Muffler Delete ? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2003-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2010, 06:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Muffler Delete ?

I want to remove my muffler with a muffler delete pipe from Diesel Performance Parts Power Chips Diesel Exhaust Intake Performance Products. I removed my Cat and mow I am looking to remove the muffler. What results can I expect from removing the muffler? Is it very loud? When I removed my cat it made very little difference is sound. Will it lower the bottom end power with the loss of back pressure? Any information will be a big help.

2005 Ford F-350 Crew Cab Long Bed 4x4 Diesel 6.0
Ready Lift Leveling Kit
Pro Comp MRX-6 Shocks
Pro Comp 33x13.50 x 18 Tires
Reese 15K Hitch
Two Golden Retrievers and a Flat Coat
skirk55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2010, 11:06 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
GO for it.That was the first mod for me.Strait pipe delete both cat and muff.At an Idle it sounds like an F-16 outside of the rig while hardly noticeable inside and the same for the muffler delete.But get out on the road lower the back right window and nail the go pedal at around 2200 rpm's it will cackle like a big block corvette.
Sweet Ed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2010, 04:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

I don't know if you weld or not, If you just get a piece of three and a half inch pipe, cut the muffler out, then cut on the back side of the short "S" bend directly behind where the muffler was, turn it so that it matches the pipe coming from the front, cut the pipe to length, weld it all together. This cost me about $20.00 for the piece of pipe to do both cat and muffler delete! Something else you might want to look for, I don,t think your 05 has this, but my 03 had a resonator in front of the cat, It was pretty noticeable change when this was removed. Good luck!!

Last edited by kiley; 12-09-2010 at 04:16 PM. Reason: forgot something
kiley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2010, 07:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

I removed both and the change in cab noise wasn't enough for my wife to notice, but it does sound cool outside. My truck still has the resonator as it is part of the down pipe. I'm gonna order the MBRP down pipe after the first of the year to remedy this problem.
06 F250 XL, FX4, Upfitters, TBC, 15% window tint, 3.73's, Muffler delete, Cat delete, Fumoto valve, High idle mod, Zoodad mod, Harpoon mod, CCV mod, ARP studs, SCT Livewire w/ Looney Wild DD Tune, Dieselsite.com coolant filter, Glow Shift Fuel Pressure Gauge, Ford Blue spring upgrade, 6.4l Banjo Bolts, Upgraded turbo boots, Upgraded HFCM drain plug, Quick Tricks 58 volt FICM, S&B CAI, Monitoring EOT, ECT, EGT, IAT, Voltage and RPM

Horsepower is like a gun; You may not always need it, but it's nice to know its there
mwilbur516 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2010, 08:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Taking the muffler off will it make you lose any low end power? Not having enough back pressure. My turbo whines pretty good when I get on. Will it have more of the whistle when idle?

Aaron Luedtke
New Braunfels, TX
coalburnertx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2010, 08:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

coalburner.....you shouldn't lose anything from doing this, I don't believe backpressure is an issue, I think the turbo takes care of that. As for sound, it'll be louder outside the truck, inside you'll notice minimal change, About the idle, yea it'll be louder and if you have an 03 the turbo will be much more noticeable! It helps everyone on here if you describe your truck in your signature.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:25 AM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
That's what I'm going to do, after looking at exhausts and mufflers, I just said eff it. I'm going to just climb under and cut the cat and muffler myself. I have the tools and the ability. Why spend $250+ to buy a kit and put it on when it will cost about $40 at the local exhaust shop to get two pieces of pipe.
2001 F250 Crew Cab Lariat short bed FX4 7.3L PSD 119k miles, automatic, 4x4, muffler delete pipe, DIY Donaldson intake, www.dieselsite.com Boost fooler, Turbomaster wastegate actuator, Auto Meter GS series pyro & boost gauges, Rough Country leveling kit, Skyjacker dual steering dampener, Mile Marker manual hubs Falken Wildpeake AT 315/75R16, DP Tuner F5, 80 Econ, 120 Race, 140 Aggressive
Enf0rc3r570 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2010, 05:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

The cat delete was easy less than 15 min to complete it. The muffler looks a little more involved. This is killing me I have to wait until this stinking dark cold wet weather is over to delete the muffler. I wanted to do a side exhaust that would exit before the drivers side rear wheel. I added wheel to wheel Nerf Bars. The last step is in the way.

Ready Lift Leveling Kit
Pro Comp MRX-6 Shocks
Reese 15K Hitch
Old 12-26-2010, 03:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

I stopped at a local muffler shop and they told me they can not do a muffler delete pipe because it takes 3 1/2" pipe.

Ready Lift Leveling Kit
Pro Comp MRX-6 Shocks
Reese 15K Hitch

Last edited by skirk55; 12-26-2010 at 05:59 PM.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (64)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skirk55 View Post
I stopped at a local muffler shop and they told me they can not due a muffler delete pipe because it takes 3 1/2" pipe.

that's what the test pipe is all about
Eng Bld: 02/03/05 Indianapolis
2825 Hrs +/-, 101K Miles - No Major Probs other than brakes
DC Power 185 Alternator
ZOODAD, SEIC,
Atlas 40 FICM @ 90K
4" Banks Turbo-Back Duals
3.5" Ready Lift
Bilstein 5100's
315 - 70R17 Duratrac's
Centramatics
Bodiak Front Receiver
SG2
Coolant Filter
HFCM Plug Upgrade
Blue Spring Upgrade
FP Gauge
Zerex Red ELC
2 Stroke TC-3W Oil added 1oz/Gallon Fuel
Band_Member is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2010, 06:01 PM   #11 (permalink)

On the cat delete pipe the one end had two bolts and a clamp in the back. I used a spreader bit with my air hammer to loosen it up, The muffler looks like saws all needed to get it done.

Ready Lift Leveling Kit
Pro Comp MRX-6 Shocks
Reese 15K Hitch
Old 12-26-2010, 11:53 PM   #12 (permalink)

I got my 3 1/2" pipe from an international dealer/garage, I think you could probably get it at any "big truck" shop. A sawzall is what I used, that test piece would probably be an easier install, as I would guess it has a bell on each end?? but if you fit it tight you can weld it up without leaks.
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.