Fifth Wheel Prep Package - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > '11-Up Ordering Information

'11-Up Ordering Information Discussion of ordering and status of an order of a Super Duty truck. All engine types allowed.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2011, 01:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 20
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Fifth Wheel Prep Package

I have been considering ordering a new F350, SC, 6-3/4 box for some time. I built the truck the way I wanted it on the Ford web site and printed the info. Today I went to my local dealer with my printout to place an order. When placing the order on the dealer's computer, it would not allow the fifth wheel prep for a 6-3/4 box. I told the dealer that the Ford site allowed it (as shown on my printout) and that I had read on Diesel Stop that it was now being allowed on the short box trucks. He called the Ford regional rep who confirmed that it was not allowed. Can someone please tell me what is the correct information on this?
ElkMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-22-2011, 04:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
 
SmokeyWren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Midland County,TX, USA
Posts: 18,804
My Photos: (44)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The final authority is the Ford new vehicle ordering system in the dealer's computer. The 2012 order guide says it's available (and has been available since Job 2 of the 2011 model year), but if the vehicle ordering system won't allow it, there is no higher authority to appeal to.

Maybe that's an opportunity. You really need a long bed, so stop with that city dude stuff and get a real pickup - the one with the 8' bed.
__________________

My Sierra Blanca in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it a coupla years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2011, 04:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
mmomega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mansfield, TX
Posts: 268
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Personally if I hadn't bought a truck with the 5th wheel prep in it I would have gone with the BW turnover ball + companion. Cheaper in the end and only 1 hole in the bed.
__________________
2011 F350 CC DRW FX4 Tuxedo Black on Black
2011 Heartland Landmark Key Largo 5'r
2007 F350 CC SRW FX4 Outlaw Lariat "Johnny Cash" Edition Black on Black
2008 Mercedes GL450 Loaded (Wifes Car) Black
mmomega is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2011, 06:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 20
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Smile

Thanks for the info. It seems that the online price and build program just doesn't agree with the dealer program for the fifth wheel prep package. I think I will move on and order my truck without it. My current need is for the gooseneck hitch to pull an equipment trailer. Dealer recommends the B&W as do many others on this site so I plan to go with that brand. Does the B&W gooseneck setup allow for a fifth wheel hitch to be added later?
ElkMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2011, 06:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Bull73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Montana
Posts: 23
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkMan View Post
Thanks for the info. It seems that the online price and build program just doesn't agree with the dealer program for the fifth wheel prep package. I think I will move on and order my truck without it. My current need is for the gooseneck hitch to pull an equipment trailer. Dealer recommends the B&W as do many others on this site so I plan to go with that brand. Does the B&W gooseneck setup allow for a fifth wheel hitch to be added later?

Yes you can get the B&W with a compainon hitch
__________________
2011 6.7 Lariat, CC, LWB, FX4, 3.73 gears, and 20 inch rims. Dark Pearl Blue, with the Grey at the bottom. 5th wheel prep, with the ford removeable ball. Xtreme spray in bed liner, Access roll up bed cover, and I also have ordered a Buckstop bumper, that will be painted two toned to match the truck, along with housing 2 - 6" and 2 - 4" PIAA lights.
Bull73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2011, 07:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Woodstock, GA
Posts: 102
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is that bed going to be long enough? The long bed will allow you to turn the truck and trailer with no issues. I'm pretty sure the 6 3/4 bed will require you to unlock the trailer when you need to turn sharp otherwise the camper will hit the cab. The other option would be to get a super glide hitch. I don't know a whole lot about this but these are questions I asked recently.

Hope that helps.
__________________
2006 F250 Lariat CC
Stock motor.
Bulletproof Diesel EGR Cooler
Bulletproof Oil Cooler
Coolant filter
amsoil by pass oil filter system
fomoto valve
Drain plug upgrade
EDGE Insight CS gauges
Synister diesel fuel pressure adapter hose
Glow shift fuel pressure gauge
garylahr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2011, 08:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
mmomega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mansfield, TX
Posts: 268
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have the largest Superglide made (24k) and while it is a great hitch and if you have money to blow then I'd say go for it.
When we bought our hitch the underbed kit was damn near $1000 and the hitch was just shy of 2000.
You also have to have an adaptor plate to make the hitch work and keep in mind this thing (the hitch) is over 300 lbs.

