The Diesel Stop banner

What is the Ford tire pressure sensor set to?

20K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  klhansen 
#1 ·
I notice that the dealer set the tires to 70 psi all the way around. I decided that when I'm running around unloaded, that's too much.

Based on some load charts, it seems like I should be setting maybe 45 up front and 35 in the back. I started at 55 all the way around, and now it's fussing about low pressure.

#2 ·
2015 f350 long bed, ranch hand bumpers front and back, with a warn 16.5ti up front. It just seems like the dealer tire pressure settings are way too high.

#3 ·
Loaded it should be set to the numbers on the door sticker.

My 2013 F350's SRW sticker states 65 psi in the front and 80 psi in the back. I had the dealer set the tires TPMS to 65 psi all around so that when I'm not towing my tires are at 65 psi cold. Usually the TPMS will alarm at 25% below the setpoint. In my case it is around 50 psi.

#4 ·
Thanks, yes, I realize when loaded that it should be at what it says on the door (65/80 for mine a well).

I'll decide what I want to have it set to, and get the dealer to set that value.

Thanks!

#5 ·
Look up chalking tires.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

#6 ·
With my cars, I always just would drive through a puddle, and see what the tread pattern looked like. I'll look up chalking them.

#7 ·
You're doing it right with load/inflation tables. Every brand is the same for the same tire size. I've found a Toyo chart that's useful.
Weighing each axle then referring to the L/I tables is the way to go.

#10 ·
True, but you need to find a starting point, which the load/inflation tables give you, or you'll use up all your chalk.:winking:

#9 ·
MSCOTT - You're in the right ballpark with the 45/35 settings. I had my truck weighed at the local feed mill, and set the pressures around the same settings based on the load/inflation charts. What I found though, was 45 psi all around was better for handling and wear. Good luck trying to get a dealer to set the TPMS system that low - most still remember the Ford/Firestone debacle and follow the Ford corporate guideline, which are for max load. :icon_mad:

#11 ·
I didn't have any luck getting the dealer to lower the TPMS thresholds in the computer for me even with an inflation chart in hand.

It is my understanding that the threshold for the TPMS sensors is set at 75% of the recommended 65 psi front and 80 psi rear pressures (F-350). I like to run my rears lower than my fronts when unloaded so I retrained the system and told it that the fronts were in the rear and the rears in the front. I aired down to 80% of recommended which puts me at 64 psi for the front tires and 52 psi for the rears.

This is the inflation chart for the stock Michelin A/T tires.

#12 ·
Hey doczenith1:

FYI:

You can use a free window's program called FORScan with your OBDII bluetooth adapter and change the pressure settings yourself. You might be able to enable OCR, the SOOT% dash screen an other options while your at it.

#13 ·
Thanks for the heads-up. Now I just have to find a friend with a laptop that has BT :smile2:

My next question would be is the pressure that we are setting the recommended pressure or the pressure at which the dash light comes on?

#14 ·
I have always set my pressures at 65psi when not towing my 5th wheel in the winter months. It is the recommended minimum on the door sticker for the front tires and the rears end is lighter. Even with the hitch weight of my sled trailer.

#16 ·
Load inflation tables is the way to go.
Not what the door sticker says.

Glad I have a dually. No TPMS.
I run 34psi in my rears when I'm unloaded.
58psi when I am loaded.
I got 74k out of my last set of rear tires by following this philosophy.

#17 ·
My TPMS light came on a few days ago. Per the Torque app my rears were at 50 (77% of 65) and fronts were at 59 (74% of 80) so that would line up with the threshold being 75%. When the thermometer gets above 30 degrees next week I'll air up the front and see if the light goes off.

#18 ·
My vote is front also.

#19 · (Edited)
Are you switching back and rear tires on the truck to change the TPMS rating?
Mine is 65/65. I had it at 60/55 and after this cold front the "low tire" warning came on. Doesn't tell you what tire though.

#20 ·
When you air the tires up you will have to get ALL of them to the door label pressure to clear light. TPMS light clearing reset pressure is not just the acceptable pressure range w/o warning but is the "ideal" pressure as listed on door post label.

#21 ·
Well we may disagree on 65psi being the "ideal" range.
I think it is 10-15lbs too much unloaded.

#22 ·
That is why ideal is in quotes. That is the pressure on the label which is the pressure the system needs to see in all tires before it will extinguish the light.

#23 ·
#27 ·
As mentioned above I run 64 psi for the front tires and 52 psi for the rears which is the lowest I can run without setting off the TPMS light. I have not noticed any unusual tire wear. My rear tires do tend to wear faster than my front tires as I have the same problematic right foot as you do :)

#28 ·
I run about 35 psi rear and 45 psi front when unloaded and get pretty even wear. The rears wear nice and flat (I have more wear on back than front, also being afflicted with LFD), and the fronts wear just a touch more on the outside due to the steering effect. I don't like TPMS for trucks, and glad I don't have that crybaby system on my truck.

Reminds me of when I rented a car once and noticed the tire alarm going off on the dash. It was a mini-van and when I checked the tire pressures, I found that the LF was overinflated by 10 psi over the tire max rating, and the others were scattered all over a bit below normal. The TPMS did notify me of a potentially dangerous situation in that instance, but generally it's just a nuisance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.