Banks Monster Exhaust Sound - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2003-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2004, 11:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Banks Monster Exhaust Sound

Has anyone heard a Banks Monster exhaust on an 03 (the one that has the resonator)? I was thinking about getting the kit but wanted to know if the resonator quiets down the turbo whistle alot (thats not a good thing in my book) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img]
Ive noticed that Banks is one of the few companies that has one on their system for an 03.
Also, if the resonator does make a huge difference can you order the kit w/o one. (Possibly the down pipe that comes w/ the 04)??????
TRUCK PICS!

Mods:
LINE-X, SteveracerMOD, Autometer Boost-Pyro; A-Pillar mount, MBRP 4" Turbo Back (What's A CAT?) Polished CAC tubes, Custom Heavy Duty Headlight Harness and Silverstar Bulbs, Heavy duty bumpers I built
RockPSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2004, 10:44 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Re: Banks Monster Exhaust Sound

We have installed many of these systems. The sound is very close to stock in the cab with a little deeper tone. The large resonator in the down pipe makes a huge difference and keeps the turbo howl in check. We do have the Banks exhausts as complete systems turbo back or cat-back and also stock the down pipes seperately.
2001 F-250 Crew, long box, 4x4, Big Hoss level-5 Chip, Turbo Air Guide (TAG-II), Ford AIS air intake with foam sleeve, Monster exhaust, Aeroturbine, exhaust Guide, 6.0L intercooler, Di-Pricol Optix gauges, IHC CPS, Premo Oil Refiner, Banks Exhaust brake, SmartLock, Banks Quick Turbo, Six-Gun.

2000 Excursion PSD limited, Banks Big Hoss level-5 Chip, Turbo Air Guide (TAG-II), Banks Transcommand, UNI 2-stage foam air filter, 4" aluminized exhaust with 4" down pipe and 2 Aeroturbines.

97 F-250 Powerstoke 4x4 Banks Power Pack etc.

2006 VW Jetta, PD TDI, not modified yet[/i]
carnut57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2004, 10:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

So you can buy the Banks kit and buy a down pipe that dosen't have a resonator separetly and it will bolt up the same? ( I was planning on installing myself and i dont want to have to modify the pipe or anything)

Or is it possible to just buy the kit for an 04 and put it on my 03 or is there some other parts that are different besides the resonator that would be difficult to modify.

Thanks!!!
RockPSD
TRUCK PICS!

Mods:
LINE-X, SteveracerMOD, Autometer Boost-Pyro; A-Pillar mount, MBRP 4" Turbo Back (What's A CAT?) Polished CAC tubes, Custom Heavy Duty Headlight Harness and Silverstar Bulbs, Heavy duty bumpers I built
Old 11-08-2004, 05:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

Also, If this can't be done what exhaust does anyone reccomend besides Banks. I definatly want stainless. I was also wanting the most turbo whistle I can get with the least ammount of engine noise-(for lack of a better word) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img].
TRUCK PICS!

Mods:
Old 11-08-2004, 07:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
So you can buy the Banks kit and buy a down pipe that dosen't have a resonator separetly and it will bolt up the same? ( I was planning on installing myself and i dont want to have to modify the pipe or anything)

Or is it possible to just buy the kit for an 04 and put it on my 03 or is there some other parts that are different besides the resonator that would be difficult to modify.

Thanks!!!
RockPSD

[/ QUOTE ]The way the Banks kits work, you could use either an 03 down pipe with resonator or an 04 down pipe without the resonator. If you have an 03 I would recommend spending the extra money for the down pipe with resonator, just because it is so much quieter. You can also buy the kit of the 04 and it will fit the 03. Basically these kits are cat-back systems with different down pipes.
2001 F-250 Crew, long box, 4x4, Big Hoss level-5 Chip, Turbo Air Guide (TAG-II), Ford AIS air intake with foam sleeve, Monster exhaust, Aeroturbine, exhaust Guide, 6.0L intercooler, Di-Pricol Optix gauges, IHC CPS, Premo Oil Refiner, Banks Exhaust brake, SmartLock, Banks Quick Turbo, Six-Gun.

2000 Excursion PSD limited, Banks Big Hoss level-5 Chip, Turbo Air Guide (TAG-II), Banks Transcommand, UNI 2-stage foam air filter, 4" aluminized exhaust with 4" down pipe and 2 Aeroturbines.

