6.0 Preventative Upgrades - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2003-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 03:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 Preventative Upgrades

Question for the always helpful users of this forum:

I have an '07 6.0 with right at 60,000 miles. Had the thing since new and only had a rear main oil seal issue that was completed under warranty. Only upgrades thus far are a Banks Cold Air and MBRP 4" Turbo Back. I like to think that the 6.0 problems were largely addressed when the '07s hit. But, are there any upgrades that I should consider putting on the truck to keep it running smoothly as the years tack on? My diesel tech advises no upgrades as he runs by the philosophy of: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." But, with all the 6.0 bulletproof products out there I constantly wonder if I need to look into one.

*This truck is not a daily driver, rather a Sunday driver. Does not tow other than the occassional trip to the lake. Also, I plan on keeping this truck, so I am thinking of upgrades that will aid to the longevity of the truck.
2007 F250 PSD Crew Cab Lariat Banks Cold Air Intake Tuff Country Leveling Kit Line X Black Ranch Hand Grill Guard White Knight Reverse Lights Black UWS Deepbox Tint MBRP 4" Cat Back 20" Rims on 285 Black Wall BFGs
WhiteDiesel07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 12:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

A cheap and easy one is adding a coolant filter kit. It will prevent your oil cooler and EGR cooler (if you still have it) from clogging.

On a related note, doing and EGR delete can save you some trouble. I have a friend with an '04 6.0L and he replaced the EGR cooler twice. The 3rd time he went with a delete kit.

If you want to drop coin because you plan to add power, the head studs and gaskets are important.
Bullydog intake, EGR Delete, Sinister head gaskets, ARP studs, Silverline turbo-back exhaust, Elite diesel 10 vane VGT turbo, all lights are Recon smoked, 20" Ballistic Jester wheels
05RedDevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 12:08 AM   #3 (permalink)

'07 F-250 Crew Cab FX4

I would do the Coolant filter upgrade, I currently have my truck at the Ford Service Center for the last 13 days having the oil cooler and EGR cooler replaced and the engine flushed. I only have 45,000 miles on it and I do not tow any thing, mostly off roading. After getting my truck back I will be installing a coolant filter.
kkobayak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 10:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

You have the best mechanic!He's right.Thats what I go by,"If it ain't broke don't fix it".IMO to many guys spend way to much money on these trucks for no reason changing parts that haven't even broke yet.I don't get it...

I have an 07 too that I bought new.The dealer said that I too needed a new rear main seal.I said no thanks,Your not tearing my new truck apart.In the end the oil dried up many miles ago and has never been a problem too this day.

I ended up putting a coolant filter on my truck and have gone through many filters never to find anything in them.

If I was in your shoes I would go ahead and just buy a coolant filter because its cheap insurance for the coolers.After that,Drive it and enjoy...I wouldn't do anything else to it unless it breaks.

2004 F-250 All Black CC SB PSD FX-4
Traded for the 07

Last edited by Nico963; 11-21-2012 at 07:07 PM.
Nico963 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 07:43 AM   #5 (permalink)

Get gauges. They will allow you to see a host of tings that could prevent a relatively small issue from becoming a very large issue (ie oil cooler plugging, weak FICM or low fuel pressure ruining injectors, etc).

The 2007's still had some issues to watch -
- weak STC fitting (even though they 07's probably had the bracket installed
- poor longevity from the dummy plug o-rings and the standpipes
- weak design on the EGR cooler
- some had issues with weak fuel pressure regulator springs.
- Weak soldering and some weak components on the FICM

The cool;ant filter is a great addition, but if you have issues, it is not the total solution. Most coolant filters are only bypass filters (filtering a portion of the total flow).

Take care of all of these and you will have a great truck.
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower250A;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs

Last edited by bismic; 12-29-2012 at 07:49 AM.
bismic is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 04:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)
I hope you can drive it more than twice on Sunday. Too nice a truck to just sit. I hope the long term sitting doesn't cause issues. I for one say drive that beast and love the 6.0L!!

Some stock stuff, some modded stuff, some deleted stuff.....
HeavyAssault is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 06:05 AM   #7 (permalink)

Number one upgrade is a gauge that can read the OBDII datastream, Then, monitor ECT, EOT, and FICM. Install the fuel pressure spring upgrade. Next is keep the batteries up to date, make sure they are staying charged. Next is stay on top of routine maintenance. If it was me I would put the stock air filter back on. My truck came with an AFE cold air intake kit, and intake air temps dropped quite a bit when I put the stock filter back in.

Brian
MC5C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.