The Diesel Stop banner

lower turbo boost after EGR delete

7K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  83CJHauler 
#1 ·
Has anyone who has done an EGR delete noticed if your turbo boost dropped. After doing this to my truck, I went from 28 psi max towing to now around 24 under the same conditions. During the delete I upgraded the fuel pressure reg. spring. Truck is stock with the exception of the egr removal.

Thanks
Mark

#3 ·
That is pretty common, some trucks do it some trucks don't, I think it depends on your trucks strategy. Mine lost the boost but has a lot more power, almost a second and a half faster 0-60.

#4 ·
Ok, so I put in a EGR valve, "loaned from another truck getting an oil cooler changed" and plugged it in and picked up my "toy hauler" from the dealer. My boost is back where it was. It went from 24/25 towing, to 28+. apparently the computer sees that the valve isn't "working" and won't fully boost. I confirmed this with a local ford dealer service mechanic. Unfortunately I threw the old one away, and the new ones aint cheap! Will definitely get one installed before I hoop up the 5er. Empty it would barely get to 20.

Mark

#5 ·
I'm beginning to wonder if installing one of Bulletproofdiesel's modified EGR coolers and running an SCT programmer with the EGR turned off is the best way to go. I just had to smog test my truck last weekend and they check to see if the EGR is still installed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.