Turning off Backup Sensor/Alarm - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > '11-Up General Questions

'11-Up General Questions General questions related to 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2010, 12:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turning off Backup Sensor/Alarm

Is there a way to permanently disable this feature? I couldn't seem to find it in the owners manual - and I thought I had turned it off in the truck in the truck settings - but it came back on. It gets to be a hassle always switching it off when hooking up to the trailer. Plus it seems there is always snow/ice on it this time of year and it's always blaring in my ear.
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2010, 01:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Try pulling the fuse and leaving it out maybe.

Mod List:
-51 gal RDS direct fill auxillary fuel tank
-SEIC High Idle
-H&S Black Maxx Running the Hot Damn +300 Tune
-S&B Dry CAI
-Diamond Eye 5" Turbo Back Race Exhaust
-Custom 10" Sub Box Behind the Center Console
-Coastaltech SYNC-LP1 Lockpick
-Westin Bull Bar
-Westin Taillight Guards
-Recon LED Smoked Dodge Cab Marker/Clearance Lights
-Billet Fender Vent Inserts
-Zone Offroad 4" Lift
-20x10 BMF Novakane 8's
-35x12.50r20 Nitto Trail Grapplers
-'11 Super Duty Rear Seat Cargo Tray w/410W Power Inverter
tvandyck7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2010, 02:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
VTX

Not sure if this is it, but when I put the truck in reverse the info center brings up a screen and looks like it is asking if you want to disable it or not. Try that and see if it works.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

VTX - That screen only disables it for that particular time. I even went into the 'settings' that is similar to that screen...and it only turned it off momentarily. I'm thinking...I might have to pull the fuse!
Old 11-24-2010, 05:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
VTX

Huh, that's sucks. I'll have to play around with it some more. If I figure it out I'll let you know.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Hi ChristineO,

I was looking into your inquiry about the reverse sensing system (RSS) on your vehicle and this is what I found:

You can download/print the 2011 F-250 Owner’s Guide found in the Glovebox section of Official Ford, Lincoln & Mercury Owner Site | Personalized Owner Information | FLMowner.com where this information can be found in the 3rd printing:

To permanently turn off the Rear Sensing System (RSS), first look to the “System check and vehicle feature customization” section starting on page 25:

Press the SETUP button repeatedly to cycle the message center through the following features:

Cycle through until you get to this option (found on page 28):

REAR PARK AID (if equipped)
-This feature sounds a warning tone to warn the driver of obstacles near the rear bumper, and functions only when R (Reverse) gear is selected.
-Press RESET to turn this feature on or off. You can also choose to turn this feature on/off when the vehicle is placed in reverse.

This will make it so you don’t have to keep turning the RSS off each time you go into reverse on your 2011 F-250.

Cory

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordTrucks @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordTrucks facebook.com/Ford
FordService is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2010, 12:02 AM   #7 (permalink)

Can this be done on a 2008 F350 FX4?? I will only have it for about 6 weeks until I get my 2011 but I too live in MN and the backup beep is so annoying. It always comes on due to salt and ice build up. Also, on the 2011's with NAV and back-up camera, does it beep too, or just show the camera on the display? I allways hate when it starts beeping when I am backing up with a trailer. These trucks should be smart enough to turn reverse sensors off when a trailer is hooked up!!
Chrome Package
Lariat Interior Package
Navigation System
Tough bed liner, 5th wheel prep, Tonneau cover

