72psi with Blue spring upgrade - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2003-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2011, 06:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
72psi with Blue spring upgrade

I did the blue spring upgrade and now I'm at about 72psi at idle. I know its been said that 70psi is the max, but will 72psi hurt anything? I figure the spring will eventually loosen up and the 72 will drop to around 70. Is this just wishful thinking? I don't want to have to pull the spring out and grind it down if it isn't necessary. Let me know what you guys think.
06 F250 XL, FX4, Upfitters, TBC, 15% window tint, 3.73's, Muffler delete, Cat delete, Fumoto valve, High idle mod, Zoodad mod, Harpoon mod, CCV mod, ARP studs, SCT Livewire w/ Looney Wild DD Tune, Dieselsite.com coolant filter, Glow Shift Fuel Pressure Gauge, Ford Blue spring upgrade, 6.4l Banjo Bolts, Upgraded turbo boots, Upgraded HFCM drain plug, Quick Tricks 58 volt FICM, S&B CAI, Monitoring EOT, ECT, EGT, IAT, Voltage and RPM

Horsepower is like a gun; You may not always need it, but it's nice to know its there
mwilbur516 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2011, 07:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (19)
I would leave it alone. It will probably "break in" over time. I wouldn't be too worried over a mere 2 psi anyway.
Thats my guess anyway, for whatever its worth.
ex mounty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2011, 07:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thats what I was thinkin'. I guess a little to high is better than a little to low. If the GDS spring brings the pressure up to 90-100psi, 72psi can't be that horrible.
06 F250 XL, FX4, Upfitters, TBC, 15% window tint, 3.73's, Muffler delete, Cat delete, Fumoto valve, High idle mod, Zoodad mod, Harpoon mod, CCV mod, ARP studs, SCT Livewire w/ Looney Wild DD Tune, Dieselsite.com coolant filter, Glow Shift Fuel Pressure Gauge, Ford Blue spring upgrade, 6.4l Banjo Bolts, Upgraded turbo boots, Upgraded HFCM drain plug, Quick Tricks 58 volt FICM, S&B CAI, Monitoring EOT, ECT, EGT, IAT, Voltage and RPM

Horsepower is like a gun; You may not always need it, but it's nice to know its there
Old 02-03-2011, 08:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Over the past few months mine has came down about 2-3 lbs it will settle in and you will be go.
2 stroker
Sinister Fuel Pressure Adapter
Updated Fuel Reg. Kit 3C3Z-9T517-AG
WOT 58lbs Idle 62-64lbs Just Right
HFCM Water Separator Drain Plug Upgrade
Ford Cetane boost every fillup
Amsoil By-Pass(Amsoil 5w40)
Fumoto Oil Drain Valve
Dieselsite Coolant Filtration System
Dieselsite Boots
Delo ELC Coolant
Tow Command
Upfitter Switches
Pulling a 14,000 lb Alpenlite 5er
Roll-N-Lock bed cover
97 F350 4x4 PSD CC LB (sold it)
1700 Super Chip
PacBrake&ATS converter lockup
3" dp-4" exhaust
TruCool 28,000 lb cooler
Tymar Intake
A pillar EGT,Boost,Trans
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2011, 04:34 AM   #5 (permalink)

Over 70 is scary to me, I wouldnt run it.

If 45psi is the point where you would have injector starvation and failure, would you run 43psi??

C'mon Its only a meezly 2psi!!

No thanks!!

Over 70 is where trouble starts, expensive trouble.

Is it worth it? Its easy to change that spring, but changing and buying injectors sux!!

