The Diesel Stop banner

Bad FICM?

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  fordsforever73 
#1 ·
Hauling home from a horse show Wednesday, truck was running fine. Unhooked the trailer and as I was merging onto the on ramp going 65 MPH, truck just completely shut off. Was able to get pulled over, truck would crank but no start. Eventually it just wouldn't crank. Had it towed to a smaller auto shop and they really haven't had much time to look at it, other than charge the batteries since the hazard lights drained both of them. He said it will once again crank but won't start, called him 20 minutes ago and states it doesn't seem like fuel is running to the engine. Could it be a bad FICM? I know for the last few weeks it's taken a bit to crank her to start, but doesn't idle rough or any loss of power especially when hauling.

#2 ·
What year is your truck? My 05 did that and it was the stc fitting on the HPOP. Had to have it towed from the mountains to the local Ford dealer-many hours of labor to repair (I ended up having them do the whole cab-off bullet proofing) If you have a monitor you can check your FICM voltage and the ICP.

#3 ·
You'll want to scan the truck for codes. A high pressure oil leak is more likely the issue...there are a couple of codes that would indicate that. There are upgraded parts that fix this issue...upgraded stc fitting, upgraded stand pipes and dummy plugs. The thing about working on these motors is that you can hit two birds with one stone, so to speak. It's all about labor costs, so doing what you can while things are apart, will actually save you money in the long run. I really think that sending your ficm out for upgrading is good insurance too, as they are a high failure item. Ed, at ficmrepair.com is a popular place for this. There is also other things that you can do while the intake is off, like the blue spring upgrade and an upgraded oil cooler. Adding a coolant filter is also beneficial. The list goes on...so if you can afford it, do as much as you can, getting closer to "full bulletproofing" and you'll have better reliability with your truck. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.