Axle Ratio - 3.73 or 4.30 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > '11-Up Gas Engines

'11-Up Gas Engines Discussion of the gas engines available in the 2011-Up Super Duty trucks

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2010, 07:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Axle Ratio - 3.73 or 4.30

I'm thinking about purchasing a 2011 6.2 F250 and want some input on axle ratios. The truck will be primarily used for commuting and household chores such as Home Depot runs. I might tow a 5,000 # trailer one a year. I plan on eaither leveling with 33"s or possibly installing a 4" lift with 35's. I know the 4.30's would be better for the 35" tires but are they neccessary? Every truck I see on lots around here have 3.73's. Would the 3.73's MPG suffer with the 35's? Any input would be appreciated.
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2010, 11:28 AM   #2 (permalink)

I would probably go with the 4.30s if you plan on larger tires AND towing, but what is the stock tire size? (as i have no idea) There are times when i wish my truck had 4.10s. But i do think you could probably live with the 3.73s with no problem tho, esp if you pulled mostly highway driving. Stop and go might get thirsty.
'99 F250 CC-SB 4x4, AFE Stage 2 intake with Pro-Guard 7, Dieselsite coolant filter, DiPricol Full gauges, AIC, On board air + Buell emergency series air horns, Striker turbo timer, Striker I module, Cyclops anti-theft module, TC lockup and 6.0 trans cooler. Powerslot Cryro'd rotors and Hawk LTS pads.
LTFFNREMTP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2010, 11:37 AM   #3 (permalink)

Since the mileage with the 3.73s will not be hugely better than the 4.30s, and considering you plan to eventually add larger diameter tires, I myself would go with the 4.30s. You'll probably have to order it as most dealers spec the 3.73s on their stock units. As far as stop and go mileage, I would think that the 4.30 ratio would be a wash as the engine would not have to work as hard to get the beast moving.
December, '02 build F-250 CC 4X4 Lariat 6.0/Torqshift,Toreador Red over Arizona Beige 4X4 FX4 w/ moon roof. Stull grill insert, chromed tow hooks/bed tie downs, painted door handles, King Ranch flares, '08 aluminum differential cover, Inyati bed liner, Edge 3" lift Bonspeed eight spoke wheels w/BFG AT KO 305/65R18s now gone, but greatly missed
Going_Going_Gone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2010, 09:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
I'm thinking about purchasing a 2011 6.2 F250 and want some input on axle ratios. The truck will be primarily used for commuting and household chores such as Home Depot runs. I might tow a 5,000 # trailer one a year. I plan on eaither leveling with 33"s or possibly installing a 4" lift with 35's. I know the 4.30's would be better for the 35" tires but are they neccessary? Every truck I see on lots around here have 3.73's. Would the 3.73's MPG suffer with the 35's? Any input would be appreciated.
With what you've described, you'll be better with 4.30's.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

35"s are only 1" taller than the stock 20s. You can also fit 35s on a stock non-lifted truck. If I were to get a 4" lift i'd get 37s and 4.30s but stock height allows for a harder working truck and is how I keep mine.
Carl Lassiter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2010, 05:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (9)
From what I've read, the 4.30's don't really change the mileage worth speaking because the engine is working less - and that's just driving. I'm looking at the 6.2L and will consider the 4.30 first. It seems the new 6-speed is much better with the 4.30's than the last generation trannys.
Smokewagun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2010, 07:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter View Post
35"s are only 1" taller than the stock 20s. You can also fit 35s on a stock non-lifted truck. If I were to get a 4" lift i'd get 37s and 4.30s but stock height allows for a harder working truck and is how I keep mine.
20"s are not avail on 6.2L equipped trucks. I believe the stock tire height is 32.5 or so inches.
MonteCarlo31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2010, 08:53 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post

I have the 4.30's and am glad I ordered it that way. (I didn't see any 4.30's on the lot)

My machine doesn't see highway driving much, but I do tow with it and I have had a low of 12.2 mpgs and a high in ther 14's (on a tankfull) so I don't think you give up much to the 3.73's. And ther 4.30's are better on the go when towing.