Already ordered: 6k Hid headlights and fogs, 2.5" Aluminum adjustable hitch, 20" XD Monster wheels(Black) with 275/65/20 LTX AT2 Tires, weather tech floor liners, ??? Some other stuff.... not sure what yet!!
tim1010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2010, 02:38 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim1010 View Post
Can this be done on a 2008 F350 FX4?? I will only have it for about 6 weeks until I get my 2011 but I too live in MN and the backup beep is so annoying. It always comes on due to salt and ice build up. Also, on the 2011's with NAV and back-up camera, does it beep too, or just show the camera on the display? I allways hate when it starts beeping when I am backing up with a trailer. These trucks should be smart enough to turn reverse sensors off when a trailer is hooked up!!
The 2011's are "sorta" smart enough to turn it off when hooked to a trailer. When you hook up the electric to a trailer and the truck it in R it ask you if you want to turn off the reverse aid. If you say yes it will stay off until the trailer (wiring harness) is unhooked from the truck so you dont have to turn it off everytime you back up. It even stays off when you shut the truck off and restart it so this only has to be done one time when you hook up to a trailer. Also yes the truck still beeps if you have the rear view camera and reverse aid.
zcellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2010, 02:06 PM   #9 (permalink)

Cory - thanks for the info! I've spent the past few days trying to turn this sensor off. It just won't work. Every time I shut my truck off - it turns back on. And this time of year with the snow/ice, etc that is collecting on my truck, it's horrible!

I did notice that on my steering wheel, the little control wheel/button is a bit different than the one pictured in the owners manual. The middle button says 'O.K' and there is really no 'reset.'

Has anyone else tried to turn off the sensor permanently and had success?

When I back up to my trailer (gooseneck), the tailgate is down and it beeps as well - and shows me a lovely picture of my license plate in the backup cam!
Old 12-02-2010, 08:06 AM   #10 (permalink)

I think the reset occurs by holding down the OK until the reset bar comes completely across the screen.

At least when I reset the MPH meters I have to HOLD the OK button for a period of time to complete the reset. Hope that helps.
2011 Ford F450 Lariat Tuxedo Black
2006 Ford F250 Harley Edition Toreador Red (Favorite Truck)
2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Lamarie SLT Black
2000 Chevy Tahoe LT Black
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Lamarie SLT Red/Silver
1994 Chevy 1500 Z71 Rosewood
1993 Chevy 1500 Stepside Black/Gold fade
Zixxer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2010, 12:21 PM   #11 (permalink)

I concur withe Zixxer. Simply pressing "O.K." does not complete the "reset". You need to hold it until the bar scrolls from left to right. I noticed this when performing some other "reset", I have not tried to disable the RSS.

Olli
Olli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2010, 10:20 AM   #12 (permalink)

Holding the o.k. button does not reset the RSS. I've tried numerous times. There is no bar to scroll across like there is when you reset other functions (like the miles, MPG, etc.). The only option is to move the check mark up or down to the on or off position. You can click O.K., or hold it. The same thing happens. It looks to be off - which it is until you turn your truck off, start it up, and put it into reverse again. Then it's back on. Maybe there is just something funky about my truck that I can't seem to permanently turn it off.

If someone gets a chance, can they try it with their truck and see if they can get it to work?
Old 12-03-2010, 03:32 PM   #13 (permalink)

I will try it tonight, sorry the hints didn't help.
2011 Ford F450 Lariat Tuxedo Black
2006 Ford F250 Harley Edition Toreador Red (Favorite Truck)
2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Lamarie SLT Black
2000 Chevy Tahoe LT Black
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Lamarie SLT Red/Silver
1994 Chevy 1500 Z71 Rosewood
1993 Chevy 1500 Stepside Black/Gold fade
Zixxer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2010, 12:55 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineO View Post
Maybe there is just something funky about my truck that I can't seem to permanently turn it off.
I would say your truck is working normally. That is the way mine works. They made it so that you can turn it off permanently as long as a trailer stays hooked up which makes sense. If you could turn it off permanently without a trailer it would be very easy to forget you had done so and end up backing into something.
Gary
Saskford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2010, 04:47 PM   #15 (permalink)

I guess I'm a bit old school and would rather rely on my own eyes and knowing what is behind me when backing up....rather than on the trucks back up system. So far, the back up system has lied to me more than it hasn't! And that's frustrating. But - gotta love technology. As long as I know I can't turn it off - I'll just get used to it and keep shutting it off.

Thank you to everyone for your hints, tips, and advice!
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > '11-Up General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.