Advice about upgrades - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2003-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 07:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Advice about upgrades

So I am doing the upgraded FICM from ficmrepair.com next week. Im getting the atlas 40 upgrade. What should I do next? This thing is stock, but does have the edge guages. Keep in mind, I need to worry about cost right now. I broke my leg and havnt worked for 3 months lol. I know I should do the EGR delete kit. What is the cheapest and most cost effective first, and then on? I already have 4 inch exaust. I do not think its got a cat converter on it, but havnt looked to see if its a fancy exaust. Thanks for you guys help, just about every time I have a question, all of you are a HUGE help, and its appriciated.
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 08:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

coolant filter next
06 4x4 ex-cab short bed w/studs, egr delete, sct w/innovative tuning, moderate ficm, intake elbow, 4"dp w/5" exhaust to a 7" stubby stack, 6.4 banjos and blue spring, a boat-load of gauges, home made traction bars, lowered 2", running 8.7's in the 1/8th mile
fordfan30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 07:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Advice about upgrades

As said above, a coolant filter is a must. Also look into an upgraded fuel pressure spring (blue spring mod). Updated STC fitting (HPOP), stand pipes/dummy plugs, 6.4 banjo bolts. Those seem to be the most popular things to do to prevent any future problems. Most important thing you can do with the 6.0 is MAINTENANCE! You to be borderline obsessive about it. Oil every 5000 and alot of people change over from Ford gold coolant to a cat ec-1 ELC coolant. How is your EOT/ECT temp delta? They should be with 15 deg. of each other. Gives you an idea of how your oil cooler is doing. Im sure there's more and hopefully somebody who knows more than me will chime in here, there are lots of helpful people on these forums.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 01-28-2013, 08:14 AM   #4 (permalink)

thanks guys. gonna order the filter this week. what are standpipes/dummy plugs?
Old 01-28-2013, 12:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

Performance machine has a good coolant filter setup.

Ford Remote Start; High idle mod; Timbren load levelers, Scangauge II, Blue Spring upgrade, Quick Start 200 amp large frame alternator replacement, 2 batteries January 2010; GPCM replace October 2011; 2 EGR valves; EGR Cooler replaced 12/30/11; Performance Machine & Mfg. coolant filter added 1/2/12; Rotella T6 5W40 oil; turned rotors and replaced brake pads for 1st time 1/7/12 101K miles; GPCM, both subharnesses and all 8 glowplugs replaced 1/5/13 at 118,000 miles; 2 Ford batteries replaced under battery warranty; FICM power supply board replaced with Dorman board 11/20/13. Coolant flushed and replaced with Prestone ELC 9/27/14. STC fitting replaced 10/19/14.
Ford06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 09:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaFarmer338 View Post
thanks guys. gonna order the filter this week. what are standpipes/dummy plugs?
Here you go along with the STC fitting the Edge Insight CTS will give you HPOP readings must be at 500lbs to start and about 3900lbs at WOT
Ford 6.0 update parts
2 stroker
Sinister Fuel Pressure Adapter
Updated Fuel Reg. Kit 3C3Z-9T517-AG
WOT 58lbs Idle 62-64lbs Just Right
HFCM Water Separator Drain Plug Upgrade
Ford Cetane boost every fillup
Amsoil By-Pass(Amsoil 5w40)
Fumoto Oil Drain Valve
Dieselsite Coolant Filtration System
Dieselsite Boots
Delo ELC Coolant
Tow Command
Upfitter Switches
Pulling a 14,000 lb Alpenlite 5er
Roll-N-Lock bed cover
97 F350 4x4 PSD CC LB (sold it)
1700 Super Chip
PacBrake&ATS converter lockup
3" dp-4" exhaust
TruCool 28,000 lb cooler
Tymar Intake
A pillar EGT,Boost,Trans
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 03:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

Whats does WOT stand for? And what do they do? Why do I need to do this?
Old 01-29-2013, 05:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)
Wide Open Throttle...to measure the operating limit of the truck. I'm not suggesting this be done but it's a measure of the system he is describing.

Some stock stuff, some modded stuff, some deleted stuff.....
HeavyAssault is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 11:51 AM   #9 (permalink)

ok thanks. What does that mod do for you?
Old 01-30-2013, 12:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

Ford updated stand pipes for all 2004-2007 Ford 6.0 engines. The old style rail plugs were prone to o-ring failure. Symptoms are loss of ICP pressures which can cause no start or stalling. It's also some times misdiagnosed as a bad IPR valve or HPOP. These have been updated with a back up PTFE washer.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:59 PM   #11 (permalink)

The question is do you want to spend money now, proactively, or spend it later, possibly after a catastrophic failure?

For an '06 I would advise head gaskets (standpipes and dummy plugs will come with the gaskets)with ARP studs, EGR cooler delete, new oil cooler, updated STC fitting, updated turbo drain tube & oil feed, installation of a coolant filter, change over to ELC coolant, and blue spring update for the fuel pressure. Oh, and gauges or an Edge to monitor vitals is an absolute must.

I guarantee that if these items are not a problem yet they will be, typically before 100k. You can hot rod it now and pay later, probably pay more too, or you can just do this stuff now and it'll handle whatever you want to throw at it upgrade wise.

