Banks Exhaust -vs- ?? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2003-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2005, 09:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Banks Exhaust -vs- ??

Does the Banks have any advantages over any other exhaust? How do they sound? I heard a 6.0 the other day that sounded so sweet. he was idleing by over speed bumbs at work and when he lightly pressed the pedal I could here the tirbo in his exhaust like it was right next to my ear. The whine sounded cool. Was wondering if the Banks offers such a great sound?

06 F250, XLT, FX4, 6.0, Torque Shift, Dark Stone, Rancho 4" Lift, Banks Turbo Back Monster Exhaust, Intake Elbow, Auto Meter Pillar Gauges, Pro Comp 325/60-18 on Weld 18x10 Cheyenne wheels.
BoostMe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2005, 10:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Banks Exhaust -vs- ??

I'm running the Banks system and no it doesn't have any advantages over other 4in systems. They all flow very well. The differences are material, fitment, location, and sound.
The distant turbo wine you mentioned people comment on alot. They tell me it sounds like a jet chopper spinning up. The Banks system has OEM sound levels when cruising which I wanted. When you stand-in-it Banks has a growl type of tone. Again I prefer the stealth approach but others like it to rumble. A personal thing.
There may be others that are near OEM sound levels but all I've heard are the loud ones. I spent about 90 days comparing exhaust tones before I chose.

Wekiwa
A little turbo tweaking
Modified V-pipe and up-pipe assemble
Ceramic coated most stuff
Bypass oil filter kit
Black on Black
Wekiwa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2005, 10:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

How did you compare the exhaust tones?
What made you decide on the Banks system?
Is it a full system, or do you have the cat?

2005 F250 SD; SC/LB,4x4; Dark Stone, Lariat Lux
6.0, auto.
kevincg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2005, 10:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

To compare I attended a few diesel truck events and or asked the guy driving what exhaust he had.
I new I had found the answer when I heard the Banks kit. You can't hear it with windows up or down. The PSD makes more noise.
The Banks system retains the cat and is considered a full system (turbo back) as removing the cat is illegal for street use... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
For reference, total time was about 2 hours for removal & install.
Beer breaks don't ya know!

Wekiwa
A little turbo tweaking
Bypass oil filter kit
Black on Black
Old 08-02-2005, 10:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the info, that sounds like what I am looking for as well. Did you have to cut any of the factory pipes to remove them, or does everything come off intact?

2005 F250 SD; SC/LB,4x4; Dark Stone, Lariat Lux
6.0, auto.
kevincg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2005, 02:25 AM   #6 (permalink)

Does banks make a kit for cat back or is that pretty much a waste of hard earned money?
2005 F250 SC Lariet SRW LB 4X4 6.0L, Oxford White with Silver 2 Tone, Air Ride 24K 5th wheel hitch, LineX Liner, Nerf bars, Window Vent Shades, Issipro Tranny Temp and EGT on A Pillar, Fumoto drain plug, 5000# rear air bags, 4" MBRP exhaust from the cat back. CCV Mod.
ttt1953 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2005, 06:34 AM   #7 (permalink)

there is a trick to keeps the cat with the 4 inch exhaust. cut the pipes off the cat and weld 4" to it.
04crew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2005, 08:16 AM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)

BoostMe,

The info you have read is true based on the specific system and if it is cat or non cat. The MBRP systems can be installed with or without the cat with our cat delete pipe, this way you get the turbo whistle and a little bit more exhaust note volume. But if you install it with the cat in place (by the way the MBRP is the ONLY system that doesn't require you to cut or modify the cat to do this, the stock cat is very pricey most don't wnat to cut it up to install it) you have a 99% stock sounding system with just a slight extra turbo whistle. Almost all the systems we sell the customer chooses to get the cat test pipe, so almost all the systems out there will sound different than the ones you might buy depending on if you keep the cat or delete it etc. The cat on the 2003 + 6.0 is a restriction, but it's not anywhere near the restriction the old style cats were in recent years, same with the Dodge and GM diesel cats. Cat back systems are good they help a lot, but are not as free flowing as our MBRP turbo back ones, plus the turbo back costs less than a cat back and down pipe so even if you think you want a cat back get the turbo back as when you decide to add the down pipe it will cost you more overall. Call us if you have any questions etc, we'll be glad to help etc.

