What are hydroboost brakes? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > '11-Up General Questions

'11-Up General Questions General questions related to 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2010, 07:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What are hydroboost brakes?

I see that some of the F-250 come with vacuum brakes and the F350 450 get hydroboost brakes. I am not sure what the hydroboost brakes are. My current truck derives its power brakes from a vacuum assist which is taken off of the power steering pump. I don't see any other way for it to work on a diesel since there is no manifold vacuum. Have they improved this system? - my current truck is perpetual PITA with loss of powersteering assist when parking if your foot is on the brake - it is improved somewhat when I put in a new powersteering pump unit but it eventually seems to get weak again. So is there something new that I don't know about or is it the same old system??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2010, 08:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

Your truck has hydroboost. The new systems use a vacuum pump for its vacuum
first_ford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2010, 08:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)
Quote:
My current truck derives its power brakes from a vacuum assist which is taken off of the power steering pump.
No, your '99.5 Ford diesel uses hydraulic assist which is taken off the hydraulic pump, which some folks mistakenly call the power steering pump. IOW, your truck has hydroboost power brakes. But you're right, diesel engines don't make vacuum so your '99.5 also has a small vacuum pump to make the vacuum power needed for the HVAC doors and other vacuum-powered systems, such as ESOF if you have it. But the small vacuum pump is not big enough to also create enough vacuum to operate vacuum power brakes.

The new trucks with vacuum power brakes have a much bigger vacuum pump than your truck. And they have a smaller hydraulic pump that supplies only the power steering, so it's okay to call it the power steering pump.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2010, 10:51 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
The new trucks with vacuum power brakes have a much bigger vacuum pump than your truck. And they have a smaller hydraulic pump that supplies only the power steering, so it's okay to call it the power steering pump.
...which basically puts things back where they were on the OBS diesel trucks, right? My '97 has a separate power steering pump and vacuum pump (though admittedly there's a small branch line from the vacuum pump that goes to the HVAC doors and such, while I bet the new trucks retain the itty bitty electric pump for this?)

Duncan
The 6.0L Bible: Web page
The 6.4L Bible: Web page
frobozz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > '11-Up General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.