6.0 for a 7.3 swap done!! - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2003-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2008, 08:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Talking 6.0 for a 7.3 swap done!!

That's right!! Got the truck back this week. It's not mine, but I was involved somewhat.

After my buddies '03 ate it's 2nd 6.0, he decided another $13,000 pile of junk was not a good investment.
Now, granted he did have the donor truck as well. One of his drivers totaled out a '01 F350, and he kept it for parts since he has 2 others.

A local former Ford tech did the swap in his back yard shop. He swapped everything including the tranny, wiring harness, and gauge cluster. And it runs sweet!! The 7.3 is actually quieter than the 6.0, and the newer truck has more sound proofing. So it's very quiet now.

He said he could do the job in less than a week if everything was lined up properly, and for about $3000, not including the donor truck. Yes, that's not cheap, but then a 4 yr old truck that's only worth $4000 on trade is no good either.

Has anybody else took the step, and what was your experience?
I personally am a Cummins fan, but hey, if you've already got the truck, why not?

Last edited by smokedivr; 06-09-2008 at 06:19 PM.
smokedivr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2008, 09:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

How many miles on the engines when they were blowing? I don't know for sure, but it would seem that either someone was hard on these engines, or something else was going on. Two engines just isn't right. I have heard of some buy-back situations where stuff like this was going on, but I haven't heard to many stories of two engines blowing. What, was the mileage on the truck 500,000 miles or something?

It's to bad he put the 4R100 trannie back in there, I think the 5R100 Torqshift is a significantly better transmission. Isn't there a way of some sort to "fit" it in place, with some sort of crazy adapter plate?

New truck: 2008 F250 Superduty Lariat 6.4 PSD Job 3, black, with ALL the goodies, very impressed so far...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
dieselmankane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2008, 09:16 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Depending on the HP..for big HP you use a 4R100. John Wood changes them out for the big HP 6.0 guys.

Cary

We developed the Reverse Shackle SD spring swaps for D60 '85-04 and D60 '05 up axle swap with suspension for the OBS.
We developed the B mod, Bilstein special valving, suspension and handling cures for the Excursions.

We know what it takes to make a OBS or SD ride fantastic!

We only carry the BEST parts and never compromise just to get a sale.

Dealer for: Custom kit H2e and H2e modded turbos, Full Force Diesel Injectors! Icon, Pure Performance, Bilstein, RS-SD and 99 up suspension swaps kits for OBS and SD trucks, BTS Trans, Tunes by Tony Wildman , Tymar products, Hella lighting, True Projection Hid's, Isspro guage kits, If I can help you with your truck please PM or Email me.

Cary
email: ctperformanceinc@yahoo.com
Website: http://www.ctperformanceinc.com introduction only, we want personal contact to insure you get what you need.
caryt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2008, 04:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

I was just looking at an 06 with the 6.0, but really want the 7.3, and was thinking there may be a way to retro-fit when the 6.0 dies.
rinkopr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2008, 06:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Each engine was just over 100K miles. And this was all after numerous injectors, EGR coolers, a new ECM, well over $20K spent on rrepairs since new. And the only mods were a cold air kit and high flow exhaust.

I talked with another friend today who is trading his '04 with 120K mi cause it's costing more to fix than it's worth. Already had major internal repairs once, as well as several injectors, and a turbo rebuild.

Sounds to me like, as we all know, the 6.0 is a piece of CR## !!

He wanted to keep the 5R as well, but the mechanic said it wasn't strong enough for the 7.3.

Dieselmankane, I don't want to rain on your parade, but I promise, you will have major problems in the next 59k mi. no matter how you baby it. The 6.0 will not hold up long term.

Last edited by smokedivr; 06-09-2008 at 06:16 PM.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)
Quote:
He wanted to keep the 5R as well, but the mechanic said it wasn't strong enough for the 7.3.
Your tech doesn't know what he is talking about, the 5r is PLENTY tranny enough for the 7.3L

Quote:
I personally am a Cummins fan...
Since your posts all slam the 6.0L, you don't have much credit here. Stop relying on your friends for info.

Some stock stuff, some modded stuff, some deleted stuff.....

Last edited by HeavyAssault; 06-09-2008 at 06:53 PM.
HeavyAssault is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2008, 01:25 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokedivr View Post
Each engine was just over 100K miles. And this was all after numerous injectors, EGR coolers, a new ECM, well over $20K spent on rrepairs since new. And the only mods were a cold air kit and high flow exhaust.

I talked with another friend today who is trading his '04 with 120K mi cause it's costing more to fix than it's worth. Already had major internal repairs once, as well as several injectors, and a turbo rebuild.

Sounds to me like, as we all know, the 6.0 is a piece of CR## !!

