Looking for fuel saving chip - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2003-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2011, 11:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Post Looking for fuel saving chip

Looking for a chip that will help save fuel for a 2003 F250 Super Duty Turbo Diesel 6.0. Can anyone suggest one? I keep reading about the DP Tuner, is this what I need?

Fry

Last edited by frydaddy; 02-20-2011 at 10:02 AM.
frydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2011, 09:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

There are a few custom tunes that you can get which will improve mileage slightly however the cost involved in the purchase and obligatory gauges, etc... will negate any savings you would get from it for a very long time.

If fuel mileage is what you seek, keep your rpms below 2K and don't "short trip" it.

Finally, 6.0's don't use "chips", the PCM is different than a 7.3. They use modules or tuners. It's sematics, I guess but since chips are typically switch on the fly and tuners are not, it can be important when making your choice.
2003 Toreador Red/Arizona Beige CC, DRW, Lariat, FX4, 6.0 PSD, Torqshift, born early Feb. 03; AIC; Silverline turbo-back dual exhaust; 155cc injectors from Full Force Diesel (Casserly); SCT with tuning by Tony Wildman (Total Diesel Performance) & Innovative Diesel; ARP studs; Dfuser regulated return; AFE PG7; Fumoto valve; B&W hitch, Di-Pricol gauges; DIESELSITE Coolant filter; Timbrens; Rancho RSXs; Michelin XPS Traction's; a whole bunch of "bling"; Connex 4300hp; Pioneer DEH6100BT; JL Audio 275w amp driving a 12" sub; JL Audio 50wx4 amp driving the Alpine door and rear seat speakers. 380.3hp/786.7ft-lbs (on my tow tune!)

pics

SLAPS President and Webmaster
teamroper60 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2011, 08:45 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply teamroper60...

What kind of investment are we talking here?

I've read up on a few tuners and it looks like they are all mainly to add power and simply display your fuel consumption to coach you on driving habits. So I'd have to get a custom tuner?
frydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2011, 10:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

Programmers around $400 and gauges anywhere from $200 up
06 F-250 x/c 4X4 sb 17" alloy wheels. Tri-fold tonneau cover, weathertech vent visor,Ford floormats and splash guards. HarleyD headlights, Duplicolor bedliner coated bumpers, 08 rear bumper and taillights, herculiner rocker panels, XM radio, bosch wipers, Recon smoked cab lights, Edge Insight w/EGT probe, winter front.

06/10 ARP studs, turbo back silverline, new head gaskets, new oil cooler, upgraded turbo drain, fuel pressure reg upgrade, coolant filter, high idle mod, harpoon mod, pre-pump spin on fuel filter,ELC coolant, 6.4 banjo bolts, CCV reroute.

Truck weight empty fueled up, 4440 Front, 3040 rear, 7480 gross. Hex VXCF4,
SCT w/customs tunes from Vivian at Quick Tricks and Matt @ gearhead
http://www.fuelly.com/sig-us/59122.png
worldwide73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2011, 12:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

Believe it or not my Banks 6 gun on setting 3 got me 3 mpg increase, even with my lift, stock gears, and 38" tires.

Yeah its not the best tuner out there and you can gain more with another, but Banks was the only tuner around in 04 when I bought my truck so dont flame me about using it.

Now the price for the tuner was around 600 I think but I got it in early 05, and diesel here in socal now is hitting 4 bux again,(july 08 anyone?? 5.39/gal).

Basically, I gained another 100-120 miles per tank, about ten gals or 40 bux. So it would take 15 tanks or 4 months to break even on the price of the tuner, which Iv done many times over.

You do need guages and thats more money, but depending on how much you drive, I drive a lot, you can be ahead of staying stock faster than you think, especially when diesel prices will never fall again.

Last edited by dikkstarr; 02-22-2011 at 12:56 PM.
dikkstarr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2011, 08:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

The higher HP tunes I run the better my fuel mileage. I honestly believe its only because I'm not applying as much peddle to obtain the same power/speed that I would on my stock tune. The Looney Tune gets me up to around 22-23 mpg on the winter fuel, but you're not safe runnin' that sort of tune without studs and gauges. You can say you won't get into it, but after you feel the low end increase........ well its inevitable that you'll want to see just what the vehicle is capable of. The next thing you know your mechanic is giving you a heart attack with the cost of new gaskets.
06 F250 XL, FX4, Upfitters, TBC, 15% window tint, 3.73's, Muffler delete, Cat delete, Fumoto valve, High idle mod, Zoodad mod, Harpoon mod, CCV mod, ARP studs, SCT Livewire w/ Looney Wild DD Tune, Dieselsite.com coolant filter, Glow Shift Fuel Pressure Gauge, Ford Blue spring upgrade, 6.4l Banjo Bolts, Upgraded turbo boots, Upgraded HFCM drain plug, Quick Tricks 58 volt FICM, S&B CAI, Monitoring EOT, ECT, EGT, IAT, Voltage and RPM

Horsepower is like a gun; You may not always need it, but it's nice to know its there
mwilbur516 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2011, 11:52 AM   #7 (permalink)

Bully Dog Triple Dog E3 Diesel Downloader. Simple through OBD port, have choice of economy or tow/economy setting. With 4.10's upwards of 15mpg empty but 11's while towing 32' fiver w/ tall frontal area.
" LET'S ROLL !" Todd Beamer-Flight 93
The Lord has plenty of messengers, what's really needed are listeners.
Dieselsite Coolant Filter
BulletProof EGR
BulletProof remote oil cooler
MagHytek Rear Diff. Cover
HID Headlights
All LED lights inside and out
BullyDog GT2
MBRP
A1 Head bolts
Black Diamond Head Gaskets
iwejun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2011, 12:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

Put me up for a vote on getting gauges and save for head studs later if you are going to tune your truck. I believe there are 2 very good options.

1) SCT X-3 with custom tunes from many different tune writers including Innovative Diesel (a site supporter). You can get everything from extreme horsepower tunes, towing tunes to strictly economy tunes. I have tunes from 3 different places, 8 different tunes in total.

2) Edge Evolution Color Screen or Color Touch Screen turned into a Gryphon by Power Hungry Performance. Bill does his own custom tunes for this unit and I believe he is the only one that can write for this unit (I could be wrong).
Edge Insight
SCT tunes by Quick Tricks
Sinister EGR Delete
6.4 banjo bolts
Ford fuel pressure spring kit
Excursion High Idle Mod
Cat EC-1 coolant and a Sinister coolant filtration kit
Magnaflow Turbo Back with muffler
ARP's
Powermax turbo
Retro-Solution Digital HID
tuckman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2011, 02:46 AM   #9 (permalink)

I use max energy by Hypertech and EGT and Boost has never been a problem for almost 4 years.

Saves fuels at 80HP settings at higher speeds over 2K RPM.

Scangauge II has been the best tool for saving fuel.
2005 Ford SD F250, 6.0L Diesel, Extended Cab, 4 x 4, 6 Speed, 2 Alternators, 2008 Mirrors, 10,000GVW, Max Energy by Hypertech, ScangaugeII for available 60 XGauges and MPG. 20MPG and 12.6 MPG Towing a 15500Lbs 38ft RV 5th Wheel.
caissiel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.