NIX BESSER
Old 10-18-2010, 07:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
3.73 no question..that motor has max tq so low 4.3's will just burn the tires off..5k tow...ya won't know its behind you..you will REGRET 4.3's.

We developed the Reverse Shackle SD spring swaps for D60 '85-04 and D60 '05 up axle swap with suspension for the OBS.
We developed the B mod, Bilstein special valving, suspension and handling cures for the Excursions.

We know what it takes to make a OBS or SD ride fantastic!

We only carry the BEST parts and never compromise just to get a sale.

Dealer for: Custom kit H2e and H2e modded turbos, Full Force Diesel Injectors! Icon, Pure Performance, Bilstein, RS-SD and 99 up suspension swaps kits for OBS and SD trucks, BTS Trans, Tunes by Tony Wildman , Tymar products, Hella lighting, True Projection Hid's, Isspro guage kits, If I can help you with your truck please PM or Email me.

Cary
email: ctperformanceinc@yahoo.com
Website: http://www.ctperformanceinc.com introduction only, we want personal contact to insure you get what you need.
caryt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2010, 08:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Chuckdogg6.0
I love my 3.73, unless you are towing all the time i would go with the 3:73's
2011 F350 6.2 XLT Crew cab SRW 4x4 3:73 E-locker Sync 4.2lcd
- Banks Exhaust w/ custom extras
- 5600k Head Lamps
- 5600k Fog Lamps
- Blacked Out Cab lights
- Blacked Out Mirror lights

TRADED--10/03 build F250 6.0 XLT Ext Cab 4x4 Auto,

06 Yamaha Banshee
Anniversary Addition
Powder coated black T5 exhaust
Chuckdogg6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2010, 05:11 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caryt View Post
3.73 no question...you will REGRET 4.3's.
Dude, "REGRET" might be a bit strong. Have you had one with that ratio?
Old 10-19-2010, 04:16 PM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Ya know I made a bigtime mistake and I'll retract my post as I didn't see this was about a Gas motor..sorry to all.

Cary

We developed the Reverse Shackle SD spring swaps for D60 '85-04 and D60 '05 up axle swap with suspension for the OBS.
We developed the B mod, Bilstein special valving, suspension and handling cures for the Excursions.

We know what it takes to make a OBS or SD ride fantastic!

We only carry the BEST parts and never compromise just to get a sale.

Dealer for: Custom kit H2e and H2e modded turbos, Full Force Diesel Injectors! Icon, Pure Performance, Bilstein, RS-SD and 99 up suspension swaps kits for OBS and SD trucks, BTS Trans, Tunes by Tony Wildman , Tymar products, Hella lighting, True Projection Hid's, Isspro guage kits, If I can help you with your truck please PM or Email me.

Cary
email: ctperformanceinc@yahoo.com
Website: http://www.ctperformanceinc.com introduction only, we want personal contact to insure you get what you need.
caryt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2010, 04:32 PM   #13 (permalink)

I have 3.73's. Works really well for me. I tow maybe 12-15 times a year. If I towed all the time; 4.30's would be a better way to go. For those who will never tow or just tow every once in a while; the 3.73's are better. For those who do alot of highway driving without towing; the 3.73's are better also.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:14 PM   #14 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Chuckdogg6.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Runner View Post
I have 3.73's. Works really well for me. I tow maybe 12-15 times a year. If I towed all the time; 4.30's would be a better way to go. For those who will never tow or just tow every once in a while; the 3.73's are better. For those who do alot of highway driving without towing; the 3.73's are better also.

Agree
2011 F350 6.2 XLT Crew cab SRW 4x4 3:73 E-locker Sync 4.2lcd
- Banks Exhaust w/ custom extras
- 5600k Head Lamps
- 5600k Fog Lamps
- Blacked Out Cab lights
- Blacked Out Mirror lights

TRADED--10/03 build F250 6.0 XLT Ext Cab 4x4 Auto,

06 Yamaha Banshee
Anniversary Addition
Powder coated black T5 exhaust
Chuckdogg6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2010, 10:34 PM   #15 (permalink)

How will 3.73's be with 35" tires?
Like I said, I will probably only tow 5,000# trailer once a year
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > '11-Up Gas Engines

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.