block heater plug location??? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2003-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2010, 07:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to crfishon
block heater plug location???

believe it or not i live in florida and i am having trouble with my truck starting its so damn cold.. LOL!! i know, cold in fla?? yap. in the 20's and 30's and i know thats not bad for a lot of you but being born and raised here it sucks!!! anyway i am trying to find a good picture or a real good description of exactly where the block heater plug plugs into? i have looked and can not locate it. i have killed my battery twice this week so even if i never use it again at least i have the option instead of having to take the wifes car..
i found a link on here but i still can not find it.
thanks for any help in advance

CR
2005 F-250 CREW CAB 6' BED - 6" PRO COMP LIFT ON 22" DIESEL RIMS WITH NITTO GRAPPLER M/T 35'S - AIRID AIR FILTER - HIGH IDLE MOD - 4" EXHAUST - MAG HYTEC FRONT AND REAR DIFFERENTIAL AND TRANNY COVERS - ARP STUDS - SCT X3 - BULLY DOG PMT(for monitor only) - SMOKE SWITCH - RBP GRILL - RECON CAB, BRAKES, 3rd BRAKE LIGHT and EXTREAM TAILGATE BAR - HARLEY HEAD LIGHTS WITH HID'S - AMP POWER STEPS (the best) - AMP BED STEP - PIONEER Z110BT NAVIGATION - BACK-UP CAMERA - A5 ROOF MOUNT SAT W/AUTO TRACKING - 12" FLIP DOWN DVD - PLAYSTATION 2 - PUNCH 45 - PUNCH 150 - MTX10" THUNDERFORM SUB (now JL sub) - PYTHON AUTO START ALARM - SMARTSTART(for iphone control & notifications of alarms) - K5 TRAIN HORNS WITH 200psi DUAL COMPRESSORS(tied into alarm) ><))))*> Fish On
crfishon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2010, 08:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
It might just be a weak battery to begin with, or both batteries. How old are they. Our trucks need batteries in top condition to FIRE UP. My block heater plug comes out the hole in the bumper for the drivers side tow hook from the foglight area. It could be wire tied up if you haven't ever used it. Its just a male plug for 110volt with a rubber cap. you might need a flashlight to find it for the first time. Once you find it hook it to a timer to turn on an hour before you need to leave in the morning and drape the extention cord over the drivers mirror.
2001 X Limited 4x4 PSD;F5 DP Tuner;Ford AIS intake; Magnaflow 4in;Autometer GS 3pod pillar;BFG M/T KM 285x75x16;X-codes and f350 blocks;6.0 trans cooler;Delo ELC;Dieselsite 203 stat,eng.coolant filter,turbo/intake hoses;ITP HPX line,tank pre-pump kit;CCV mod;Hellwig sway-bar;RS9000XL;OEM clearlenses/silverstar ultras;XM radio;Yakima MegaWarrior Rack;Dark Satin Green.

1973 K5 Blazer 383stroker,TrickFlow alum.heads,Crower forged rods-roller lifter cam-roller rockers,Keith Black10.5:1,Doug Thorley tri-y,MSD,ARP,Q-jet,on 1 ton axles,1991 front clip,3K miles on FULL body off rebuild

2003 Mastercraft X9 Wakeboard Edition

Last edited by boomboom; 01-06-2010 at 08:21 PM.
boomboom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2010, 08:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

UPDATE: 6.0L trucks the cord comes out on the passenger side tow hook hole in the bumper !! I have 7.3 so I called my brother in law to confirm with his 6.0 and I was wrong
2001 X Limited 4x4 PSD;F5 DP Tuner;Ford AIS intake; Magnaflow 4in;Autometer GS 3pod pillar;BFG M/T KM 285x75x16;X-codes and f350 blocks;6.0 trans cooler;Delo ELC;Dieselsite 203 stat,eng.coolant filter,turbo/intake hoses;ITP HPX line,tank pre-pump kit;CCV mod;Hellwig sway-bar;RS9000XL;OEM clearlenses/silverstar ultras;XM radio;Yakima MegaWarrior Rack;Dark Satin Green.

1973 K5 Blazer 383stroker,TrickFlow alum.heads,Crower forged rods-roller lifter cam-roller rockers,Keith Black10.5:1,Doug Thorley tri-y,MSD,ARP,Q-jet,on 1 ton axles,1991 front clip,3K miles on FULL body off rebuild

Old 01-06-2010, 09:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
If you cant find a plug, chances are your truck didn't come with one, many 6.0s didn't. You can get a cord at the dealship for expensive or some other places. I got one on ebay for about $25.
Past trucks: 07 F-350 xlt 6.0 PSD LB CC SRW 4x4, black on tan, A/T, 5" exhaust w/4" downpipe, SCT livewire Traded in 04 F-250 xlt 6.0 PSD SB extcab 4x4, 6spd, all stock and 97 F-250HD xlt 7.3 PSD extcab LB 4x4, 5spd, Superchips tuner, 4" turbo back exaust, K&N CAI, 02 intercooler installed, Sold
fireguywtc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2010, 09:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

maybe you're like me (i live in louisiana) and don't have a block heater. i've everywhere! inside the tow hooks both side under,behind,above bumper, inside grill, and under the hood. got so desperate looked inside the cab only to find stale peanuts. if you and i have missed any other areas, hopefully someelse can enlighten us.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:29 AM   #6 (permalink)

The plug in on my truck was located behind starter in the block. Purchased the wire at the dealer and installed it myself.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:58 AM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (13)
IF it came with the cable... look REAL good around the pass side tow hook (front..of course..lol) If it did not come the cable...I believe the connection is up by the starter...That is where mine was/is....No pictures of any of the above...

