Do I want to add propane - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2003-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2007, 11:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Do I want to add propane

I recently learned that by adding a propane kit on my truck my reg. tax will go down from $400 + to $16. Which is a considerable savings.
The truck is bone stock, with the exception of the mud flaps, and ham radio. I see no real performance reason for the add on, but to save my tax dollars, I can recoupe my investment in two years, and save $400 a year after. Even if I never turn it on.

What risk is there to damaging the motor, are there any benefits to running propane? Would it cut down on soot build up if ran?
89 F350, 7.3 Turbo,Dually,CC,LWB, E4OD,4:10ls,Electric fuel pump,FT-8500,laid to rest @ 204k
lwhitmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2007, 11:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Do I want to add propane

Well first off I have heard it will void the factory warranty if it causes a problem to the truck. I have also heard that it sometimes creates to much boost for the turbo to handle. But the advantage it does have is more power and better fuel economy. Also you can change the setting to only allow propane injection at certain turbo psi and higher. They added it to truck a year or two ago on "Two guys Garage" and it only injected propane at 7 psi and above.
1996 F-250 CC SWB 7.3L XLT traded
2004 US Cargo 14x 7 enclosed trailer
Markford14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2007, 10:31 AM   #3 (permalink)

I have heard many heads blowing due to propane use on the 6.0 liters. I don't know but this is what I have heard around here. I personally do not want it but I would call people that sell it or make propane units and ask them how it works. It might be useful to you if you can get a big discount like that. Do alot of research before buying would be my advice.
2006 F350 Lariat Dually Crew Cab 6.0 Liter 4.10 gears, SCT Excalibrator 2 with tunes from Innovative Diesel--these guys are awesome to deal with. AFE Stage 2 enclosed air intake with new part to fit the 2006 model trucks. SIRIUS SAT RADIO, Garmin 2610 GPS, Cage off road leveling kit, 5100 Bilstein Shocks, B&W gooseneck hitch, LINEX bedliner, CAMLOCKER toolbox, MBRP SINGLE 4" EXHAUST.
powerstroke6lite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2007, 11:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
KML

A lot of head gaskets blow on stock trucks too and some that just have programmers. Programming should add moderate power and be simple, especially if you are going to add other performance enhancers.

If you have a stock truck...........you will throughly enjoy propane injection. Increased power, and mileage and a tax break too......

It will not harm your truck used properly and it sounds like you use your truck as it was intended........
Old 06-19-2007, 05:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

I live in AZ and would like to find out more also. Where can I find the info on the registration break?
Thanks,
Edge Juice w/ Attitude
ARP head studs w/ new head gaskets July 2009 98K miles
10/24/2007 Stolen from work parking lot.
10/24/2007 Recovered after 6 hours, just North of Mexco. Damage: broken passenger door lock, broken ignition lock.

1995 32ft Fleetwood Wilderness 5th
1975 35ft 3 horse living quarters goose
JohnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2007, 02:25 AM   #6 (permalink)

It looks like you register it as a alternative fuel (propane). I only know of one truck 04 PS register this way, I hope to meet with him this week end to research the story. I will let you know what I find out.
89 F350, 7.3 Turbo,Dually,CC,LWB, E4OD,4:10ls,Electric fuel pump,FT-8500,laid to rest @ 204k
lwhitmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.