Best programmer for fuel economy - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2003-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2008, 04:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to capterik
Best programmer for fuel economy

My 2005 King Ranch, stock 6.0 engine has never lacked the power that I needed, even when carrying my slide in camper. What I am looking for is a programmmer that will help my fuel economy, especially since the new ULS diesel seems to have robbed me of 1 mpg. It would be nice to be able to program for different size tires as well, but not required. Any thoughts and if you have an opinion can I hear what I can expect to add to my fuel economy.
Thanks,
Captain Erik
capterik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2008, 04:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

Can't help out with a programmer, however thats a nice looking King Ranch!

2004 F-350 Lariat Crew cab. 6.0 PSD 6 spd.Manual 175,000 miles, Muffler delete pipe, Bilstein shocks, SCT with custom tunes, Innovative.
milo55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2008, 05:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo55 View Post
Can't help out with a programmer, however thats a nice looking King Ranch!
Thanks, its hard to make out the longhorns on the front though.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

Id say about 90 percent of people on here will say an SCT with a custom economy tune.
However, those same people will say tune for power, not economy, as greater economy depends purely upon how you drive the vehicle.
Warn 16.5 ti 16,500 lb winch, semi hidden winch mount
Skyjacker 2.5 inch level + 305/65/17 BFG AT on black 17x9 ProComp 7005
Recon White Lighting
Alpine head unit, 4 channel MTX Blue Thunder amp, Polk component MOMOs up front, Infinity Refrence in back, Alpine MRP450 + 10" Kicker CompVR
COMING SOON: 2 DD 1508s in 1.9 cubes @ 38 Hz + AQ1200D
FarmF350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2008, 07:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmF350 View Post
Id say about 90 percent of people on here will say an SCT with a custom economy tune.
However, those same people will say tune for power, not economy, as greater economy depends purely upon how you drive the vehicle.
Actually a proper program will determine how much fuel and for how long is burned, and that does not depend purely on how you drive. I have 2 diesels rated at 1350hp each and they have fuel economy modes , just like they have mods that will burn fuel like its going out of style.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

I will be one of those who say dont mod for economy. I did and got nothing out of it. mod for power only, you want economy, go buy a car! I dont regret buying my SCT one bit though, the power is amazing and I get the same mileage as I did stock!

2006 F-250 6.0 4x4
SCT Xcal2 w/Innovative Diesel Tuning 466/772 7/19/08

2005 Honda 450R - Under construction
2005 Kawasaki KLX110 - slow

tworocks - "yes I can smell it, but it smells better than my wife, so no complaints."
MDub707 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2008, 09:15 AM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
We do have economy program available, that do work well.

However, if you drive a performance program normally, it should increase mileage. It will be most noticable on the highway, as idling and stop/go traffic can change mileage drastically.

Let us know if you have any questions.

The Original SCT Custom Tuning Dealer!
Custom Tuning for Power and Mileage.
IDP thrives on carrying only the best parts and great customer service. Over 5000 parts ready to ship for your diesel truck!
InnovativeDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2008, 11:02 AM   #8 (permalink)

With the IDs extreme street I went from 16.5 empty on the freeway to 17.5 to 18.5 depending on how much I pass or fun I have. around town went from 13 to 14 and towing went from 10.5 to 12 or better. I do pass more and play more with the truck with the extreme program, so even with lots of fun I get better mileage with the extreme street program.
The only drawback is tire wear is worse with the SCT installed.
2004 F350 Lariat CC LB FX4 Auto, camper package, superhitch, rear susp air bags, Rancho 9000 shocks, 800W/1600W 115v power converter, Ultralite gauges in overhead 4 gauge pod, 04/04 build and engine Reman shortblock at 34,000 Due to oil leaks, MBRP turbo back, SCT extreme street by ID
10.5' camper, 20.5" Bayliner Cuddy 5.0 V8
1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
rubystargoats is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2008, 12:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

SCT hands down is the way to go. You can get great fuel economy, even better than the economy program, with our StreetPlus or PerformancePro prgrams. The key is to keep your heavy foot off the pedal.
dfuser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2008, 07:38 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnovativeDiesel View Post
We do have economy program available, that do work well.

However, if you drive a performance program normally, it should increase mileage. It will be most noticable on the highway, as idling and stop/go traffic can change mileage drastically.

