Transmission gauge/cooler - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 Gas Engines

1999-2007 Gas Engines Discussion of the gas engines available in the 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2000, 07:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Transmission gauge/cooler

I've got a 2000 F350 w/ V10 & auto tranny. Who makes a good tranny temp gauge and how long does it take to install for the average nerd. Has anyone added aditional tranny coolers on their tow pkg equipped SD's? I use the truck for occaisional slide in camper trips and was wondering if you think the stock coolers are o.k. or if I need more? Thanks for any help.
p.s. I don't have a lead foot....so won't be trying to conquer any mountains in a hurry.

------------------
Y2k F350,V10,4x4,Lariat,SC,Auto,Tow pkg, Rancho 9000, Air Ride,Long bed,Lance Camper

[This message has been edited by outpost22 (edited 12-31-2000).]
Y2k F350, white with harvest gold trim,V10,4x4,Lariat,SC,Auto,Tow pkg,camper pkg,ESOF, so-called limited slip, off road,3.73,Rancho 9000 w/ in cab control, Ride Rite Air Bags,Long bed,Rickson 19.5" wheels, Michelin XDE-MS,Lance Camper, BugDeflector2, Stull Grill, KN., Flowmaster 50
outpost22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2000, 09:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Transmission gauge/cooler

Yes you do need a tranny cooler. Get a stacked-plate type. Mine's a B&M. It cost me $50, and took about 30 minutes to install.

As for the gauge, I considered it, but didn't buy one yet. I'll tell you if/when I do.

Even though I don't own a Ford SD, don't discount what I said. Get yourself a tranny cooler. It's cheap insurance.

------------------
'84 Chevy K10 Scottsdale 4x4. 305 V8. 700R4. NP 208. 3.08 gears. 3" Suspension Lift. 35x12.50R15 BFG A/Ts
35x12.50 BFG M/Ts on their way

05 Ram 3500 CTD 6 speed 4x4 Laramie QC SRW SWB
Leveled + 35" tires
Tim_wants_a_Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2001, 12:39 AM   #3 (permalink)

Have you checked to see if it already has an auxiliary cooler? My truck does- in addition to the radiator! It's my understanding that some of the SD only have one or the other (rad or aux). If you have such a truck, I do recommend a large aux. cooler. I also prefer B&M.

[This message has been edited by NoMo (edited 01-01-2001).]
Old 01-02-2001, 12:24 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (9)

I also, have the F-350 V-10. I installed an ISSPRO transmission temperture gauge and the Perma Cool Auxiliary transmission cooler. The weak link in these vehicles is the transmission, so extra effort at this point can save you big bucks later. See the threads by cphiip and crewzer ([posted on 6-5-00),they did an excellent job describing how to add the auxiliary fan. I am not machanical inclined either, but I did all my own work. The more you stroke your baby the more you come to love her.
SOLD - 2001, F-350, PSD Lariet, Oxford White, CC, LWB, DRW; [color = red]Maghytec Transmission Pan and Differiential Cover[/color]; Autometer Bezel; [color = blue] SPA Boost/EGT, Transmission and Differiential gauges[/color]; Ford Bug Shield; WeatherTech Rain Guard; Pioneer 6 disc changer; Ford Rubber mats; Cobra 29WXNWST CB Radio; Cobra CA 77 Power microphone; Husky Molded Flaps and floor mats. [color = green]Banks Power Pack[/color]. J&J Stainless Steel Running Boards. J&J Victory tail gate. Bilstein shocks. [color = red] 2003 heated TT Mirrors - with rear window defogger switch. [color = red ] C-Betr Mirrors. NMC2. .[color:"red"]SoCAPS Member[/color] [color = green] SoCaps Founding Member [/color]
Aaron Ruble is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2001, 03:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

I installed an Autometer analog gauge with a 100 - 250 degree F range. It took about 3 hours, including installing the sender into the transmission's left side pressure port.

Some analog gauges start at 140 degrees. This is too high for most conditions as the fluid temp won't get that high.

If you're interested in an even lower scale, you might want to consider a digital gauge.

Your truck should already have two trans coolers installed in series as standard equipment. The first is an oil-to-water cooler located in the radiator's bottom (cool) tank.

The second is a large stacked-plate style oil-to-air cooler located between the radiator and the AC condenser.

You can verify this configuration by sliding under the right side of your truck and tracing the cooling lines to/from the transmission.

This configuration seems to work well when crusin' along and there's plenty of air ramming through the radiators.

The fluid does seem to get hot in summer time stop-and-go traffic with the AC running, and when jockeying a trailer into a camp site (lots of slow speed torque converter slip).

As Aaron noted, I added a 10" fan "puller" style behind my oil-to-air cooler. The fan is automatically controlled by a circuit that senses temperature at the top right of that cooler, and it runs the fan at whatever speed is required to keep spot temps below 160 degrees.

Good Luck!

------------------
crewzer -- Y2K F250 SD 4X2 CC SB XLT 5.4LV8 AT 4.10LS 4W-ABS TTPkg etc. Black/Silver plus 285/75R16D tires, trans cooling fan, TT gauge & Magnefine filter.
Old 01-02-2001, 11:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

Crewzer and all, Thanks for the input. Yes I do have these coolers as stock...Crawled on the garage floor and looked at lines/coolers. I can start shopping tommorrow for gauges....sigh!

------------------
Y2k F350,V10,4x4,Lariat,SC,Auto,Tow pkg,camper pkg,K&N, off road,3.73,Rancho 9000, Air Ride,Long bed,Lance Camper
Y2k F350, white with harvest gold trim,V10,4x4,Lariat,SC,Auto,Tow pkg,camper pkg,ESOF, so-called limited slip, off road,3.73,Rancho 9000 w/ in cab control, Ride Rite Air Bags,Long bed,Rickson 19.5" wheels, Michelin XDE-MS,Lance Camper, BugDeflector2, Stull Grill, KN., Flowmaster 50
outpost22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2001, 04:51 AM   #7 (permalink)

Outpost,

Try Diesel Injection Service or DIS as it's known around here. www.dieselpage.com They sell both the Autometer and Isspro. I bought the Isspro from them.

2007 Dodge 3500 Quadcab, 4x2, 6.7L Cummins, a/t, longbed, 4x2

Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.
V10 man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 Gas Engines

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.