Update Navigation system - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > '11-Up General Questions

'11-Up General Questions General questions related to 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 12:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Update Navigation system

I noticed in the operating manual that you could update your navigation system at an additional cost. Has anyone done this? Where do you get the updates and at what cost? With my Garmin I tried to update every year or so. I believe this is a Navigation system supported by Microsoft, but not sure.

Thanks,
Larry

SOLD: 2001 F250 7.3 PSD Lariat 90,000.
2005 F250 6.0 PSD Lariat 120,000.

528i Bimmer-5 speed
911 Porsche factory wide body
wingfoot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2013, 02:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
It is a little expensive if you ask me at $200
IIRC the 2012 and up have the latest maps
Navigation Maps for your Ford
Old 01-13-2013, 08:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

Wow....what a rip off.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (17)
'A rip-off indeed! I purchased lifetime updates for my 5 year old Garmin for $99.00 and will never have to pay for updates again. I also get email notifications when new updates become available.
Ford should offer its customers something like this at a more reasonable price. For $200.00 I would expect lifetime updates.
2013 F-350 Lariat 6.7 L PSD Crew Cab Dually, FX4, white platinum metalic tri-coat with black interior, N-Fab step bars, factory spray-in bedliner and 5th wheel hitch, trailer tow package, integrated brake controller, upfitter switches, Sync with My Ford Touch, memory group, remote start, reverse sensing with rear view camera, nav, satillite radio, Weather Tech floor mats, limited slip diff, moon roof, climate controlled seats, engine block heater and tailgate step.

2014 Lifestyle (formerly Carriage) 5th wheel 38' long with 3 slides & all the goodies.

SOLD: 2005 F-350 Lariat, 6.0 PSD, Torqueshift auto trans, crew cab, SRW, short box, FX4, ESOF, limited slip dif., tow command, upfitter switches, 6 CD changer, Lariat Lux. package, camper package, engine block heater, triple A-pillar gauge set (Autometer) with pyrometer, trans temp & voltmeter, MBRP 4" cat back exhaust w/5" dual wall chrome tip, dark shadow gray/ med. flint interior.
wpetko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 09:07 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (22)
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Bob Maxey
If you have the A4 Navigation card you have the latest in the 2013 model on My ford Touch.

FORD TRUCK SALES

517-338-0238 direct line
517-546-5642 fax
spratt@bobmaxey.com email.

CONTACT ME DIRECTLY FOR ALL SUPERDUTY SALES.

BOB MAXEY FORD OF HOWELL
2798 GRAND RIVER
HOWELL, MI 48843

BDS LIFT KITS AVAILABLE INSTALLED.

2015'S IN STOCK !!!

BLOW OUT PRICING ON 2014 INSTOCK TRUCKS NEED TO MAKE ROOM FOR THE 2015's

PLACING ORDERS FOR 2015 SUPER DUTYS.
MANY INSTOCK Selling at Invoice

2014 Duallys in stock Huge selection,
Largest Selection Around.

I stock lots of F-250's, F-350's and F-450's.
Need a truck give me a call today.

X AND A/Z Plans accepted.

www.bobmaxeyhowell.com
Bob Maxey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 09:36 AM   #6 (permalink)

Way overpriced and as far as I know it is a Garmin engine.

At the current Ford price the truck will be long gone before I update it.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:07 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by porthole View Post
Way overpriced and as far as I know it is a Garmin engine.

At the current Ford price the truck will be long gone before I update it.
It's garmin engine and looks like navteq maps, it asks for some unique number from your nav system info screen, at checkout, id be curious to know how this works, anyone do the update on their 2011 yet?
performanceisland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 10:42 AM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
There are roads in my area that garmin and google see but in my 12 it doesnt makes so sense to me.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:08 AM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Ford's Nav update site

Here is a screen shot of Ford's update site...Looks like those of us that have 2012's are up to date...2011's and earlier, are not...

Update Navigation system-screen-shot-2013-01-14-10.59.01-am.jpg

Update Navigation system-screen-shot-2013-01-14-10.59.28-am.jpg

SOLD: 2001 F250 7.3 PSD Lariat 90,000.
2005 F250 6.0 PSD Lariat 120,000.