Maintenance is an absolute must too. These trucks are completely intolerant of putting off maintenance. The injectors rely on oil to function, so oil changes are critical with injectors running $220 each, plus a $180 core you start to see why I and others harp on it. Ditto on fuel filters.
'06 F250 4x4 - 5" Flo Pro exhaust, SB Filter intake, Accufab elbow, Edge Evolution (monitoring only), SCT w/ ID custom tune, FASS 195 pump, Gillette Diesel EGR cooler delete, Sinister Diesel coolant filter, ELC coolant, updated turbo drain tube/oil feed line/STC fitting/oil cooler, ARPs w/OEM HGs, Elite coolant lines, ITP RR fuel system, Warren Diesel 175cc injectors, Powermax, BD CCV, FICM.com FICM w/ ID tune, Elite UP, BPD water pump - 13.069 @ 101.94

'02 WRX - Outback rear disc swap, EBC green pads, DBA pillar vane rotors, TXS UP/TBE/TMIC, Perrin LW crank pulley, PPG billet steel shift forks, ACT Streetlite flywheel & clutch, K&N filter, STi Group N motor/trans mounts, TiC/Kartboy rear diff mounts/subframe lock bolts/outrigger stiffeners, Kartboy SS & all shifter bushings, custom PDX tune for Cobb AP - went 14.1 on a terrible 60ft before most of these mods; shooting for 13.50s
TKOPerformance is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 11:49 AM   #12 (permalink)

Which edge do you have. If its the insite cts. You can monitor up to eight things. keep an eye on ECT(engine coolant temp) EOT (engine oil temp){keep a delta of less then 15*,hot level ground highway speeds} FICM volts,Battery volts(low voltage will kill FICM)TRANS temp. I think these are the main gauges to watch all the time.Rotate the others to diagnose or watch for problems.I would do updated parts as to how deep I was going into motor. If you do EGR delete maybe oil and drain lines and clean TURBO.oil screen and stc fitting. your going to be that deep anyway. You can look at the TURBO lines but the screen and stc fitting you will have to look at after you get into the motor. (Im assuming you bought used and don't know what has and has not been updated.)
A Coolant flush with restore,restore plus,and change to a CAT-1 coolant ,coolant filter. But this flush could clog your oil cooler. Do a search on each mod and be informed.
upfitter /w
high idle mod
back up camera
rear back-up lights
Blue spring and banjo bolt mod
Edge insite cts
new interstate batteries / may have hurt FICM
only Ford filters
Flushed/ CAT coolant
low coolant temps
two new thermostats
new coolant senser/ still LOW COOLANT TEMPS
mobile one oil/ going back to rotella T-6
REV-X / helped stiction
ARCH OIL AR 9100 /stiction cured so far 27*
ARCH OIL AR 6200 / @ 2 mpg increase
2stroked out is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 12:06 PM   #13 (permalink)

Also harpoon and hutch mod are free also could do high idle mod. Do a search on these.Some do Zoodad mod. I use archoil products as fuel and oil additives. If your just bored these are a few mods You could do free. Blue spring and 6.4 banjo bolts are cheap mods. Test your coolant cap they are cheap and some seem to be going bad.
Like everybody said keep the oil changed the spool valves on these injectors sheer the oil. and wear it faster than other motors. Keep coolant flushed and clean. Keep fuel filters changed (low pressure will kill your injectors) use only ford filters
upfitter /w
high idle mod
back up camera
rear back-up lights
Blue spring and banjo bolt mod
Edge insite cts
new interstate batteries / may have hurt FICM
only Ford filters
Flushed/ CAT coolant
low coolant temps
two new thermostats
new coolant senser/ still LOW COOLANT TEMPS
mobile one oil/ going back to rotella T-6
REV-X / helped stiction
ARCH OIL AR 9100 /stiction cured so far 27*
ARCH OIL AR 6200 / @ 2 mpg increase
2stroked out is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 06:42 AM   #14 (permalink)

I wouldn't recommend the 6.4 banjos. If you want to improve fuel flow to the injectors you need to go to a return regulated fuel system like the ones offered by IDP. The blue spring kit is a good idea if you don't want to go that far with it, or just for maintenance, as that will ensure your fuel pressure is proper.

There's another thread on here where a couple of knowledgeable guys talk about why the 6.4 banjos seem like a good idea, but may actually hurt your engine.
'06 F250 4x4 - 5" Flo Pro exhaust, SB Filter intake, Accufab elbow, Edge Evolution (monitoring only), SCT w/ ID custom tune, FASS 195 pump, Gillette Diesel EGR cooler delete, Sinister Diesel coolant filter, ELC coolant, updated turbo drain tube/oil feed line/STC fitting/oil cooler, ARPs w/OEM HGs, Elite coolant lines, ITP RR fuel system, Warren Diesel 175cc injectors, Powermax, BD CCV, FICM.com FICM w/ ID tune, Elite UP, BPD water pump - 13.069 @ 101.94

'02 WRX - Outback rear disc swap, EBC green pads, DBA pillar vane rotors, TXS UP/TBE/TMIC, Perrin LW crank pulley, PPG billet steel shift forks, ACT Streetlite flywheel & clutch, K&N filter, STi Group N motor/trans mounts, TiC/Kartboy rear diff mounts/subframe lock bolts/outrigger stiffeners, Kartboy SS & all shifter bushings, custom PDX tune for Cobb AP - went 14.1 on a terrible 60ft before most of these mods; shooting for 13.50s
TKOPerformance is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 07:14 AM   #15 (permalink)

A regulated return system is not required for a mild truck. You are better off with a sump and a AD150 lift pump.

Highest HP 6.0 without a RR? - PowerStrokeArmy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.