Spark Plug disintegrates and destroys engine at 85k - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 Gas Engines

1999-2007 Gas Engines Discussion of the gas engines available in the 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2006, 01:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (8)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Spark Plug disintegrates and destroys engine at 85k

Never been in the V-10 section before but a woman at work here has a F-350 with the V-10, no mods, and about 85k on the clock. apparently her husband was just driving it and everything was fine then it made a nasty noise and lost power so he had it towed to the dealer. The dealer just got back to them and said the spark plug disintegrated and it will be $4k. They are livid. Not that it matter much but aren't those supposed to be 100k spark plugs? Don't you think this is grounds to file a grevance with Ford to have the cover the repairs? If so does anyone know how to go about that and what their chances are?

Just talked to the husband and apparently the spark plug did not disintegrate it just shot out of the head. After looking into it it appears to be relatively common but not many or getting results trying to make Ford pay for it.
2003 Yamaha Kodiak 450

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. And moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

"What you want is irrelevant, what you have choosen is at hand." - Mr. Spock
RenoF250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2006, 01:22 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Re: Spark Plug disintegrates and destroys engine at 85k

Remember dealers don't fix things they replace parts. Chances are they want to replace the head. What they need is the time-sert insert to fix the plug hole.

2007 Dodge 3500 Quadcab, 4x2, 6.7L Cummins, a/t, longbed, 4x2

Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.
V10 man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2006, 10:06 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (8)

Yeah, I told them that and they said the dealer told them they could not Heli-Coil it. I told them that was probably because they would not get the $4k and they said well they already have the engine torn apart and a new head ordered. I will tell them to make sure the get the bad head back. Otherwise the dealer will probably Heli-Coil it and put it in another vehicle.
2003 Yamaha Kodiak 450

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. And moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

"What you want is irrelevant, what you have choosen is at hand." - Mr. Spock
RenoF250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2006, 01:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

Do you know the year?

I almost want to buy a timesert just in case. But really I don't think this is a real common problem. I realize this doesn't help if it has happened to you.

If you look up the timesert website it is a sort of DIY project to be done while the head is on the block...

Time Sert
robsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2006, 07:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

I had a similar issue with a Toyota Camry. My wife was driving it one day and it started making a terrible noise. She pulled over and called a tow truck to take it to the dealer. The dealer told her the head was shot. They said they were able to get the plug back in but would not guarantee how long it would hold. They wanted like $3K for the repair. My wife called me and I left work to go check it out myself. The plug seemed to be seated pretty well, so I drove it off the lot. I drove it a couple of weeks, then took it to a local auto repair shop (non dealer). They checked it all out and said the only thing that was needed was a tune up. I paid them for the tune up and drove the pee out of the car for a couple more years.

Current Truck -- 2008 Black F350 XLT 4x4, 6.8 V10, CC Long Bed, 4.10 rear, 18" wheels, IBC. Additions: Chrome Step Bars, Chrome door handles, Silver barbed-wire pin stripe, B&W Turnover GN ball
barrelhorses is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2006, 09:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

From what I can tell, this was a problem with the early V10's. Not enough threads to hold the plugs in and something to do with the head design. $4k for a head repair? That's a lot of cash!
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 Gas Engines

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.