BullyDog Power Pup Questions - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2003-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2005, 02:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
BullyDog Power Pup Questions

I am interested in a Bully Dog Power Pup but don't want the monitor.

1. For those that have it, what type of mpg gains are you seeing?

2. Is it safe for the tranny? Can you adjust tranny settings with out having the monitor?

3. If I run it on low hp, do I need EGT probe? Does it run hot?

4. Do you have to leave it plugged into the trucks' computer port all of the time? Otherwise, how do you change hp settings?

5. How much hp/torque does it make at low rpms?

6. To take truck to dealer, what do you do so that they don't know that it's been there, just disconnect the battery?

7. Bully dog's website doesn't have much info on this product. Does anybody know where I can download a brochure?

Thanks

2013 Forest River Surveyor Select SV264
2013 Polaris XP 900 Blue/Orange Madness LE
2013 PJ 25' gooseneck with adjustable dovetail
2013 PJ 24' bumper pull heavy equipment hauler
2014 S&H 16' stock trailer
2014 Big Tex dump trailer
johndeerefarmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2005, 03:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: BullyDog Power Pup Questions

johndeerefarmer,
1. Haven't used it enough to know for sure about added economy.
2. 3 different shifting configurations to choose from.
3. If you tow, get a pyrometer.
4. The PowerPup is a tuner. You load the tune and remove the cable. Adjustments are NOT shift-on-the-fly.
5. See the 6.0 Dyno Shootout results on this website for REAL numbers.
6. Before taking it to a dealer, reload stock tune and leave the PowerPup at home. If they look deep enough at your trucks computer they will know it has been reprogrammed. This is true for any chip/tuner.
7. Not sure about a PDF brochure.

I have the tuner that was used at the 6.0 Dyno Shootout in Nashville. It is listed in the "For Sale" section. BullyDog wants $549.95 plus taxes and shipping. I am asking $475 and I will pay shipping. Let me know if you are interested.
Roger
FireStone Rear Airbags
BAK Industries rolltop cover, Line-X
Truck Build Date: FEB 2004
Engine Build Date: 3 DEC 2003

2005 Eddie Bauer Expedition (Wife's Vehicle)

1999 31'JayCo Trvl Trlr
RLN2ND is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2005, 03:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

I just got a Bully Dog Power Pup. Since then I've found this site and the consensus seems to be the SCT programmer - but I'll see how this works for a while. Addressing you questions:

1. MPG gains are minimal at this point. I get maybe 1 mpg better, but I idle alot as a contractor. Also, you'll find that you get a little heavier foot w/more power. I do think that w/more conservative driving and if I skewed more toward highway miles, that figure would increase some.

2. There are four settings (stock, tow/haul, performance, & extreme). There is programing in the Performance and Extreme settings for the transmission. The first setting is called "Smooth" (smoother than stock) and the second is called "Agressive" (quick and firm). I gather "smooth" and "aggresive" can be used for the Performance setting, and "agressive" would be used for the Extreme setting.

3. I haven't installed an EGT probe yet. I keep the programmer in tow mode most of the time so I'm not that worried about it yet.

4. That seems to be the beauty of this product. You can set the program and unplug, or leave it plugged in and change the program while you drive. Again, I leave it in Tow mode most of the time, but sometimes it is cool to change to Extreme at a light for one quick pass. Also, what is interesting is this programmer works on other manufacturers' trucks. A co-worker of mine has a Dodge and we were able to experiment w/this programmer on his truck. This programmer seems to make serious power for a Dodge.

5. I had problems finding exact figures from Bully Dog also. I think they give generic ranges b/c this programmer fits the Dodge and Chevy also. You can look up the Horsepower Shootout in these forums to see HP/Torque curves for the various Ford programmers.

6. The programmer does allow you to set your truck back to stock programming. Being new to a programmer, I'm still not sure that that's enough. Maybe someone else could chime in here. It seems like to be on the safe side you could either disconnect the battery for some amount of time, or discharge them completely. Again, anyone else chipping in would be helpful. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

7. I agree, the website doesn't seem to be that informative. I think you can still go to any 4 Wheel Parts store to get a trial 3 day download. They will also open a box for you and you can check out the literature & instructions that come w/the programmer (but you still won't see hard HP/Torque figures).

This downloader also removes the speed limiter (fyi). Bully Dog also allows for downloadable capability from their website if programming changes need to be made. So far, Ive been pretty happy with this product. I like the capability of changing the program on the fly.
I think, however, that you'll still find that the SCT tuner is still the most popular here.
2004 F250 CC SWB Lariat 4x4, 4" lift, 295/75R16 Nittos, on-board air, inverter, 100 gallon transfer tank w/built in ladder rack, Weathergaurd side-boxes, Bully Dog Triple Dog Power Pup, Banks exhaust; My home away from home!
smartt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2005, 04:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

GMS,
The literature I have says you need the "Outlook Monitor" in addition to the PowerPup tuner if you want shift-on-the-fly capability. Does your Tuner change HP and Trans settings on-the-fly if you leave it plugged into the OBDII port ?
Roger
FireStone Rear Airbags
BAK Industries rolltop cover, Line-X
Truck Build Date: FEB 2004
Engine Build Date: 3 DEC 2003

2005 Eddie Bauer Expedition (Wife's Vehicle)

1999 31'JayCo Trvl Trlr
RLN2ND is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2005, 07:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Correct. You just leave it plugged into OBD port. That's what I liked - you can leave the tuner in your console most of the time, and then pull it out at a stoplight and change to the Extreme setting before the light turns green. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
2004 F250 CC SWB Lariat 4x4, 4" lift, 295/75R16 Nittos, on-board air, inverter, 100 gallon transfer tank w/built in ladder rack, Weathergaurd side-boxes, Bully Dog Triple Dog Power Pup, Banks exhaust; My home away from home!
smartt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.