itself rings. Sync does nothing and the radio keeps playing. If I try to answer it with the steering wheel button, Nothing. If I answer the phone itself, then everything starts going through Sync.
Yeah, when a call arrives, the radio should mute and the ring should play through the truck's speakers - sounds to me like there's some kind of incompatibility with the way the phone's bluetooth stack is paired with the truck. The truck's bluetooth isn't sensing when the call happens.

Have you checked on Ford's Sync site to see if your truck has the latest Sync update?
Old 12-24-2011, 11:41 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racklefratz View Post
,<snip>
Have you checked on Ford's Sync site to see if your truck has the latest Sync update?
That's something I need to do. I started off once but this sketchy internet fell apart during it. I try again.

Old 12-24-2011, 01:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

Cool Canuck,

Where do you keep your phone when you are driving? Stored on your belt, pocket, or close to the Radio?
You mentioned Sync will make a call with no issue but doesn't answer until hit the button on the phone. Have you tried calling your cell phone shortly after making a phone call?
I had trouble getting my Blackberry to pair with Sync. When I was about to give up, I was holding the phone close to the radio wondering why it was being so difficult when it successfully paired. Figured I would see if your phone has been close to the radio to avoid any interference with the Bluetooth on the phone.
Not sure if this will help you but advice is always cheap.
2012 F350 Lariat Crew Cab SB 6.7 - Golden Bronze w/ Pale Adobe two tone. 3.55 w/locker. Lariat Interior Package, Moonroof, Tailgate Step, Snow Plow Prep, 10K GVWR Package, 275/70Rx18", Engine Block Heater, Roof Clearance Lights, Rapid Heat, Upfitter Switches, 5th Wheel/Gooseneck Hitch Prep Package. Received 8/20/2011
BakFlip F1 Tonneau Cover
Line-X Premium
GarageStuffer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2011, 06:05 PM   #11 (permalink)

After a bunch of screwing around and finding other Tracfones that would work, I got a hold of Net10. We tried a bunch of stuff with them and when none of it worked they said, oh, that is the way it is suppose to work. HUH! "I have to answer the handset for Sync to work?" "Yes Sir".

Not believing that, I got a hold of Motorola. After a bunch explaining and did you try this and that, oh, that is the way it is designed. HUH! "You mean I have to answer the handset for the bluetooth to work?" "Yes Sir."

I sorry, but that is just plain stupid! Back home you get fined for playing with your cell phone while driving. I guess I'm in the market for a new phone. Thank you Motorola.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
After a bunch of screwing around and finding other Tracfones that would work, I got a hold of Net10. We tried a bunch of stuff with them and when none of it worked they said, oh, that is the way it is suppose to work. HUH! "I have to answer the handset for Sync to work?" "Yes Sir".

Not believing that, I got a hold of Motorola. After a bunch explaining and did you try this and that, oh, that is the way it is designed. HUH! "You mean I have to answer the handset for the bluetooth to work?" "Yes Sir."

I sorry, but that is just plain stupid! Back home you get fined for playing with your cell phone while driving. I guess I'm in the market for a new phone. Thank you Motorola.
OK, yeah, it is "stupid", and the SYNC system, with its warts and blemishes, really does do a good job as a hands-free cell phone device. Ford SYNC definitely doesn't require you to manually "answer the handset for bluetooth to work". It's a compatibility problem. What I'm still unsure about is if the problem is with the cell network you're with, or with your phone.

I don't tend to jump on the "latest and greatest" cellphone that hits the market - I'm still using the original Droid phone, and it works flawlessly with my 2011 F-350's Sync system. My point would be that you don't have to have the most recent phone - SYNC works fine with devices several years old.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:23 PM   #13 (permalink)

Well this is not the latest and greatest cell phone. It has a camera and bluetooth. It can text and send messages of which I need neither. There is no compatibility problem. This is the way Motorola intended for their bluetooth on this phone to work. Buy American? My next phone will be Asian.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:25 AM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
There is no compatibility problem. This is the way Motorola intended for their bluetooth on this phone to work. Buy American? My next phone will be Asian.
I have to think whoever told you that was mistaken. The whole idea of the Bluetooth Hands-Free Profile (HFP) is that all calling functions can be performed from the external bluetooth device ("car-kit" > Ford Sync), including answering calls. Having to manually handle the phone and answer a call from it when it's paired with a hands-free device does not comply with the Hand-Free Profile specification, and I find it hard to believe that Motorola would do that.

"Hands FreeFrom the specification:
An implementation of the Hands-Free Profile typically enables a headset, or an embedded Hands-Free unit to connect, wirelessly, to a cellular phone for the purposes of acting as the cellular phone’s audio input and output mechanism and allowing typical telephony functions to be performed without access to the actual phone. It is different to the Headset profile in that “the typical telephony functions can be performed without access to the actual phone”.

I tried to find out what bluetooth profiles the Motorola W409G includes, and was unable - the Motorola site I did find wanted your phone's serial number to get that info; I don't have that. But what I did find, that may shed some light on all this, was the following:

"Net10 Bluetooth Phones
Posted in Net10 Review

Net10 Bluetooth Phones are nicer than the regular Net10 phone. The main limitation on the Net10 Bluetooth phone is that Net10 eliminated most of the functions.
You cannot sync and use your Bluetooth with anything but a headset. There have been a couple of people that have gotten their phones to sync with their cars but most of the usability is not there. Even if you get it to work with your car, we could not get the hands free dialing to work. It will not work with my Dell Mini 9 computer. You will not be able to download your phonebook into your computer, you will not be able to download your pictures to your computer. You will be able to sync with most headsets. If you want to talk with a Bluetooth headset, this function seems to work well."

If the above is the case, it may explain your issues with SYNC, and the fix would be to not only look for a different phone, you'd have to look for a different carrier as well.

Last edited by Racklefratz; 12-30-2011 at 12:00 PM.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:41 PM   #15 (permalink)

The Motorola W409g is a Tracfone (Net10) model. I suspect it is built to Tracfone's specs and what you found supports that it is broken by design. Net10 tells me the only phone that has the answering capabilities in this area code is the LG600. That Net10 phone, however, is not supported the Tracfone network in this area. Like that makes any sense. I would like to switch to Tracfone. Now, I'm, like you suggest, looking at other carriers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > '11-Up General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.