Package 618A and Nav Sys - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > '11-Up Ordering Information

'11-Up Ordering Information Discussion of ordering and status of an order of a Super Duty truck. All engine types allowed.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2010, 11:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Package 618A and Nav Sys

I ordered my truck with the standard Lariet package, 618A. I did NOT order the Navigation unit

I am now having second throughts. I doubt I can change the order but is it worth it to order with the 618A or was it better to go with the premiun larit package
Superduty123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2010, 08:46 AM   #2 (permalink)

Do you have a need for the Nav. package or is just something neat to have? An after market one is eaier to replace and can be taken out and use in other vehicles. I am not a fan of Nav systems, I know where I'm going.....most of the time.
georider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2010, 12:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

I like having the Nav when I am going somewhere new. I have a factory Nav in the car I drive, and a tom tom that I was using in my 07 6.0L that I sold.

I didn't want to pay the $2K for the Nav when I ordered the truck, I am just wondering if that was a mistake.

The tom tom does a go job, just a PIA when it falls off the windshield when you hit a sizable bump
Superduty123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2010, 03:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superduty123 View Post
I ordered my truck with the standard Lariet package, 618A. I did NOT order the Navigation unit

I am now having second throughts. I doubt I can change the order but is it worth it to order with the 618A or was it better to go with the premiun larit package
618A just means you ordered an F-350 SRW with Lariat trim. You could order the navigation system (order code 58N) with the Lariat trim, or you could order the Lariat Ultimate Pkg (Order code 96U) which includes the navigation system.

On my cars I had a similar choice. I had a 2005 Odyssey with factory navigation system, and my pickup had a portable TomTom. The TomTom does the same thing as the Honda system, for 20 percent of the cost. So when I traded the 2005 Odyssey for a 2009, I got the identical van but without the navigation system, and saved $2500 MSRP.

The navigation system is nice when trying to find an address in an unfamiliar neighborhood or city. I found my neice near Vancouver WA, my friend near Seattle, and my wife's granddaughter in southwest Idaho. But the TomTom will find it just as good as the factory nav systems. The big difference is the size of the display screen. The factory nav's bigger screen is worth something, but not $2000.

My Sierra Blanca in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it a coupla years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2010, 04:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Dak

My Photos: (1)
Here is my .02. I like the factory NAV units. Mainly because there are always there and on, ready for you when/if you need them. Yes, most of the time I know where I am going, so I don't really use it around my house.

I also like the better radio display, but then again I am a techie.

I have a portable unit as well and yes they do work the same as the factory nav... I bring that for the times you need to rent a car.

As far as worth the $2k+ premium, That is a little tougher to answer. Does anyone think a diesel truck should MSRP at over $60k?
Old 11-26-2010, 10:23 AM   #6 (permalink)

Here is one someone may be able to answer for me: what about updates? does the factory nav get automatically updated regarding road changes, etc? Recently while out with my Garmin which is fairly new I ran into a little bind with a re-constructed interstate approach.
lee2011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2010, 10:54 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee2011 View Post
Here is one someone may be able to answer for me: what about updates? does the factory nav get automatically updated regarding road changes, etc? Recently while out with my Garmin which is fairly new I ran into a little bind with a re-constructed interstate approach.
Updates, available once a year for $199.
SOLD -2000 F-350 SRW, ORDERED 8/22/99, Built & released from Manufacturing 10/2/99/, At dealer 10/19/99, Picked up 10/22/99, 2000 F-350, CC, SRW, LWB, PSD, 6sp, Power-T-Mirrors - 54E, 4x4, Camper Setup, TT, Island Blue, Steps, CD, P-Glass, Manual 4WD Shift/Hubs, Warranty Voiding CUPHOLDER (saved a lot of money on ESP)
SOLD - 1991 SRW F350 7.3
SOLD - 1987 SRW F250 460 Gas
Y2KPSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2010, 07:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Dak

My Photos: (1)
Y2KPSD - Is that for the new ones? I thought they were sat. updated like all the other manufactures are now? I still need to read the Nav supplment - haven't had a chance since I got it and we immediately went on vacation.

(I know this was the case with the older units - )
Old 11-27-2010, 09:56 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dak View Post
Y2KPSD - Is that for the new ones? I thought they were sat. updated like all the other manufactures are now? I still need to read the Nav supplment - haven't had a chance since I got it and we immediately went on vacation.

(I know this was the case with the older units - )

I think your right DAK. I heard that the satalite based navs are updated automaticly. Maybe not if you don't get the monthly subscription to travel link.. I think updates are part of your montly fee. And BTW... the gm's "trucks" are still CD based.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:51 AM   #10 (permalink)

The factory NAV units are nice to have for those times when you need one immediately. I had one in and 06 Acura TL. I now have a TomTom unit that can connect to my PC and update many things. It also has a cell chip in it to access wireless info such as Google, traffic, fuel prices, etc. It is more capable (and more easily updated) than the one in the Acura.

The nice thing on the NAV is the big screen for the backup camera. Although, I am planning on not spending the $2K premium for NAV, so I went in and looked at the rear view mirror camera view. I was amazed at how clear and viewable it was! The TomTom will still serve me in the new truck when we get it...
VAJeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2010, 02:10 PM   #11 (permalink)

nav system

Weather Map on the nav is helpful for me.
KOSLEY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2010, 03:19 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1450 View Post
I think your right DAK. I heard that the satalite based navs are updated automaticly. Maybe not if you don't get the monthly subscription to travel link.. I think updates are part of your montly fee. And BTW... the gm's "trucks" are still CD based.
I hope so (I never heard of the change, if there was one)
My 2009 Escape is CD based.

I'll find out soon. My unit is in "shipping" status
SOLD -2000 F-350 SRW, ORDERED 8/22/99, Built & released from Manufacturing 10/2/99/, At dealer 10/19/99, Picked up 10/22/99, 2000 F-350, CC, SRW, LWB, PSD, 6sp, Power-T-Mirrors - 54E, 4x4, Camper Setup, TT, Island Blue, Steps, CD, P-Glass, Manual 4WD Shift/Hubs, Warranty Voiding CUPHOLDER (saved a lot of money on ESP)
SOLD - 1991 SRW F350 7.3
SOLD - 1987 SRW F250 460 Gas
Y2KPSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > '11-Up Ordering Information

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.