But you should not HAVE to plug it in at those temps...It will help I'm sure but should not HAVE to... as stated above...get the batts and charging system checked.... by a reliable source....I have found some of the Auto Parts stores around here are not so...unfortunately

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...s/101_1455.jpg

2004 F250 with an 2003 6.0 in her, Dick Cepek Black DC1 Wheels, 315 75R BFG's, SCT X3, 4" DP, 4" exhaust w/ kitty, 5" tailpipe, 6" Fab Tech Lift, MX 6 Shocks, K&N CAI, Awesome Tunes by Eric at Innovative, DVD,135K (Nov 11)

1967 Chevy C-10 step side, 383 stroker, Holley 750, TH400 w/stall, 6/4 lowered, body shaved, gas tank relocated... and many more.

2009 Toyata Venza...the wife's...lol
skrub67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2010, 10:56 AM   #8 (permalink)

I baught my 2006 in Ft. Myers and moved to Cincinnati. Added the cord for the heater, it took about 15 minutes and about $100 dollars from the dealer.not hard to do.I plug my truck in only when its bellow 25 degreese and have a timer on the cord so its only on about 4 hour before I leave for work. I had to replace my batteries last spring. thats probably more your problem. Mine sit at work all day unplugged at 20 degreese and starts right up. I put cardboard covering about 2/3rds of the rediator which helps it come up to temp quicker.
christian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2010, 11:28 AM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpathfinder View Post
The plug in on my truck was located behind starter in the block. Purchased the wire at the dealer and installed it myself.
Right, I didn't say it correctly in my first post. All the 6.0s come with the block heater AFAIK, but many excluded the cord. The cord is what you will need to get. Super easy to install imo.
Past trucks: 07 F-350 xlt 6.0 PSD LB CC SRW 4x4, black on tan, A/T, 5" exhaust w/4" downpipe, SCT livewire Traded in 04 F-250 xlt 6.0 PSD SB extcab 4x4, 6spd, all stock and 97 F-250HD xlt 7.3 PSD extcab LB 4x4, 5spd, Superchips tuner, 4" turbo back exaust, K&N CAI, 02 intercooler installed, Sold
fireguywtc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2010, 12:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

looks like in 05 they stoped including the power cord for cost savings.. LOL!!! anything before 05 the cord should be there. i have ordered the cord but i am having trouble finding where it plugs into. i am no machanic and have never really messed around under the hood so i am having a little trouble. i think maybe its behind the crossmember under the truck and thats why i can not see it???

thanks to everyone for the input; i would be lost without this site!!!

CR
2005 F-250 CREW CAB 6' BED - 6" PRO COMP LIFT ON 22" DIESEL RIMS WITH NITTO GRAPPLER M/T 35'S - AIRID AIR FILTER - HIGH IDLE MOD - 4" EXHAUST - MAG HYTEC FRONT AND REAR DIFFERENTIAL AND TRANNY COVERS - ARP STUDS - SCT X3 - BULLY DOG PMT(for monitor only) - SMOKE SWITCH - RBP GRILL - RECON CAB, BRAKES, 3rd BRAKE LIGHT and EXTREAM TAILGATE BAR - HARLEY HEAD LIGHTS WITH HID'S - AMP POWER STEPS (the best) - AMP BED STEP - PIONEER Z110BT NAVIGATION - BACK-UP CAMERA - A5 ROOF MOUNT SAT W/AUTO TRACKING - 12" FLIP DOWN DVD - PLAYSTATION 2 - PUNCH 45 - PUNCH 150 - MTX10" THUNDERFORM SUB (now JL sub) - PYTHON AUTO START ALARM - SMARTSTART(for iphone control & notifications of alarms) - K5 TRAIN HORNS WITH 200psi DUAL COMPRESSORS(tied into alarm) ><))))*> Fish On
Old 01-07-2010, 01:00 PM   #11 (permalink)

Your block heater is in the engine block above the starter just below cyl.head at rear of block. Make sure you tie cord away from any heat source when you install it.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:05 PM   #12 (permalink)

Lots of them on ebay for 20 bucks shipped ! " 6.0 powerstroke block heater " They are not OEM but should work no problem. There is one OEM for 102.00 on ebay though if thats what you want. OEM comes with protective housing and plug end rubber cover.

Last edited by boomboom; 01-07-2010 at 01:14 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:41 PM   #13 (permalink)

thanks boom, i actually should have the cord tomorrow, ordered the cheaper one off of ebay, did not see the oem one or i might have spent the extra cash but really, i will probably only use this thing once or twice living in florida but at least if i need it its there.. also if i go on vacation up north or something..

i still am unable to get the truck started and its like 63 degrees so i should not be having trouble, i have had a few buddies tell me i might have lost a few glow plugs from trying to jump it and thats why its not firing??? any ideas???

ALSO: i finally found where it plugs in... YEAH!!! i was looking at the wrong angle to see it.

thanks everyone

Last edited by crfishon; 01-07-2010 at 01:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.