V10 vs GMC 8.1L - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 Gas Engines

1999-2007 Gas Engines Discussion of the gas engines available in the 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2001, 11:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
V10 vs GMC 8.1L

Just recently rolled my PSD van during a holiday trip in cold, snow, and blowy Wyoming. Totaled the van!

I've had about enough of the PSD and want to try a different engine and maybe a different make and model. So…what do we know about the GMC 8.1L if anything.

Thanks in advance for the feedback
Van Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2001, 11:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: V10 vs GMC 8.1L

A friend on mine has 8.1 in his truck and it is very impressive. From a gas engine viewpoint I would take the 8.1 over the 6.8.
2001 F-350 CC PSD DRW 4x2 silver clearcoat XLT, Rickson LTS 19.5s' with 225/70/19.5 tires, F-450 front 4x2 axle with 14.5" rotors, Banks Monster exhaust, Garrett GT-4294R turbo, Stealth pump, Swamps 200cc splitshots, Jody Tipton custom 4-position chip, AFE magnum stage 2, DI regualtor kit, Suncoast SD42 torque converter, Hallas Performance 4R100, Mobil 1 5w-40 and Amsoil dual bypass, Optima batterys.
BMcNab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2001, 08:11 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)

My Uncle has the 8.1 Chevy and he wishes he bought something else. He averages 6 mpg, his engine has developed some form of a start up knock, his oil consumption is very high. This is a brand new truck with this kind of problems....NO THANKS ! He also has the Allison tranny which is currently in the shop for repairs...not sure why though. He has a case number with the BBB and is trying to un-load this thing. Not trying to be a hater...just stating the facts [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
<font color="purple">2002 F-350 Crew Cab, Lariat, 4 x 4 Off Road, <font color="red">V-10</font>, A/T, 4:30's, Snow Plow Package X-Springs, Lighted Heated TT Mirrors, Reverse Sensor, Alarm-Remote Start, Husky Floor Mats, Silverstars, Garmin GPS V, Jack-It Lift, BFG 35's w/ 16 x 10 wheels, Rancho 9000X Shocks, TruSpeed, Berlin Bed Cover, Fireman LED lite bar..and a partridge in a pear tree</font>

Visit my Site

Updated Pics

SpOOk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2001, 08:45 AM   #4 (permalink)

I work with a guy that has the 8.1 in his truck and really likes it. I would say it has far more power than my 6.8 and gets the same milage around 12.0 in the high altutude.

04/03 F350 Dually XLT, 4x4, CC, LB, Auto, Firestone air bags, Bilstein shocks, Three rear main seals, three times for no 4x4, to many other problems, Dealer got this peice of junk back in less than three months.

02, (Traded 12/01/03) F350SD,XLT, 4X4, CC, LB, PSD, Auto, Firestone air bags, Bilstein shocks
Custome made ATV rack
350R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2001, 09:04 AM   #5 (permalink)

Anyone know how much HP the 8.1 puts out?
Old 12-05-2001, 09:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)

As much as I love my V10 (there's just something magical about "V-ten"), I've driven a buddy's GMC heavy duty with the 8.1 and allison tranny and the thing has got some serious guts. Granted, the 8.1 is 1.3 litres larger in displacement, so it should be more stout. And the allison takes some getting used to as well (wierd shift feel). As far as I know, he's had no problems with it, although on the freeway unloaded I get about 15 mpg while his best seems to be around 12.5. If the 8.1 was available in the SD, I'd have it in a minute.
Robb [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
99.5 F250SD XLT,4X4,CC,SB,SRW,V10,Auto,3.73LS,ESOF,Deep Wedgewood Blue,Swiss Cab-high Cap,Pioneer DEH-P7300,Alpine Amps,Infinity Sub,Street Scene Grill Inserts,full-chrome grill,Fumoto,SPA Gauges,Rancho stabilizer,Heated/Lighted TT mirrors, Jordan Ultima 2020,TYC Elegante Tail Lights,Great Covers Endura Seat Covers,Auto Lock Underseat Drawer,Hella Micro DE Fogs,Full Chrome Front Bumper,PML Diff Cover, JAD Solutions LED running lights below doors,18" Harley Wheels,keypad,chrome tow hooks,leather steering wheel, PF 2-piece Rotors and "Z" pads in front - PS Cryo and Hawk LTS in rear,BANKS Stinger Plus,Banks TransCommand,GMT Transmission,Bilstein 5100s My Pics
todlake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2001, 12:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)

the 8100 is rated at 340/455...that's a ton of horseys and torque. i drove one once, and they are quite powerful. Those output numbers are close to the lightning motor w/o the blower [img]graemlins/smokin.gif[/img]
skammer1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2001, 02:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

There is no replacement for displacement! I'd take the 8.1 over the V10 any day. Of course you wouldn't catch me dead in 4x4 pickup with IFS front suspension like the Chevy. I guess it looks like I'm going to be hanging onto my 460 and straight front axle as long as possible.
Old 12-05-2001, 06:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

Well, I didn't buy my V10 for a drag car [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] .

