Bad Oil Cooler? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2003-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2009, 11:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bad Oil Cooler?

I will start by saying I have been reading this foum on and off for afew years and what I have seen has been great!

I have a 06 F350 CC SRW with about 130K on it now. I bought this truck used with about 100 on it so I do not know the history, but it appears to be a very clean well taken care of truck.

I have had some cold start issues, not every day or even every time it is cold (40* or so). I have also had issues with loss of pwr when towing (under easy accelaration) the truck will smoke heavy black and not build boost or gain speed. If i acc. faster it will run and pull normal.

So I did my reserch and red some diff things on here and decided I must be haveing some EGR issues. I bought a EGR and cooler del. last week. I have not yet installed it.

Today I ran arround in it like normal with no probs at all. I got in the truck this afternoon and when I started the truck I could smell coolent, not much but i could smell it (temp gauge in mid "normal"). I fig i was having some of the normal symptoms of the cooler failure and told myself i would start the removal in the morning (no big deal). As I drove the truck for about a mile or so I got the smell again (temp gauge now higher than normal). I was then concerned so i pulled over to add water to get back home when I got out of the truck I saw a large puddel of milkey oil on the ground.

The truck never ran bad, smoked, missed, or over heated. I called a wrecker and had it towed to the house.

The only thing i can think it would be is the oil cooler, I have had many Diesel trucks and have never had anything like this happen.

Now the question is what should i do if it is? I am a fan of the aftermarket for most things but not everything for sure. I dont like the sound of 2000 for a bulet proof oil cooler, nor do I want to go with the stock cooler and have the same issue later.

Any input would be Great!

Thanks
Paige
1BIGCRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2009, 12:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

If you have milky goop in your degas bottle, you have a bad oil cooler... Your options for repairing it are pretty limited.. Aside from the two options you've already listed, I don't know of any other choices.. Since you are now going to have to do extensive flushing of the entire cooling system to get all that gunk out, I would install a new factory oil cooler and a coolant filter kit. That should keep you from having to repeat this anytime soon....
2003 Toreador Red/Arizona Beige CC, DRW, Lariat, FX4, 6.0 PSD, Torqshift, born early Feb. 03; AIC; Silverline turbo-back dual exhaust; 155cc injectors from Full Force Diesel (Casserly); SCT with tuning by Tony Wildman (Total Diesel Performance) & Innovative Diesel; ARP studs; Dfuser regulated return; AFE PG7; Fumoto valve; B&W hitch, Di-Pricol gauges; DIESELSITE Coolant filter; Timbrens; Rancho RSXs; Michelin XPS Traction's; a whole bunch of "bling"; Connex 4300hp; Pioneer DEH6100BT; JL Audio 275w amp driving a 12" sub; JL Audio 50wx4 amp driving the Alpine door and rear seat speakers. 380.3hp/786.7ft-lbs (on my tow tune!)

pics

SLAPS President and Webmaster
teamroper60 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2009, 01:11 AM   #3 (permalink)

I can sell you the whole cooler for $382 (which are on backorder right now) or the cooler "rebuild" kit for $198. You replace the core, and reuse the old body. Its a little extra BS, but saves $$ in the end. In fact, the rebuild is the only thing the techs can use for warranty work.

I'm still a little new to this site, but it seems like those coolant filters will REALLY help prevent this sort of thing from happening again. It makes sense; the coolant passages are what always plug up and cause failure.

Call us at 1-800-328-9552, be sure to mention this website when calling.
OR check out our website http://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/

Check out Ford's website as well!
http://www.fordparts.com/autonationfordwhitebearlake

I'll meet or beat anyone's price on Ford OEM parts
TousleyParts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2009, 11:21 AM   #4 (permalink)

Should i do anything else while i am in there?
HPOP or anything? I am going to pick up the oil cooler rebuild now so if i need to do other stuff I will get it now.