I'll also say that I have never been in a situation where that hitch saved me from hitting the cab. The last two fifth wheels I've had have been "carved out" or curved to allow 88 deg turns in a shortbed truck. By the time you get to 88 deg I'd be more worried about stressing those axles and tires than tapping the cab, again I've just never been in a situation where I need to turn that sharp.

My buddy has a BW and goes everywhere I do with my trailer and has never had a close call like hitting the cab. No problems in traffic, I don't believe it's that big of a deal and we've tow in and around Dallas traffic quite a bit and anyone that lives around here knows it gets pretty bad.

Personally... I believe the B&W will do everything you need it to. + having the gooseneck option is nice for those that need it.
__________________
2011 F350 CC DRW FX4 Tuxedo Black on Black
2011 Heartland Landmark Key Largo 5'r
2007 F350 CC SRW FX4 Outlaw Lariat "Johnny Cash" Edition Black on Black
2008 Mercedes GL450 Loaded (Wifes Car) Black
mmomega is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2011, 08:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Woodstock, GA
Posts: 102
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmomega View Post
I have the largest Superglide made (24k) and while it is a great hitch and if you have money to blow then I'd say go for it.
When we bought our hitch the underbed kit was damn near $1000 and the hitch was just shy of 2000.
You also have to have an adaptor plate to make the hitch work and keep in mind this thing (the hitch) is over 300 lbs.

I'll also say that I have never been in a situation where that hitch saved me from hitting the cab. The last two fifth wheels I've had have been "carved out" or curved to allow 88 deg turns in a shortbed truck. By the time you get to 88 deg I'd be more worried about stressing those axles and tires than tapping the cab, again I've just never been in a situation where I need to turn that sharp.

My buddy has a BW and goes everywhere I do with my trailer and has never had a close call like hitting the cab. No problems in traffic, I don't believe it's that big of a deal and we've tow in and around Dallas traffic quite a bit and anyone that lives around herr knows it gets pretty bad.

Personally... I believe the B&W will do everything you need it to. + having the gooseneck option is nice for those that need it.
Sorry for my ignorance...what is B&W?
__________________
2006 F250 Lariat CC
Stock motor.
Bulletproof Diesel EGR Cooler
Bulletproof Oil Cooler
Coolant filter
amsoil by pass oil filter system
fomoto valve
Drain plug upgrade
EDGE Insight CS gauges
Synister diesel fuel pressure adapter hose
Glow shift fuel pressure gauge
garylahr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2011, 09:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
 
SmokeyWren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Midland County,TX, USA
Posts: 18,804
My Photos: (44)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by garylahr View Post
Sorry for my ignorance...what is B&W?

B&W Turnover Ball gooseneck hitch, plus B&W Companion fifth-wheel hitch that fits into the same hole in the bed as the Turnover Ball.
B & W Trailer Hitches
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2011, 12:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 31
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkMan View Post
I have been considering ordering a new F350, SC, 6-3/4 box for some time. I built the truck the way I wanted it on the Ford web site and printed the info. Today I went to my local dealer with my printout to place an order. When placing the order on the dealer's computer, it would not allow the fifth wheel prep for a 6-3/4 box. I told the dealer that the Ford site allowed it (as shown on my printout) and that I had read on Diesel Stop that it was now being allowed on the short box trucks. He called the Ford regional rep who confirmed that it was not allowed. Can someone please tell me what is the correct information on this?

I have the prep package on my late build, 2011 short box. If you still want to go with the factory prep package, make sure that the dealer was selecting the prep package and not the complete hitch system when making up the order. On the 2011, you could get the prep package, but not the complete Ford hitch (i.e. the under-rail mounts and the actual hitch head).

Brian
Hooked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > '11-Up Ordering Information

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



Wheel & Tire Center

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:51 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.