Cheapest way to delete Check Engine after EGR Delete - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2003-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2012, 07:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cheapest way to delete Check Engine after EGR Delete

Hello guys,

I just did a EGR Delete on my 06 F250 6.0L and wanted to know what is the absolutely cheapest way to fix the check engine light on which is now On with P0401.

What is the cheapest Tuner that I can get? or any other way.....
miamidiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2012, 07:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Electrical tape over the idiot light.

Or an SCT Tuner.

2006 F-250 PSD, Lariat
Mods: All the usual stuff

"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry" - Mark Twain
dieselmac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 09:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselmac View Post
Electrical tape over the idiot light.
i just look at the light as an indication that i know the truck will last longer now. Just consider the light to be a thank you from your truck. You really only need to be concerned if you live in a state that will not let you pass the state inspection with the light on. Then you need to tune it and you can do a no power increase tune. I just delete the code with my insight as i am passing the keys over to the inspector. Takes a couple starts to light back up. He would not fail it for that anyway but why poke the bear.

2008 FX4 F250 CCSB w/ 6.4L PSD - Edge Insight, H13 Bi-HIDs, custom coolant filter, "all deleted", fumoto.
rock_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 11:09 AM   #4 (permalink)

Is there any other cheaper tuner than SCT to solve this problem? SCT is like $379
miamidiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 01:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

some folks have had good luck just plugging the valve back in and mounting to the intake elbow flange. You can then use a SCANGAUGE II to clear the code and light until it comes back and just reclear it as needed. This will also let you see what is actually going on with your engine.
dannyboy950 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 05:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

There has been a direct correlation that when the light is on the truck runs with different air/fuel tables as shown by different performance and economy. Some have called this "EPA limp mode". The point is the EPA tables let the truck run better. Not as much high end power but more low end power and much better economy. If i delete the code the light goes off and the mileage goes back to what it was before the delete then after a few starts the light goes back on and the mileage goes back up. Seriously, as long as it does not impact your state inspection just leave the light on.

2008 FX4 F250 CCSB w/ 6.4L PSD - Edge Insight, H13 Bi-HIDs, custom coolant filter, "all deleted", fumoto.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Try a harbor freight obd 2 scanner for 37 bucks. You may have to repeat occasionally. otherwise a piece of black tape.
Early Cuyler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 12:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
Ty1

03-04 the lights would never come on. Some 04s and all 05s, just keeping the EGR valve plugged in will do the trick. 06-07, you've gotta have the SCT or some other aftermarket tuner to turn it off. Black tape is cheap, lol....but I'm one of those that likes to have that light incase something else happens so I can know something else is happening. Black tape will cover your light from EGR codes, but it also covers it from Turbo codes, temp codes, and whatever elso other codes that may be vital to know!

2006 F-250 6.0 POWERSTROKE!!!~~6.GO!!!!!~~4 inch Diamond Eye Turbo Back Exhaust, DFUSER Coolant Filter, XDP EGR Delete, ARP Head Studs & Black Diamond HGs, SCT SF3 3015 w/ Custom Tunes from Matt @ Gearhead, Air Lift Load Lifter 5,000s w/ On Board Compressor System, My POV~~

Early 2004 F-250 6.0 POWERSTROKE!!!~~6.GO!!!!!~~ 03 motor, Straight pipe with stock pipe, DFUSER Coolant Filter, River City Diesel EGR Delete, Ranch Hand Grille Guard, Flatbed, Regular Cab...my Cow feeding/farm truck ~~~

2008 F-350 6.4 POWERSTROKE!!!~~Diamond Eye 4 Inch Turbo Back DPF DELETE Exhaust, SCT SF3 3015R Race Tuner, Sinister MFG EGR Delete, AFE High Flow Filter~~NOT A SINGLE REPAIR!!~~~~

LONG GONE>>400,000 MILES!!!~~1999 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke 6 Speed with AFE Cold Air Intake, Hypertech Max Energy, Air-Lift Load Lifter 5,000s.............and of course a Dixie Horn~~~
Ty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 01:48 AM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Something weird with the way the system detects egr flow problems. Most 06-07 will set the codes when EGR is not flowing but some don't with no rhyme or reason.
SCT is the only way I know of and they are at the bottom of the price range for tuners with custom tunes installed.
36 feet on the floor Elite/Outlaw LQ horse trailer.
36 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer.
36 foot Sooner 6 horse large dressing/ mid tack.
2003 EB Expedition 149K (no engine repairs, gas burners are the new longevity leaders)
2004 Volvo V70R AWD-high miler in fleet, 215K (no engine repairs)
2007 BMW 550i 6MT 112K
jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 08:13 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)
Maybe get Power Hungry Performance to hard tune the PCM with a custom PCM strategy. Bill was able to hard tune a tow file based off my PCM strategy onto a spare PCM.

Some stock stuff, some modded stuff, some deleted stuff.....
HeavyAssault is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 08:23 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
Something weird with the way the system detects egr flow problems. Most 06-07 will set the codes when EGR is not flowing but some don't with no rhyme or reason.
SCT is the only way I know of and they are at the bottom of the price range for tuners with custom tunes installed.
My X which is an 05 but has 04 running gear does set a flow light. I did some research and it seems the general consuls is, when it calls for the egr to open it looks for a temperature change in the air moving though the intake. Plus it does look for a change in the valve to tell it is moving, which is why the most common thing to do after a delete is to leave the valve in place and plugged it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.