Old 11-08-2004, 07:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Also, If this can't be done what exhaust does anyone reccomend besides Banks. I definatly want stainless. I was also wanting the most turbo whistle I can get with the least ammount of engine noise-(for lack of a better word) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]If you are looking to maximize turbo sound in a SS system the Silverline FS104 turbo back off-road will flat do the trick. The system eliminates the cat and is made of polished T304 SS.

Old 11-08-2004, 07:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

[/ QUOTE ] If you have an 03 I would recommend spending the extra money for the down pipe with resonator, just because it is so much quieter.

[/ QUOTE ]

So are you saying that an 03 without the resonator would be unbearable because I am looking for more turbo sound out of my truck.

I've also noticed that many competitors systems don't have one which leads me to believe that its not a necisity.
TRUCK PICS!

Mods:
Old 11-08-2004, 07:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have a 03 6.0 with the banks monster exhaust with resonator, you can still hear a little turbo whine and the exhaust sound is just a bit louder than stock.

I had a silverline fs104 on my 03 and it sounded like I was driving a f-16 jet down the runway with lots of throatyness, flat out loud.

The banks gives you the same performance with a more civil sound, but if you get the banks without the resonator on a 03 it will probally sound like a f-16 with not much throatyness IMHO.

26' Donzi ZF twin Mercury 250's

20 Proline Sport single Mercury 200

GO RAVENS!!!!
troll4rockfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2004, 07:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

"So are you saying that an 03 without the resonator would be unbearable because I am looking for more turbo sound out of my truck."

sounds like the silverline fs104 will make you grin [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]

I had know problem selling my fs104, was swawped with buyers.

26' Donzi ZF twin Mercury 250's

20 Proline Sport single Mercury 200

GO RAVENS!!!!
troll4rockfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2004, 07:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]

The banks gives you the same performance with a more civil sound, but if you get the banks without the resonator on a 03 it will probally sound like a f-16 with not much throatyness IMHO.

[/ QUOTE ]

The F-16 without the throatyness was was i was looking for [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img]

THANKS!!!
TRUCK PICS!

Mods:
Old 11-08-2004, 07:59 PM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)

Check out Bassani's turbo back exhaust. Its as quiet as the stock exhaust with a nice turbo sound.
2009 F250 C/C S/B Lariat. Sterling gray. MBRP Filter back cool duals. Recon smoked cab lights & mirror lights. streetglow L.E.D. sidelights. 2.5'' Icon lift. 35" Toyo open country M/Ts on 20" Ultra Predator Wheels. Access bed cover & bed rug & much more.
gman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2004, 06:58 PM   #12 (permalink)

Dave, does the FS104 fit an '03 Excursion?

Thanks!
'03 Excursion, 6.0 PSD, XLT 4x4, Sunfire Red, Rancho 9000X's, Hellwig rear sway bar, SC Flashpaq, Banks Monster Exhaust, 285 Nitto Terra-Grapplers on AR Mojave's with Teflon, black '05 grille, black bumpers, black Westin step bars, Eclipse CD3422, JL Audio XR570-CXi's, Stealthbox, Kenwood Excelon 5 channel amp, Fox WeatherBoots, Tekonsha Prodigy controller, Firestone AirRide
'01 HD FLHR, 95" Delkron motor by Granite State V-Twin
www.granitestatevtwin.com
bigbid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2004, 11:31 AM   #13 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] If you have an 03 I would recommend spending the extra money for the down pipe with resonator, just because it is so much quieter.

[/ QUOTE ]

So are you saying that an 03 without the resonator would be unbearable because I am looking for more turbo sound out of my truck.

I've also noticed that many competitors systems don't have one which leads me to believe that its not a necisity.

[/ QUOTE ]The resonator in the down pipe is not a nessary but certianly helps to keep the screech down in the cab. If a turbo back system is used on the 03 with no cat, then I personnaly think the turbo noise in the cab is too much for me anyway. Lots of guys like the sound, I like the performance quiet.

Old 11-12-2004, 11:38 AM   #14 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Dave, does the FS104 fit an '03 Excursion?

Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]No these do not fit the Excursion because the tail pipe is different.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.