Dieselmankane, I don't want to rain on your parade, but I promise, you will have major problems in the next 59k mi. no matter how you baby it. The 6.0 will not hold up long term.
You have NO idea what you are talking about on The 6.0's reliability.You raining on anyones parades is Heresay and what he said crap you choose to be facts.I work on the same engine in Internationals and there are MANY with over 200,000 and still going strong with Nothing more than a turbo cleaning.Granted this engine has had issues but maintenece is KEY to avoiding much of it.Plus Keeping the Tuner off of it if you dont want gauranteed headgasket problems.I could go on about your comments but I wont
Old 06-10-2008, 09:02 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokedivr View Post
The 6.0 is stronger than the 7.3, but the transmission isn't strong enough for the 7.3?

Justin

1997 F-250 Power Stroke
463 hp - 7-9-09
BDP/Casserly Stage 2's, Modded H2E, Stealth Stage 2, BDP fuel system, Comp 910s, 7.3 ic, BDP live tuned

Justin C. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2008, 10:03 AM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Trans is fine to 500hp but if you push the HP up with the big boys you install a BTS or John Wood built 7.3 trannie. And anyone that thinks a 6.0 is as reliable as a 7.3 should check any ford dealership and you don't have to mod one to have major problems.

Cary

We developed the Reverse Shackle SD spring swaps for D60 '85-04 and D60 '05 up axle swap with suspension for the OBS.
We developed the B mod, Bilstein special valving, suspension and handling cures for the Excursions.

We know what it takes to make a OBS or SD ride fantastic!

We only carry the BEST parts and never compromise just to get a sale.

Dealer for: Custom kit H2e and H2e modded turbos, Full Force Diesel Injectors! Icon, Pure Performance, Bilstein, RS-SD and 99 up suspension swaps kits for OBS and SD trucks, BTS Trans, Tunes by Tony Wildman , Tymar products, Hella lighting, True Projection Hid's, Isspro guage kits, If I can help you with your truck please PM or Email me.

Cary
email: ctperformanceinc@yahoo.com
Website: http://www.ctperformanceinc.com introduction only, we want personal contact to insure you get what you need.
caryt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2008, 11:21 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grounder View Post
You have NO idea what you are talking about on The 6.0's reliability.You raining on anyones parades is Heresay and what he said crap you choose to be facts.
FYI, I do my research on diesels. Have been for years. I don't have to own and drive every one on the road to know what works and what doesn't. If my friends say it's crap, I don't have to go buy one to prove it. Of about a dozen people I know personally who own or have owned 6.0's none of them have good things to say about them.
The friends I speak of are people I know and work with, including some major hauling with all our trucks, and working together on repairs and upgrades.

I'm sure there are some exceptions out there, but the odds I've seen aren't very good.

I know of 7.3's, several in fact, with over 500k mi on them, so I'm not anti Ford. The guy who just did the swap has a '99 with 850,000 miles on it, and 2 others with 300k+ and 400k+. In fact, a '99 or '00 7.3 might be the best diesel pickup ever, but the cummins is better on fuel.

Yes, the cummins has a few bugs, but mostly confined to the fuel system. You can double the hp on a cummins and never break anything inside. The 24 valve 2nd generation has the vp44 injection pump which will absolutely fail eventually, and the 3rd gen commonrail has injector issues. But generally they don't eat turbos, or EGR coolers, or drop cylinders for mechanical reasons. Can't say the Dodge "truck" is as good though.

I don't see much talk about swapping TO a 6.0.
But the cummins swap seems fairly popular.

I'm not a Ford basher. But where I come from the 6.0 doesn't have a good reputation. The local dealer doesn't even want to trade for one.
(That's a fact direct from the sales manager).

I understand you don't like it when someone downs what you're driving. And I didn't come to pick a fight.
I wish you guys the best of luck with your 6.0's.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:34 AM   #11 (permalink)

I think the 6.0 gets a lot of bad rap because of the EGR system. If not for that, I think we'd have half as many problems as we do now. If the 7.3 had that EGR system, a lot of people would probably hate that engine too. I think that's a big reason why you keep hearing International doesn't have much trouble out of the 6.0, just Ford. Obviously head gaskets are an issue, but if you could take that and the EGR away, you've probably made the fan base a lot larger.

Justin

1997 F-250 Power Stroke
463 hp - 7-9-09
BDP/Casserly Stage 2's, Modded H2E, Stealth Stage 2, BDP fuel system, Comp 910s, 7.3 ic, BDP live tuned

Justin C. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2008, 01:37 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin C. View Post
I think the 6.0 gets a lot of bad rap because of the EGR system. If not for that, I think we'd have half as many problems as we do now. If the 7.3 had that EGR system, a lot of people would probably hate that engine too. I think that's a big reason why you keep hearing International doesn't have much trouble out of the 6.0, just Ford. Obviously head gaskets are an issue, but if you could take that and the EGR away, you've probably made the fan base a lot larger.

Justin
The VT-365 has the same egr emmission setup as the ford version.It has the same problems with valves and coolers but it doesnt seem to be as bad as ford.Headgaskets are NOT a issue in the International version.Write this up to programming and HP rateing between the two.Dirty sticking turbos are also a issue.This will affect everyone at some point that owns one, Nature of the beast.
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.