The Diesel Stop banner

Order code 16P: Premium Floor Covering

10K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  Phillippeterson 
#1 ·
"Premium Floor Covering – Vinyl (incl. allweather Floor Mats and carpeted floor mats)"

Option on KR, Platinum. What is this? Is it basically carpet delete?

#2 ·
Good question. I'll have the answer in about two weeks as I ordered that option on my 2017 F350 KR due at dealer w/o 11/7/16. I expect the normal 'built-in' carpets will be in place and rubber/vinyl mats will be in the foot wells, front and rear. What I assume will not be with the truck is the normal removable carpeted mats. I've ordered a set of WeatherTech floor liners as a hedge!

#3 ·
Everywhere that would normally have carpeting installed is vinyl instead. Here's a screen shot of a picture of it on Fords web site. I have seen a KR with it and the fit and finish doesn't look great. Furthermore the vinyl has texturing too it that will trap dirt even when you wash it. I stuck with the carpeted floors on mine and I have Cocoa colored WeatherTech floor mats coming.

Attachments

#4 ·
Thanks, whypage, based on your picture found a larger one.

Yeah, this is interesting, but I don't want it in my truck. :)

Attachments

#5 ·
Feel My Pain re Option 16P

Manowell,

After seeing your post and the previous one on this subject I realized I (me and my salesman) had made a big mistake ordering these "Premium Floor Coverings". My $80K MSRP King Ranch is going to have vinyl (like a commercial truck or tractor) instead of carpet on the entire floor surface!! OH $#!+. My truck was built last week and should be at the dealer in about a week. I went over to the dealer today and shared the info from these DeiselStop posts with the salesman. We got the Parts Mgr and all concluded we can fix this but we'll have to order the carpet set that would otherwise have come with the KR interior, remove the seats (front and back) and probably the door sill covers to do the job right. I wish the Ford ordering info was clearer on this option. Frankly, who would put such floor coverings in a KR or Platinum? Very few, I expect...especially once they realize what they are/will look like.
So I guess I end up with some extra floor coverings and footwell mats!

#6 ·
Out of curiosity did you do a build and price on Ford's website and just not come across the pictures? Or perhaps you ordered based on dealer info ? All of the dealers I have talked to have no clue about the options on these trucks. I drove three hours round trip to see a KR in Massachusetts that had the premium vinyl and decided I def did not want it. No one has platinums or KRs in stock in any quantity to check out these features.

#7 ·
I realize your question was to the OP, but my two cents:

I was working from the build guide, I feels it's way more comprehensive than the Ford website "build it" page. In this case, the picture (which is what was needed) was there, large and clear, but many other pictures and explanations are thin. I've asked three dealerships in the area what this option was, not a single one had any clue and only one was willing to take five minutes to look. They just read back the description from the order guide.

#8 ·
How I Came to Ordering Option 16P on My KR

It seems inconceivable with 20/20 hindsight but I (nor did the salesman) did not have any sense this option would result in vinyl 'carpets' in my $80K MSRP King Ranch! When the order was placed in August, either the pictures you mention were not on the Ford build and price webpage or I didn't know the pic was there. The picture I've seen more recently still isn't clear. Now knowing what this option actually represents, no salesman should let a customer order this option without full knowledge of what it is cosmetically and only then for trucks that are used for full time work site activities. This flooring belongs in low end XL models that are work trucks...it is a commercial truck floor covering. Just my opinion.:frown2:

#9 ·
I hope your dealer can get this taken care of for you. I am quite surprised, but based on your dealer experience and mine, it seems like Ford didn't do much if any training for their dealer sales people to train them on these new trucks. They should certainly know these options stone cold. There are ton's of videos on YouTube about these trucks so even if Ford didn't train them they could have been proactive and gone out to learn them on their own.

#10 ·
It's been my experience over the last 60 years that the least knowledgeable person for ANY product is the person selling it. When ordering any option on a vehicle, I'm going to see it and try it before I decide to include it. Try finding the high back bucket seats in a 2001 Super Duty! Eleven dealers later I finally saw them in a cutaway van chassis at a fleet dealer. None of the sales people I asked even knew what these seats were.