Paige
Old 12-22-2009, 04:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Paige,

If your going that deep you might as well replace the EGR Cooler. Ford Power Stroke 6.0L Parts Upgrades from BulletProofDiesel.com makes a great one to keep the EGR system in place or you can (for off road purposes only and not street leagal) install a EGR Cooler delete/block off kit... Also if you are rebuliding your oil cooler go ahead and order the upgraded HPOP Filter Screen from Ford Power Stroke 6.0L Parts Upgrades from BulletProofDiesel.com as the stock one is more than likely toast. Make sure you flush the system really good, oil in coolant likes to stick to the inside of rubber hoses and in really bad cases you may have to take your radiator to get cleaned.

JR
joshr33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2009, 05:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TousleyParts View Post
I can sell you the whole cooler for $382 (which are on backorder right now) or the cooler "rebuild" kit for $198.
Those are outstanding prices!! I paid nearly $600 for my oil cooler last March...
2003 Toreador Red/Arizona Beige CC, DRW, Lariat, FX4, 6.0 PSD, Torqshift, born early Feb. 03; AIC; Silverline turbo-back dual exhaust; 155cc injectors from Full Force Diesel (Casserly); SCT with tuning by Tony Wildman (Total Diesel Performance) & Innovative Diesel; ARP studs; Dfuser regulated return; AFE PG7; Fumoto valve; B&W hitch, Di-Pricol gauges; DIESELSITE Coolant filter; Timbrens; Rancho RSXs; Michelin XPS Traction's; a whole bunch of "bling"; Connex 4300hp; Pioneer DEH6100BT; JL Audio 275w amp driving a 12" sub; JL Audio 50wx4 amp driving the Alpine door and rear seat speakers. 380.3hp/786.7ft-lbs (on my tow tune!)

pics

SLAPS President and Webmaster
teamroper60 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2009, 12:47 AM   #7 (permalink)

I have the EGR delete, I ordered it last week and I am doing that install at the same time. I bought the rebuild kit from my local dealer today for 240. I would have bought from Tousley if I had more time, but that was not the case. I started the repair at about 4 or 4:30 today and worked on it until about 10:00. I am trying to clean everything that I can. I fig the more of this crap I get out before the flush the better. everything is out, cleaned, and the up pipe has been done at this point. I will finish up in the morning and start the flush process wich I understand could take the better part of the day. I cleaned everything with hot water and it seems to work much better. I feel like the rad may need to be removed and cleaned but we will see what happens. I am going to use cascade and simple green (not at the same time) to flush as much as i can. Then install the new coolent filter.

What a HUGE pain in the A$$!!

It is not as bad as I expected it to be (at this point) but I dont think it is a repair that should be attempted by just anyone.

Thanks for the input and I will post the results as soon as I have some.

Paige
Old 12-23-2009, 06:41 AM   #8 (permalink)

You need to replace the EGR cooler too because when the Oilcooler goes out that sludge goes through the EGR cooler next and ends up screwing it up too. It would suck to replace one and have to do it all over again in a month or so.
P
06 F-250, 6" Rize Lift w/ 13.5" of travel, Dirt logic 14" Travil Shocks, 325/65/18 Hancook DYNAPRO MT, 4.30 Motorsport Gears, 5" Shop Diesel Turbo Back Exhaust, 55 Gallon Fuel Tank, 4x9inch HID lights on a Custom (Custom=Redneck) Winch Bumper, Autometer Electric Gauges, SCT (Best Mod Yet), CFM BigMouth intercooler pipe and intake, 10k miles to go before the power is unleashed...
patrickrc51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2009, 07:21 AM   #9 (permalink)

prefered flushing fluid: Simple Green (as per Ford) I've seen techs use Dawn dish soap also.

On some of the bad ones, we end up replacing every hose, heater core, radiator, degas bottle

Don't worry, thats on the just the extreme cases, usually fleet driven vehicles

"Hey, is brown stuff inside that tank bad? Its been like that for a few weeks now

Call us at 1-800-328-9552, be sure to mention this website when calling.
OR check out our website http://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/

Check out Ford's website as well!
http://www.fordparts.com/autonationfordwhitebearlake

I'll meet or beat anyone's price on Ford OEM parts
TousleyParts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.