I just wanted a stout truck with enough motor for everyday low miles driving and also packing my camper around on the occaisional trip. The V10 is pretty hard to beat in this scenario, and is proven reliable, unlike the GM Large block V8. The GM is probably a good motor and I had a Vortec GM in my last truck. The problem is when you look at the total package( and GM IFS), it just looks better in a SuperDuty! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Y2k F350, white with harvest gold trim,V10,4x4,Lariat,SC,Auto,Tow pkg,camper pkg,ESOF, so-called limited slip, off road,3.73,Rancho 9000 w/ in cab control, Ride Rite Air Bags,Long bed,Rickson 19.5" wheels, Michelin XDE-MS,Lance Camper, BugDeflector2, Stull Grill, KN., Flowmaster 50
outpost22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2001, 07:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

Haven't seen a hp/torque curve for the 8.1 yet, but if it's like the rest of the GM gassers, it doesn't produce those serious numbers unless it's rev'ing rather highly. Not the best for a truck engine.

A couple months ago, Truck Trend did a test on the 8.1, Ford 6.8 and the Dodge 8.0, in one ton dually models. Very similar performance out of the three! If Ford would have added about a liters more displacement to the V10, imagine what this baby would put out! [img]graemlins/smokin.gif[/img]
2000 Ford Excursion XLT 2WD, Chestnut/Parchment, V10, 3.73ls, autolamps/DRL's, Rear air deflector, Banks Powerpack with Transcommand, Edelbrock I.A.S's, 1 steel rear lift blocks, Tekonsha Sentinal. Towing a '00 Holiday Rambler 31 SKS, 10K gvwr
3992824 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2001, 08:16 AM   #11 (permalink)

I think one of the key factors when looking at both the ford and gm gas engine is the design of the engine itself. The manufacturers have completely different philosophies, and I think it's rather intriguing if you look closely at the differences.

The GM motor is a huge 496ci Big Block V8 motor, compared to the 'small' 6.8L V10. Now, why does this motor have to be so huge to make only make 30HP/TQ more at similar RPM? Looking at the numbers, the Ford V10 makes 45.59 HP per liter vs the GM engine that makes 42 per liter.

If you look closely at the engine design, you can see the Ford uses a long stroke/small bore design while the GM engine is a long stroke/large bore motor. In fact, the bore size of the GM engine is nearly the same as the stroke length of the motor.

Some advantages to the Ford design are loads of bottom end torque production for the small displacement, lighter pistons, and less total rotating weight. Also what must be looked at is the SOHC design. Basically the Ford motor is a more efficient piece any way you look at it.

The GM engine, by being so much larger requires more fuel to feed it and clearly does not get nearly the mileage that most V10's get. It also is an old technology OHV design that is not nearly as efficient as a SOHC engine. Looking at all the facts, the numbers don't really add up in GM's favor unless all you are looking at is HP/Tq numbers.

While gas mileage is certainly not the most important issue for SD/HD truck owners, there is a huge difference between 8-10 MPG and 12-13. I know two people with 8.1L trucks, and neither can get better than 10 MPG. While most V10 owners get significantly better than that.
Old 12-06-2001, 12:16 PM   #12 (permalink)

All the torque and horse power curves and horsepower per liter figures, don't mean a thing in the world. All that matters, is when you put a load behind it will it go, and nothing will keep a load rolling down the road like rotating mass. ITs a thing called inertia........ More weight rotating is harder to slow down. There is no substitute for cubic inches. The V-10 is strong, but from my dealings with my dads truck, until you get her screaming at 3000 and above that is where the real power comes in. I really don't know about the new bigblock either, but my 96 454 was a war horse........ just my .02

Rebel
[img]graemlins/smokin.gif[/img]
Old 12-06-2001, 08:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
PE

Texasrebel

You know, Tony S is right. There is a “replacement for displacement”. There are actually quite a few, many of which reside in our Ford v10 engines. Your inertia theory does not count for squat. The tires have more stored kinetic energy than the rotating parts in the engine. Also, the horsepower and torque curves DO mean something. With those, engineers can predict…quite accurately…how the truck will perform under load. It is all related, man.
PE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2001, 11:51 PM   #14 (permalink)

Hey Tony S any new info on the stang, nice web site. My friends 8.1 gets 14mpg, mileage differs per truck same as with our PSD's.
2001 F-350 CC PSD DRW 4x2 silver clearcoat XLT, Rickson LTS 19.5s' with 225/70/19.5 tires, F-450 front 4x2 axle with 14.5" rotors, Banks Monster exhaust, Garrett GT-4294R turbo, Stealth pump, Swamps 200cc splitshots, Jody Tipton custom 4-position chip, AFE magnum stage 2, DI regualtor kit, Suncoast SD42 torque converter, Hallas Performance 4R100, Mobil 1 5w-40 and Amsoil dual bypass, Optima batterys.
BMcNab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2001, 07:16 AM   #15 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Outlaw5.0:
Hey Tony S any new info on the stang, nice web site. My friends 8.1 gets 14mpg, mileage differs per truck same as with our PSD's.<hr></blockquote>

That must be going down hill, engine off, with the wind at his back kinda mileage LOL, my Uncles Chevy on the very best conditions has only seen 10 mpg unloaded at that. There is another guy at work that gets 11 mpg tops....those 8.1 are very very thirsty. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/smokin.gif[/img]
<font color="purple">2002 F-350 Crew Cab, Lariat, 4 x 4 Off Road, <font color="red">V-10</font>, A/T, 4:30's, Snow Plow Package X-Springs, Lighted Heated TT Mirrors, Reverse Sensor, Alarm-Remote Start, Husky Floor Mats, Silverstars, Garmin GPS V, Jack-It Lift, BFG 35's w/ 16 x 10 wheels, Rancho 9000X Shocks, TruSpeed, Berlin Bed Cover, Fireman LED lite bar..and a partridge in a pear tree</font>

Visit my Site

Updated Pics

SpOOk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 Gas Engines

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.