Let us know if you have any questions.
I would love an explanation as to how I can increase HP and improve fuel economy at the same time. It would seem that it takes energy(fuel) to create HP. All I can think is that the factory settings are way off and you reduce the fuel going to the injector but send it at a different time, otherwise it would seem impossible. If your performance program gets better economy than your economy program, why create an economy program? What exactly is it for then? I am extremely interested but I need an explanation, since it doesn't seem quite logical.
Thanks,
Capt Erik
Old 03-14-2008, 07:50 AM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
A slight increase in timing will increase mileage. Timing is the most efficient way to create a more efficient combustion. It's the same as adding spark advance(timing) to a gas vehicle. That's exactly how economy programs are built for them also.

However, if you are running a performance program and you hammer the pedal all the time, your mileage will decrease. On our Economy program, the timing is similar to a performance program, but the fueling is decreased. You push the pedal down and the fuel just isn't there. Some customers like the best of both worlds, so that's where the performance comes into play.

The Original SCT Custom Tuning Dealer!
Custom Tuning for Power and Mileage.
IDP thrives on carrying only the best parts and great customer service. Over 5000 parts ready to ship for your diesel truck!
InnovativeDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2008, 12:18 PM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by capterik View Post
I would love an explanation as to how I can increase HP and improve fuel economy at the same time. It would seem that it takes energy(fuel) to create HP. All I can think is that the factory settings are way off and you reduce the fuel going to the injector but send it at a different time, otherwise it would seem impossible. If your performance program gets better economy than your economy program, why create an economy program? What exactly is it for then? I am extremely interested but I need an explanation, since it doesn't seem quite logical.
Thanks,
Capt Erik
ID has the right of it with the timing info. Does the increase in timing also effect NOx output? I thought I had heard that a slight increase in timing could reduce NOx production?

Eric - those horns are destroying your aerodynamics. If you got rid of them you'd pick up 2 m/g at least

OMC
Old 03-14-2008, 07:33 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMCUSNR View Post
ID has the right of it with the timing info. Does the increase in timing also effect NOx output? I thought I had heard that a slight increase in timing could reduce NOx production?

Eric - those horns are destroying your aerodynamics. If you got rid of them you'd pick up 2 m/g at least

OMC
Well after installing the horns I did a trip from Florida to Arizona to pick up my camper and averaged 19.2 mpg all the way out , same as before mounting them. I think the way they break the wind counteracts any loss.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:37 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnovativeDiesel View Post
A slight increase in timing will increase mileage. Timing is the most efficient way to create a more efficient combustion. It's the same as adding spark advance(timing) to a gas vehicle. That's exactly how economy programs are built for them also.

However, if you are running a performance program and you hammer the pedal all the time, your mileage will decrease. On our Economy program, the timing is similar to a performance program, but the fueling is decreased. You push the pedal down and the fuel just isn't there. Some customers like the best of both worlds, so that's where the performance comes into play.
That is what I was thinking the programs would be doing, the other question is the program able to work on the fly or do you program, then run, and if you want to switch, stop and reprogram.
Thanks
Capt Erik
Old 03-17-2008, 09:22 AM   #15 (permalink)

My experience

I have an '05 crew FX4 sb with 3.73 and 265/r70 /17 tires. The truck is stock. I purchased the SCT Xcalibrator in May of '07. I started out on the towing tune as I tow a 26" race car hauler (14k). My mileage was 12 to 13 in flats and 10 to 11 thru the southeast hills.

As fuel cost have risen dramatically, I switched the tune to the economy and changed my driving style. WOW! Empty, around town I get 19. On the freeway I get almost 24.

As stated in earlier posts, how you drive will dictate your mpg. I try not to exceed 6# of boost from a light and try to anticipate what's ahead. I try to stay at 1700 to 1800 rpms and try not be a traffic hazzard. Now when towing, trying to keep it at 10# is a job.

I suspect all brands of tuners (out of the box or custom) will get you the best of both worlds. So pick a dealer that will help you make your selection and help you out if there are any issues. My Xcal is not "on the fly". I expect there may be merit in those "on the fly" types of tuners.

Now I'm trying to determine if a better exhaust system and air intake will help the mileage in both tunes.
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.