#11 ·
I ordered the carpet delete in my Lariat, and this is the first time I think that you can do that in a high end truck. I was going to get a KR but the lack of the bench seat option was the reason I went with a lariat trim. My sales person knew what this meant and asked me about 5 times that I was sure that I did not want carpet in my truck. I don't see a lot of people ordering this option but I think that it is awesome that for now lets us do tis in a fully loaded truck. the best part is i got a $50 credit for removing the carpet on my tuck also. The truck is due in later this month and I will post pics of no carpet when I can. For the OP I hope that you can work out a deal with your seeing dealer to get hat you want, but I think I would give the vinyl a try before removing it, to me its so nice to remove mud and first with a rag and vacuum. I do use my truck for a lot of dirty things and also am a avid dirt bike rider so there is often 3-4 guys in the the truck with muddy boots.
-Jeff

#12 ·
Cheers to you sbportech. I thought I was the only weirdo who wanted a high end truck without carpet. And I want the bench seat. You and I might be the only two with a bench seat non-carpet Lariat.

The carpet really never made sense to me. You used to could order no carpet about twenty years ago - which I did. I, too, want things like a nice radio, good headlights, Sirius, and other high end things which only come on Lariat or higher. But carpet makes no sense for me. I use my truck for things besides grocery getting. I live in Texas so I get dust and cow poop and mud on my boots. Carpet can never be as clean as the day you bought it. But vinyl can be wiped with a wet rag and vacuumed and it is like the day it arrived.

And I love to have my wife or beautiful kids and grandkids sitting next to me on the bench seat. There's still enough room in the fold down armrest to store too much crap. I don't need, or want, the center console that fills with who knows what never to be seen again.

Thank goodness there's both options for those who want something different than me (and you).

#13 ·
I also like the bench seat, I had to look all over the country and found only 1 on this side of the rockies that was a white lariat, with bench seat , and tan interior, apparantly bench seat and tan interior is very hard to come by!

#15 ·
I hear those on the site who want a bench seat and commercial/work truck rubber/vinyl flooring. But my $80K King Ranch spends it's life as my Vermont country gentleman farmer's ride. The heaviest mess it is ever in is snow in the winter and mud on the gravel roads in the spring. I use WeatherTech floor liners to keep the carpets clean. The only information I had when ordering was "Premium Floor Covering". The salesman never said a word though this is the third fully loaded King Ranch he's sold me. He was obviously unaware of what this was and was simply not paying attention.
The truck showed up at the dealer today and I went down to check it out. I almost threw up when I saw the rubber 'carpeting'! I'm not taking delivery until they change it out with the carpeting that should be there just like the last two KRs I ordered. The correct carpeting was ordered today by the Parts Dept but only after they insisted I pay for it before they would order it. That's going to be about $900 and they want me to pay for the installation labor as well (another $500 they say). When I add in the $115 I paid for the option, this is going to cost me about $1,500 to get corrected. I may simply take the carpeting to another dealer or body shop to have it installed. My relationship with this dealer is over including all future service on the new KR and two other Ford vehicles in the household also purchased from this dealer.
The lack of product knowledge and awareness of customer planned use and interests is stunning for an organization selling $80K products to the public. Somehow I don't think I'll be receiving a customer satisfaction survey from this dealer or Ford. It seems to me Ford should be looking more closely at the product training they provide their dealer sales force.

#18 ·
Lucky us. We ordered a F350 DRW, yesterday. When the dealer kept selecting the all weather mats, that premium floor covering was always added by the computer software. Based on this thread we passed on the all weather mats as neither the dealer nor I was sure if it was the vinyl floor covering or not. Seems we may have dodged the vinyl as we're getting a "country gentleman" truck, too. David

#19 ·
Davydee,

I think you'll be glad you passed on the "Premium Floor Covering", option 16P. I finally took delivery on my F350 KR on Wednesday. It had been at the dealer for a week and one half. They changed out the vinyl floor coverings and put in the real carpeting. It makes a huge difference. But it did cost me over $1K to get it done at the dealer. Having now seen the vinyl floor, I understand why some who use the truck primarily as a dirty work site vehicle may want it. But you can accomplish 90% of that protection by simply putting a set of front and rear WeatherTech floor liners over a carpeted floor.
I hope the Ford SuperDuty sales force at dealerships is taking note and making sure they, and the buyer across the desk, are fully aware of the trade off they're making when selecting this option.
Otherwise the truck is great with all of 300 miles now driven!

VermontWayne

#20 ·
You could probably sell the removed flooring if you want to. Plenty people would want to swap you at some point. I do agree with you about the ordering process but I have learned to do my own research and know what I want on my truck. I've had plenty a salespeople ask me "Why do you want .....?", I simply tell them it's what I want.

#21 · (Edited)
Getting the carpet delete on a King Ranch is awesome! I've done that in the past on a Super Duty and loved the vinyl floor. Last time I tried to order Vinyl floor they said it wasn't an option. SUPER glad it's an option again. Going to get a KR and it will have Vinyl floors for sure. Sorry to hear your salesman didn't know what it was. Good luck!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.