Just a thought.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:35 AM   #6 (permalink)

You also have to question the accuracy of the gauge. I don't know what kind of accuracy they guarantee but it wouldn't surprise me if they're off by 1 or 2 psi, thats a relatively small percentage and its not like we calibrate them against anything when we install them. I'd think a reading of 72 is safe, but I'm no expert.
55 watt halogen back up lights (4)
200 psi 5 gallon air system
Diesel Site Coolant Filter
HELLA FF50 Fog Lights
Custom Headache Rack
Custom Shovel Rack
Weatherguard Saddle Box
Weathergaurd Wheel Well Box
Herculiner wheel wells and rocker panels
Edge Insight with EGT and Fuel Pressure
MattShade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2011, 09:03 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilbur516 View Post
I did the blue spring upgrade and now I'm at about 72psi at idle. I know its been said that 70psi is the max, but will 72psi hurt anything? I figure the spring will eventually loosen up and the 72 will drop to around 70. Is this just wishful thinking? I don't want to have to pull the spring out and grind it down if it isn't necessary. Let me know what you guys think.

"70psi is in spec. give the gauge 2-3 +/- psi. he is close enugh. being the spring is new it may settle a little bit as well." Posted by a ford master tech on another site. I have the same spring and the same pressure. I would not worry about it. Does your pressure drop while driving? at wot?
high idle mod
ISSPRO EV2 fuel pressure gauge
Blue spring upgrade
EDGE Insite
SCT sf3
dfuser coolant filter
ELC
mixerdrvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2011, 06:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

Normal driving I'm at 70psi and at WOT the lowest I've seen is about 63psi. I think I'm gonna leave it. Now had it been 75-80psi I would've pulled the spring and trimmed it a little.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dikkstarr View Post
Over 70 is scary to me, I wouldnt run it.
If 45psi is the point where you would have injector starvation and failure, would you run 43psi??
C'mon Its only a meezly 2psi!!
No thanks!!
Over 70 is where trouble starts, expensive trouble.

IF the 45 psi is the low point where injector damage occurs, I wouldn't run my truck with less than 50psi, not even 49.
However, after reading about more than a few guys running the GDS spring for a long term (which boosts it to 100psi), a MERE 2 psi above the intended target of 70psi would tend to not bother me much, if at all. Especially since it is a Ford part manufactured for the intended use.
ex mounty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2011, 08:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

72 PSI is fine as others stated. I would bet that a reading from the back of the head (after fuel has been past the injectors) would be about 65 PSI. Wish it was easy to access the plug for a test.
lenzhotrod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2011, 06:25 AM   #11 (permalink)

What is the reason for installing the "blue" spring? sorry for the newbe question.
Mean Green is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2011, 08:49 AM   #12 (permalink)

If you read the post you'll see that the blue spring pushes the fuel pressure up to acceptable levels. Anything below 45psi is too low and will cause damage to injectors and anything above 70 psi will cause damage to injector o-rings. The GDS spring pushes pressure up to around 100psi. People run the GDS spring all the time without problems, so thats part of the reason why I'm leaving my blue spring in. If 100psi isn't blowing the o-rings out then 72psi shouldn't have any ill effects (hopefully). The blue spring is a part made and sold by Ford as a replacement part for your stock spring. Thats another reason that I'm not too worried.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:40 PM   #13 (permalink)

I guess its ok then if others are running 100psi.

My blue spring made 78psi, that freaked me out so I yanked it and used a ball bearing with the stocker.

I didnt want to take any chances with o-ring failure.

Has anyone read about o-ring failure? and what psi they were running before it happend?
Old 02-06-2011, 10:44 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilbur516 View Post
Normal driving I'm at 70psi and at WOT the lowest I've seen is about 63psi. I think I'm gonna leave it. Now had it been 75-80psi I would've pulled the spring and trimmed it a little.
Mines at about 69-70psi normal driving and wont go below 65-66psi at WOT, but mines is not tuned right now.

When my glow plugs are on Im at 60-61. Have you noticed that?
Old 02-06-2011, 10:48 PM   #15 (permalink)

The Ford specs for fuel pressure is 45 minimum, 75 maximum. Not 70. 72 is perfect, IMO.

You guys are thinking about International's spec, which is 70 max.
SickStroke6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.