528i Bimmer-5 speed
911 Porsche factory wide body
wingfoot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 11:26 AM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingfoot View Post
Here is a screen shot of Ford's update site...Looks like those of us that have 2012's are up to date...2011's and earlier, are not...

Attachment 15976

Attachment 15977

How often do they update their maps cause there are times I have to use google to get places cause the maps in the truck don't see it.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:27 AM   #11 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

Was talking the other day to a service manger about my Wife's Explorer and he told me that Ford was stopping using a 3rd party vendor and going straight to the source and the price for updates would be getting cheaper, but not sure if the above is the cheaper price. She has the Sony Based System which I think is the same as the 2013 SD. We have had a few problems with the sync and nav stuff. Since we purchased it had two major updates.
2012 F250 Lariat 6.7 Golden Bronze 4X4, MBRP Filter Back Duals, Alpine INE-Z928HD, Focal Amp and Speakers and a ton of Dyno Mat, RetraxPro, Clifford Alarm Recon smoked marker/clearance lights, HID Headlights, Rigid D2 Driving Lights (in fog location), Bilstein 5160 shocks,Hellwig Big Wig Sway Bar, Pro Comp 2 Inch Nitro Leveling Kit, Fuel 22" Maverick Wheels , Nitto 325/50R22 Terra Grappler, Westin Bull Bar

Protected by H&KUSP and friends

2006 Hummer H2 (traded for diesel hope never to go back to the dark side (gas)
2005 F250SD SB 4X4 6.0 Harley Edition (traded)
2003 7.3 F350 DRW 4X4 (traded)
2001 7.3 F250 4X4 (traded)
Steve Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 11:45 AM   #12 (permalink)

Updates - with the millions of vehicles that have the NAV how many are actually updating at $200 a pop?
Very few I would think.

How many would update if the fee was reasonable, like $25?

With my Garmin portable GPS I did one update at the required $99. Very disappointed in what was actually received. My experience has shown that most of the updates have more to do with POI's then map detail.
My best guess is that it takes about 10 years for new streets to show up on mapping software.

I stopped doing the updates with Garmin until they offered the lifetime deal for $89. Although I do use that, I do not do every update that comes out, seems to cause more issues then it solves when it comes to routing.

You need the exact same map version on the PC and unit for routing otherwise it tends to choke.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:59 AM   #13 (permalink)

For $200 an update I think I'll pass and use my phone if the truck nav can't get me to where I need to go. I wish they would just offer the updated poi lists for a cheaper rate. I mostly go to remote areas anyways but would be nice to know of the nearby restaurants. But the phone can cover that also if u can get signal.
hollnagelc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 04:06 PM   #14 (permalink)

Interesting thread, Iím new to the in dash NAV! I have been making customized maps to use on Garmins for sometime because I just hated paying for updates and just bought a 2013 Ford Edge for the wife with NAV ($700) because she just hates my Garmins stuck all over the windshield. I also have ordered a 2013 F350 with NAV. Although I didnít expect the Ford NAV system to be up to par with a company that just makes GPS devices, I assumed that there would be some way to personalize a Ford NAV system, but then I just havenít had a chance?
What I did ask the salesman ďDo I have to pay for NAV updatesĒ and he said that as long as the vehicle was under warranty, they were free. And that some of his previous customers have customized the maps on theirs. I did see a Youtube video about adding custom maps and POIs, but just didnít pay too much attention till my new truck was in the driveway. With the Ford Edge during the walk around I noticed that the Dealer just picked a NAV chip off the shelve and showed me how to install it, my concerns is what is going to stop someone from stealing my $200 NAV chip if it can be used on any Ford NAV system? Or go on online or go to a Scrap Yard and buy one cheap?
Sorry about the length, just bored waiting for my new truck, but like other posters, Iím not going to pay for updates that have road changes and POI in places that are miles away that I wonít be going to or when the updates donít have the changes in my area to major highways two years old, when my phone or Gamin can be updated in real time.
MPD56 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 04:13 PM   #15 (permalink)

It might be different in CA. but I don't think the updates are free in USA. I tried on my F150 and I know other people have tried at different dealers and we all got denied.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > '11-Up General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.