Mark @ DPPI
Mark Craig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2005, 09:43 AM   #9 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
BoostMe,

The MBRP systems can be installed with or without the cat with our cat delete pipe, this way you get the turbo whistle and a little bit more exhaust note volume.

Mark @ DPPI

[/ QUOTE ]

One very important point- removing the cat for street use WILL get you a very large fine if caught. You also won't pass inspection until its replaced and you show a reciept as proof the fine was paid!
Don't know about other states, but many including Texas can and do pull people over for loud exhaust. If the LEO choses you get another fine.... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Also, there are a few threads addressing backpressure and performance. The OEM cat used on the 6.0 doesn't present enough backpressure to make any difference for 99% of users. In fact, the factory catty can flow enough volume for about 500hp before any significant pressures are shown. Since most users are adding maybe 130hp (and thats far and few between)the OEM cat is fine. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Mark- I'm not disagreeing with you. But the facts relating to cat removal should be made clear to all. I know you folks are good people so please dont flame me over this. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

Wekiwa
A little turbo tweaking
Bypass oil filter kit
Black on Black
Old 08-03-2005, 02:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

Wekiwa,

I notice in your sig. that you run a Banks Big Hoss. How do you like it? Any problems?? Hows the power and milege. My Ford dealer is a Banks dealer so I lean toward them installing a Banks than another brand tuner for warranty reasons.

Also thanks to everyone who replied with great information, sounds like there are alot of good choices when it comes to exhaust.

06 F250, XLT, FX4, 6.0, Torque Shift, Dark Stone, Rancho 4" Lift, Banks Turbo Back Monster Exhaust, Intake Elbow, Auto Meter Pillar Gauges, Pro Comp 325/60-18 on Weld 18x10 Cheyenne wheels.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:56 PM   #11 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Wekiwa,

I notice in your sig. that you run a Banks Big Hoss. How do you like it? Any problems?? Hows the power and milege. My Ford dealer is a Banks dealer so I lean toward them installing a Banks than another brand tuner for warranty reasons.

Also thanks to everyone who replied with great information, sounds like there are alot of good choices when it comes to exhaust.

[/ QUOTE ]

Boostme, where are you in AZ?? You sound like you're in my 'hood.

Dave

- Airaid intake
- MBRP Turbo-Back Exhaust
- Cross Over Fuel Line and 1/2 Banjo Bolt Mod
- Quadzilla Commander
- Zoodad Mod.
- Doorseal Mod.
- X-Springs and F-350 Blocks
- Full Traction 4.5" Hanger lift
- ProComp Add-A-Leaf and Velvet-Ride shackles
- BFG 35" All Terrains on Ultra Predator 17x10s (Hub-centric)
- Centramatics
- Timbrens
- Extang R/T Tonneau Cover
- EZ Down Tailgate Strut
- C.R. Laurence PowerSlider Rear Window
- Sirius Sat. Radio
- Polk Ex3 5x7s and 2 JL Audio 10w0s
driven by a 6 channel amp
- SCT from Innovative (WOW!!)

OH, and new heads from Ford along with an EGR Delete and Oil cooler at 195,000 miles.
DecreasingDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2005, 10:37 PM   #12 (permalink)

DecreasingDave,

I am in your hood, I live in Saint David and bought my truck from Lawley's in Sierra Vista. Good to see neighbors in the forum.

Old 08-04-2005, 01:46 AM   #13 (permalink)

go to rollingbigpower.com sound great good power i have had banks they fit good but you cant here your truck rbp you know you have a truck but it is not loud my friends say when i pass them damm it sounds good i want one
v8jeep86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2005, 08:19 AM   #14 (permalink)

dieseldan1,

Aren't the RBP systems just Magnaflow with RBP stamped into the muffler? I saw this on the Dodge sites I frequent, looks the same as well.

Mark @ DPPI
Mark Craig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.