Cat/Muffler removed need help with performance - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2003-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2012, 10:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Tspivey0534
Cat/Muffler removed need help with performance

Hello, I'm new to deisel owning and I have a 2004 Ford F350 Super Duty Crew Cab long bed with a 6.0 automatic. I just had the catalatic converter and factory muffler taken off in hope on getting better performance and fuel mileage. A friend was telling me that I should look into getting some kind of chip to help with power, gas mileage and performance, can anyone recommend a dependable one. Thanks Trent
Tspivey0534 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2012, 11:16 AM   #2 (permalink)

I have a 04 f250 with mbrp exhaust no cats cold air intake with a sct livewire programmer and love it I get about 18 to 20 mpg on interstate plus my with the livewire you can monitor a lot about your truck

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
04strokin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2012, 11:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

Check out my vid of my truck against a 6.7 powerstroke

Old 04-05-2012, 09:12 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Tspivey0534
Thanks for the information and the video.
I was wondering of there is anything else I need to as way of modification the my stock 6.0 deisel besides the exhaust deters. I read somewhere about a EGR delete pipe or something like that. Is this something you need to do to increase fuel
Mileage and towing performance on these truck. I'm rather new the deisel truck thing so any suggestions and helpful tips would be greatly appreciated.
Tspivey0534 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2012, 11:55 AM   #5 (permalink)

All I have is exhaust intake and my sct livewire but from what I have read and heard is that some kind of rerouter that takes the unburnt fuel and puts it back in the system so instead of rolling coal you use that fuel can help get more miles out of a tank but I'm not sure what it's called. Also I have found that with my sct the performance tune gets better mileage the my economy tune does

Old 04-05-2012, 02:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

04strokin,you may be referring to the EGR system which is used to control Nox emissions. It reroutes exhaust back into the engine intake and definitely does not enhance engine performance. Removing it does. Check out the EGR Delete threads. Otherwise, once the fuel comes out of the injectors there is no way to put it back into the system. All that black smoke which so many guys think is cool really only does 2 things: It gives diesel pickups a bad rap with the general public (adding to the general support for further restrictions) and it increases engine wear.
1693ta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2012, 03:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

Never said it helped with performance but it reroute the unburnt fuel but maybe I misread sorry for giving false info

Old 04-05-2012, 04:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

1693 the airdog2 is what I was thinking about it cleans your fuel and only allows what the truck needs to be used and reroutes the rest back into the fuel tank so you want be wasting unburnt fuel by rolling coal

Check out the link below it explains better

http://www.rivercitydiesel.com/index...hk=1&Itemid=54

Old 04-06-2012, 06:36 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04strokin View Post
1693 the airdog2 is what I was thinking about it cleans your fuel and only allows what the truck needs to be used and reroutes the rest back into the fuel tank so you want be wasting unburnt fuel by rolling coal

Check out the link below it explains better

AirDog II Fuel/Air Separation and Filter System 6.0L Ford

Like many sales pitches that one takes a relatively minor occurance and magnifies the significance of it to make their point. First, you already have a delivery pump (lift pump, transfer pump, etc) which provides positive pressure to the engine pump. Second, return fuel, in the systems I work work with, is routed through either a bottom tank return, a standpipe, or is of such a low flow rate that any splashing that occurs is not going to produce noticable air. I believe Ford uses a standpipe. Third, this unit does nothing to regulate the injector pressures or delivery rates and will have no effect on "rolling coal". That's all a factor of of whatever tuning and modifying has been done. I'm not saying the unit is a bad thing. It probably gives superior filtration and would eliminate any possibility of air, but air in the fuel flow is a very minor issue and usually the product of a bad line or fitting. Your fuel tank probably rarely, if ever, sloshes as much as that demo showed, and fuel oil does not aerate as easily as shown. That in itself raises my suspicions about the demo. You have no way of knowing what the fluid is they are pumping.
Anytime you see a benchtest demo by the manufacturer of a product you can be assured that the test is being conducted in a manner that gives the very best picture of their product. Real world testing by independant testers usually gives a far different picture with much less impressive results. Could be a very well built product, but it pays to be skeptical.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:10 AM   #10 (permalink)

Completely true but he ask about mpg I had saw this a while back so was trying to help that's what forum are mostly about helping out

Old 04-06-2012, 04:09 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04strokin View Post
Completely true but he ask about mpg I had saw this a while back so was trying to help that's what forum are mostly about helping out

I wasn't trying to criticize you, if that's what you think. You seemed unsure of what you were describing and I gave you my explanation of what I thought you were refering to. As far as the device in the video, yes, I was being critical of that, but not of your interest in it. As far as I am concerned, what you put on your truck or recommend to others is your business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.