3.5 vs 4.0" downpipe for the 6.0 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2003-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2004, 09:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
3.5 vs 4.0" downpipe for the 6.0

who has what?

I've presently got a 3.5" downpipe, but have a friend who's looking and (fairly convinced) the he needs a 4" one on his 6.0.

Is there any real world difference? (besides having to modify the firewall to make it fit on some trucks)
-T
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2004, 10:11 AM   #2 (permalink)

Re: 3.5 vs 4.0" downpipe for the 6.0

4" here. cant give a 4 vs 3.5 comparison though, because i did the whole exhaust at once. much better turbo response though. and yeah, it did take come cutting to get rid of the rattles. sorry i cant help you more. i would suspect some of the sponsors will be most informative as they probably sell both...
mikeym is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2004, 10:49 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)

Call Mark @ DPPI. He can give you more information about all of the pluses and minuses.

Duke Jim
'97 F-250SD, Extended cab, long box, 4.10, WD down pipe, WD 75 hp chip, WD Air filter, Autometer A-Pillar gauges w/ EGT, Boost, & Tranny Temp, cat-less, 296,250 loving miles, 5th-wheel. (My daily driver, 212 miles round trip to work each day) Lost in Katrina
'95 Chevy C-1500, Silverado, Std Cab, Short Bed, Preditor Custom, tricked out, 350 ci - 350 hp Chevy Crate Motor to replace the original 305 (My Cruizin Truck) Lost in Katrina
'90 Miata, Summer time fun car - Lost in Katrina
'00 Triton 22 Sea Flight w/ 200hp Mercury Offshore EFI, T-Top, & loads of electronics - Lost in Katrina
'00 26' Wildwood 5th Wheel - Lost in Katrina
Aphrodite 101 - 32'-6" racing sail boat - Badly damaged in Katrina
jag969 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2004, 11:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (29)

IMO, you would probably gain some type of performance advantage if you had a straight pipe. Otherwise, it might not be worth the hassle.
8" Lift, Fox Shox, 37x13.5x20 Toyo Open Country MT on Method Racing Wheels, US Gear 4.88, MagnaFlow Exhaust, AMP Research PowerStep, Auto Meter Cobalt Gauges (EGT Boost Trans), ScanGaugeII, Firestone Air Bags/Compressor/Tank, BulletProofDiesel EGR Cooler, Valvoline lubricants, Final Charge Global ELC, DieselSite Coolant Filter
JW350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2004, 11:42 AM   #5 (permalink)

here is a quote from mark @ DPPI on another thread entitled downpipe ?

he is responding to my comment that the 3.5 inch fit better and adding to it, here it is

"Not only do they fit better but the 4 incher I had when we first started to prototype the 6.0 system did no better flow wise or EGT wise either, the only thing it did better was make your life miserable while you were tryiong to install it!!!!

We have down pipes in 3.5 in aluminized as well as T-409 stainless if you need any help just call us.

Mark @ DPPI"
drkshadowgrey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2004, 12:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

Sounds like the 3.5 might be the best way to go.

The 4" might make more ultimate power, but changing that in the future is a few pennies compared to what you have to do to make 600 hp and use the 4" in it's entirety. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
-T
Old 11-10-2004, 05:18 AM   #7 (permalink)

So are the newer 04 models equipped with the 3.5" already? This is what I have heard.
Tymar Intake

"The Short Bus"
MightyWhitey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2004, 08:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
gos

My Photos: (22)

kehale,

Magnaflow is now building 4" turbo back systems for the 6.0. They claim it will fit without modifying the firewall. We have not installed one yet so I can't say for sure that they are correct. Our experience with Magnaflow is that they will not release a product if it doesn't fit as planned.

As far as any power gain? I doubt it. I am sure there will be some additional lowering of Egt's though.

Magnaflow has also released duals for both the 6.0 and 7.3. There tailpipe design, larger muffler, and split behind the muffler are a great improvement over current design and should make installation easier, plus allow for more clearance below the bed. JS.
Jerry Schmidt, GOS Performance 1-800-620-4467, Wholesale Distributors for aFe,ATS,Autometer,Banks,Bullydog,CompuStar Remote Starts,Diamond Eye,DiPricol Gauges,Glacier Pumps,High Tech Turbos,Hughes,Industrial Injection,Edge Products,Mag Hytec,Magnaflow,MBRP,Pac Brake,Pro Parts,RevTek Lift Kits,KC HiLites,RCD,Rapid Hitch,Snow Performance,South Bend Clutch, Superchips, Superlift,Weather Tech

2005 Harley Davidson F350 #226 in True Blue

GOS Racings APC PT Cruiser
gos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2004, 11:12 AM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (29)

[ QUOTE ]
kehale,

Magnaflow is now building 4" turbo back systems for the 6.0. They claim it will fit without modifying the firewall. We have not installed one yet so I can't say for sure that they are correct. Our experience with Magnaflow is that they will not release a product if it doesn't fit as planned.

