The Diesel Stop banner

Upgrading from 6.9L F350

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Jerry Heep 
#1 ·
I’m about to replace my old 87 F350 6.9L truck for a 2015 F350 6.7L crew cab. We’ll be using it to tow a fifth wheel RV. The new truck has 34K miles on it. The 3 year/36 K mile warranty is still active (for 2K miles!) It has the Platinum package inside and is a single owner truck out of Houston, Texas.

Since this is a big update for me, I’d like some experienced comments/advise about what to look for / test on this new truck. Compared to the all mechanical 6.9L, how does the 6.7L match up? 400HP sounds pretty good. It is NOT a dually, but the 4WD/AWD worries me. That is a lot of extra stuff that can fail. I doubt I’ll ever use the front drive wheels.

I’m an experienced diesel wrench. I’ve replaced the cam and lifters on the 87 and installed a Banks turbo. But this new truck uses computers, where my old truck would happily drive through the EMP generated by a nuke without a hiccup. Aside from oil changes and other maintenance, can I park this truck under my shade tree and replace the water pump? Is the fuel pump in the fuel tank?

Your comments are welcome.

#2 ·
2015-2016 trucks are a bit better in my mind for the improvements since 2011. There are two pumps, a "lift" pump on the frame rail that feeds the high pressure pump under the hood. Depending on the weight of the 5r you can do just fine with the '15 SRW. 4wd isn't really an issue with you doing minimal usage once a month or so. If you are willing to take on the learning aspect of owning a newer diesel there isn't anything (short of computer updates to modules) you can't do.

My $.02: Have the dealer make sure the DPF% screen is activated on the dash display. Then require them let you drive the truck till it starts the regeneration process. This will allow you to see/feel how the motor is running when in the regeneration mode. People have reported a running condition "jack hammering valves" which can be problematic if you are OCD. I'd suggest if you experience this you have two options: find another truck or dig into getting the full aftermarket deletes to include a tuner. There are PLENTY of diesel shops in FWTX that can get your truck ready to go for anything you need in stock form or if you go with the mods.

The fuel system can be a bit finicky as well. Fuel filter replacements must be done correctly or else the air in the system causes the system to whine. Until it's purged properly it just sounds like there is a problem. Using poor quality fuel can have a minor to catastrophic result on the fuel system. Ford will not warranty any fuel issues if they pull a sample and it shows contamination.

Modern diesel technology is here, it's not going anywhere. Love it, hate it. It's not as bad when you get a firm understanding of what you are getting into. We are here to help.

Reactions: larrgh
#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Well, we did it. The used dealer really wanted to get this truck of his lot. He made it a Ford Certified Pre-owned. This jacked up the warranty to 7 years, 100K miles. We added a few bucks and upgraded to a bumper to bumper. He also threw in a fifth-wheel! As for working on it under my shade tree. I guess I'll have to wait until the warranty runs out. until then, the dealer has to service it.

Reactions: HeavyAssault
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.