As far as any power gain? I doubt it. I am sure there will be some additional lowering of Egt's though.

Magnaflow has also released duals for both the 6.0 and 7.3. There tailpipe design, larger muffler, and split behind the muffler are a great improvement over current design and should make installation easier, plus allow for more clearance below the bed. JS.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the 3.5" down pipe system. I had to pull back the heat shield on the fire wall with a small bracket to keep it from rubbing on the down pipe, which made a nasty vibration/rattling sound. I like my Magnaflow exhaust, but the 4" down pipe would have been a real hassle. Hopefully, they changed the design to fit better.
8" Lift, Fox Shox, 37x13.5x20 Toyo Open Country MT on Method Racing Wheels, US Gear 4.88, MagnaFlow Exhaust, AMP Research PowerStep, Auto Meter Cobalt Gauges (EGT Boost Trans), ScanGaugeII, Firestone Air Bags/Compressor/Tank, BulletProofDiesel EGR Cooler, Valvoline lubricants, Final Charge Global ELC, DieselSite Coolant Filter
JW350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2004, 12:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

I presently have the MBRP 3.5" downpipe. It looks really (I mean REALLY) close to the firewall.

I can't imagine a 4" would fit without bending that flange back a bit.

When I first installed it, it rubbed on the flange when I turned or got on the gas. It was a nasty sound! Thought it was my turbo taking a dump the first time I heard it!
-T
Old 11-11-2004, 06:11 PM   #11 (permalink)

Anyone????? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img] My previous post is still unanswered. Anyone know if the stock pipe on a later 04 (03/2004)is 3.5"? And if it is, is there any real gain by swapping it out with an aftermarket one? I am looking at doing exhaust am thinking of skipping the downpipe and just putting in 4" straight through with the exception of my Aeroturbine that I won in a raffle.... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks
Tymar Intake

"The Short Bus"
Old 11-11-2004, 09:30 PM   #12 (permalink)

i have late 03. it had 3 inch. my friend bought 04. it had 3 inch, but without all the insulation stuff. my other friend has early 03. same as mine was. my other other friend just got 05. his looks same as 04.

as far as the size of the pipe, bigger is always a plus on a turbine outlet of any turbo. when i fist got my new truck, i was going to build a big pipe right away, didn't have much time to fab anything myself, so i was just going to buy one. but i found that noone built a 4 inch, at least not that i could find. it really didn't take long to build a 4 inch dp in the end. it turned out, as i figured, to have same bends as the old motor, but because new motors' turbo sits more towards driver side, the top is a hair longer.

you would see again by having a bigger dp, may not be in your sop meter, but on your pyrometer.
<font color="red">My Trucks</font>

BOOB MAN
beddins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2004, 07:23 AM   #13 (permalink)

So its 3" and not 3.5"............ Thanks thats what I needed to know...
Tymar Intake

"The Short Bus"
Old 11-12-2004, 08:33 AM   #14 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)

MightyWhitey,

Nope sorry they are all 3.0 inch down pipes.

Mark @ DPPI
Mark Craig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2004, 06:27 PM   #15 (permalink)

The 3.5" is more than enough for most applications and should have good performance gains. Banks and Silverline systems both use 3.5" down pipe which change to 4" as soon as space allows.
2001 F-250 Crew, long box, 4x4, Big Hoss level-5 Chip, Turbo Air Guide (TAG-II), Ford AIS air intake with foam sleeve, Monster exhaust, Aeroturbine, exhaust Guide, 6.0L intercooler, Di-Pricol Optix gauges, IHC CPS, Premo Oil Refiner, Banks Exhaust brake, SmartLock, Banks Quick Turbo, Six-Gun.

2000 Excursion PSD limited, Banks Big Hoss level-5 Chip, Turbo Air Guide (TAG-II), Banks Transcommand, UNI 2-stage foam air filter, 4" aluminized exhaust with 4" down pipe and 2 Aeroturbines.

97 F-250 Powerstoke 4x4 Banks Power Pack etc.

2006 VW Jetta, PD TDI, not modified yet[/i]
carnut57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.